They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dortmund was playing for nothing, and management must be pretty aware of it. Gio will get more chances, he did ok when the games mattered.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Gio looked lethargic as hell. Lethargic and apprehensive. Not the best outing. Looked 17. That’s okay too of course at times. Just seems to be moving a lot less than hazard and Brandt.

3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pandemic gave you a reprieve huh? Think twice before you legally give someone half your life's possessions. Marriage can be a state of mind rather than a contract! I'm not saying you don't have to love, honor and obey her all the days of your life, you just don't have to sign a paper that says that if you don't do the aforementioned, that she gets half your sh!t. I'm not against marriage as an idea, just the way that the law looks at it on the other side. Back to Gio!

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One wonders if they will think twice about that long term contract after that. Given that I've never been paid to play soccer, I wonder if they literally just did not care to try in this game? They finished in the top three, clinched CL, and probably didn't want to risk injury. Do pros actually think like this?

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Heads of state usually seem to only care about their electoral promises when the next elections are close, so it may well be a universal human characteristic.

6. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Gio looks passive at points (to be expected at 17) and looks slow to sprint sometimes.

however, what is clear, he has good thoughts in the final third.

it sucks he got 15 appearances and couldn’t find that first league goal.

once they sell sancho, it’s all on him to be a key player next year. Hyped.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, Reyna showed more initiative in his earliest games; less more recently. On the other hand, Dortmund has looked completely sucky offensively of late. Sancho has been a HUGE disappointment. No enthusiasm, no energy, little skill, no motivation...mmmm, that reads an awful lot like imminent departure for greener pastures behavior to me. Also on the other hand, it is the coach's responsibility to keep the player's collective heads in the game. There have been too many such games by Dortmund. Doesn't seem to happen much with Bayern. Maybe that means something? I hope the attitude problem is not catching and that Gio does not become infected.

8. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    He really does look too passive sometimes and you are right, he is still insanely young. It seems like Gio's natural instinct is to distribute first shoot second. He is often content hanging back a bit on the counter and drifting around the top of the box rather than making decisive runs near or far post. Kinda ironic that the knock on him with the youth international teams was that he could be selfish. I'm sure he will become more goal aggressive as time goes on but some of it might be hardwired in his DNA. I see him more as a creative midfielder than pure forward but hopefully he can evolve into something akin to what Reus has been to the team the last few years. In any event Gio should improve a ton next year and be an important part of the team as he gets his drivers license and sea legs. It is going to be fun to watch.

9. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    So you felloveranddidanido?

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I thought he felloverbutdidntdoanido.

11. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While not directly related to Gio, here is Halaand’s heat map from today. Pretty funny. It seems Favre just told the Team to take the day off.

PalmettoSpur, KenC, russ and 4 others repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So the whole team was horrible? Gotta love the Solidarity

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It was shocking. If you told me it was deliberate I would not doubt you.

madvillain and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    It's because he WAS SELFISH with the youth. He plays totally different with Dortmund. It's been one of the most pleasant surprises in the past couple of years.

15. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like Mr. Adu himself, who snatched failure from the jaws of success, so too did we snatch a ritzy weekend away that was cheaper than a wedding from the long, exhausting process of greeting our friends and family for days on end (not to mention the bill at the end of it). There were lots of dogs and one or two minor celebrities at our resort so it all worked out. Speaking of Adu and Gio...one can't help but wonder how Mr. Adu would fare today, debuting for Dortmund as a precocious young teen. When does the Bundisliga resume? I need another weekend escape from the doldrums of married life (KIDDING, KIDDING)

16. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like it won’t be until September 11th at the earliest:

https://www.kicker.de/777101/artikel/

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like a superior youth player to be selfish. I'm guessing Messi was selfish as well. But one has to adapt when he's among other top level adult players. Gio has done that. No surprise really.

18. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Yea there's little doubt with all the match congestion going into next season Favre was like "guys, treat this like a friendly". BVB are smart enough as an entity to play the long game.

Not saying they weren't trying to win, just that the edge wasn't there and that was due to their circumstances in the league.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In any job, you just do enough not to get fired.

Otherwise, you risk falling to the Peter principle.

comoesa repped this.
  20. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    You assume way too much on favre

21. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    It's a message board and as an outsider we all assume quite a bit. Looking at that heat map it's hard to assume otherwise imo.

I assume he said "don't get hurt nobody gives half a ******** about this game and I expect everybody to be ready to go for next year so after you don't get hurt today go home, rest up and train your ass off for the quick turnaround.

22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if you are god's gift to soccer, if you care more about the three chick pic than training, you're probably more likely to end up like Freddy than Messi.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    No activity in 9 days. Have you guys given up on this kid already? ;)

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    no he just isn’t quite good enough yet for the thread to get irredeemably intolerable.

25. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder how Bellingham's arrival will affect Gio...