They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Reyna is a long strider and when he gets going he has an extra gear. Didn't expect that.

2. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    he's a tidy player as he weaves back and forth in possession. Now wins possession.

3. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Not much of note either way last few minutes.

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Great play by Sancho with Guerriero to set up Sancho for the clincher inside the 6 yard box ... and he kicks it at the keeper. Choked away the clinching goal.

madvillain repped this.
  5. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Good work by Gio holding up possession in the dying moments here.

BVB hold on. Gio did what he was tasked with and helped keep the lead. Would love to see him get a start during the teeth of a game and not when BVB are just trying to bleed one out.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Quiet performance in a quiet match. 100% passing accuracy though, which is a good stat when the team is focusing on holding a 1-goal lead.

Eighteen Alpha and madvillain repped this.
  7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Uninspired win ... but they kept the title race alive and are seven points ahead of fourth and fifth for a Champions League spot. Gio did his job well, though the whole team was more conservative than I would have liked once he came on.

Lookingforleftbacks and madvillain repped this.
  8. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I thought there was a moment or to where they could have played a through ball to Gio but it never came off. As noted would love to see him on when BVB is still in attack and not bleed off clock mode.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    he draws a lot of fouls. I think it's due in part to his long strides/big frame with good close control

excellent skill to have

10. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to believe but unlike Pulisic after he gets knocked down a few times he doesn't try and then play too quickly to avoid contact.

11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ball being played on the left side. Reyna has dropped to the touchline and plays a one touch pass and the ball eventually makes it to the top of the box. Reyna stands in the same spot the entire time and watches. He doesn’t move forward (and he might have moved to the spot where the ball was played) and doesn’t move back to help protect the 1-0 lead while a few other players went forward.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Gio was brilliant as usual in relief today vs. Hertha.

Really hard to believe he is 17.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Not sure he was "brilliant" but he did the job Favre tasked him with. He had to keep sliding around because of the freedom they give Sancho and for a 17 year old that can't be easy. Looked like he started off on the wing and then moved more centrally after the late subs.

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should say that I thought he was fine today and has mostly been fine in the games I’ve seen. It’s just something I’ve noticed

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... Brilliant isn't the term I would use... He didn't flash as much as he did last week. But he was tasked with holding the ball and the lead and he didn't disappoint. The announcers said that the defender was going for the ball on the yellow but he wasn't even close. If Gio gets by clean he is one-on-one with the keeper. That was a huge foul for Hertha to keep them in it and a bummer for Gio/BVB fans. He was also banged down on the touchline again but the ref didn't call the foul. At any rate, aside from last weekend, BVB tends to be in cruise control by the time Gio gets an opportunity. I too would love to see him get a start so that he can be part of the winning offense. Brandt actually had one of is poorest games today but made the key header assist for the goal. He is the one player that I could see Gio getting a start over down the stretch... you can't sit Sancho or Hazard. But when Cookie Monster comes back it is going to be even more difficult to get meaningful minutes. In the end, he is way ahead of schedule... so I am looking to next year for a break-thru. But in the meantime, it sure would be nice to see him get his first league goal.

dams, madvillain and largegarlic repped this.
  16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say age-adjusted that “brilliant” is appropriate. However, he needs to move up to the next level- actual brilliant.

dougtee repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If we age-adjust and country-adjust, we can use the label "phenomenal."

deejay, mace, msilverstein47 and 2 others repped this.
  18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    hands down best american on the field

19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dod gamn, Gio is smooth as hot butter. He almost always makes smart runs to attack or open up space, his first touch is sublime and he has the vision, creativity, and skill to see and execute clever passes under pressure. Really encouraged he came on for Brandt who was playing well and to my eye plays more central and deeper than a role Gio would take up. He's not subbed on for Hazard, Sancho, Haaland, Brandt, I'm sure others. Really good sign when the coach is willing to sub him in for that variety of players.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he’s much bigger than Pulisic. I can’t wait to see them play together.

madvillain repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He finds the game. I wish Adams had as much talent for that. Hopefully Nagelsman will develop it.

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1269397351527002113 is not a valid tweet id

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    SpongeBob SquarePass Jr. Like father, like son.

I didn't know square passing was hereditary.

Shoot!

24. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match context is everything. Guarantee there was someone on the coaching staff yelling the German equivalent of "KEEP IT!" every pass that was played those last 15 minutes.

maroonlaw, madvillain and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Which is the foul that drew the yellow card? The one at 0:42 in this video?