They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    hazard and haaland relatively quiet. might make it easier for gio time

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    think hazard got the assist

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Feel sorry for this BvB team. They have A- / B+ talent but will be undone by a B- coach.

Favvvvvre can make a bad team decent and even a good team better, but he is afraid of the talent and will seek to control them rather than guide them. Dahoud should never touch the field. Hahaland needs a #2 striker on his side and Brandt as the ACM. These are good moves, where this team always loses the plot is in central midfield. Red Shoe delaney and earth witsel and fire are not good passers and cancel each other out. Dahoud is a moron. Either Guerrero or Bradnt will be hurt at some point and Gio will slide into their spots or Hazard moves over and Gio takes his role.

It's a good team, but they could be so much better.

4. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Don’t think we see Gio today given the need to protect a lead. Maybe 2 mins to kill clock at the end.

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sancho on for Brandt in the 65th
    Can replaced Hummels at the half so 3 subs left.

6. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    On in the 78th

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Useful prep for Tuesday's heroics ...

8. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Happy to take the L here!

russ, freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I didnt see him touch it. I could be wrong.

Dortmund clearly not expending energy though. They were just preserving energy for der klassiker

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Given the level of Guerrero, hazard and Bradnt play, pretty impressive Gio is seeing the pitch at all.

For my money, Bradnt is the future star of this team. He will quietly, I think, out play Sancho and Hahaland over time and be the one lifting trophies.

11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I thought Reyna was OK. It was another game where he's coming on after Dortmund has the game in hand and has taken their foot off the gas, so it's hard for him to create too much offensively. He gave the ball away a couple times right after he came on, but settled into the game.

12. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Im a huge Dortmund fan and I hope you are right about Brandt since Sancho and Haaland appear to be moving this summer. But I'm not sure that Brandt could carry this team without those two and Hakimi.

Reus is clearly in the downward trend of his career as is a couple others. Dortmund will have to spend on a striker yet again after this season if Haaland leaves and that would stink.

Favre is a terrible coach and I cant stand watching his style. I'd love for us to play more like RB Salzburg (US COACH) with an attacking style but Favre always wants to stifle things and temper gameplay. As talented as we are , we should be running teams to death like Bayern.

13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 Dortmund full time

There was a ball played to him in the middle of the field by Sancho for a counter opportunity. Reyna plays Schmelzer caused him to hold a bit and Schmelzer decides to recycle possession which is really all Dortmund needed to do at that point.

Mbaubu beat him on the dribble near the end-line late and Gio flapped his hands in frustration.

Really about for his participation. Wolfsburg went down to 10 in the 82nd minute.

14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I am quite surprised and pleasant you brought up Salzburg and Marsch. If you're a fan of football, you really have to love the way Marsch/Salzburg play. You're guaranteed to be entertain.

Marsch runs the kind of offense that wants to put in 4 or 5 goals every game and outscored the opponent. He subscribed to the philosopy of 'attack is your best defense'. Take the game to the opponent, force them to always think about defending and have less than to think about attacking.

Next time Dortmund looks for a coach, they should seriously give Marsch a look for at least these seasons.

- Relatively cheap, he probably won't cost them much in terms of salary
    - Experience with BL football (1 year with Liepzing as assistant)
    - His style fits perfectly with the offensive weapons Dortmund has on hands, and always seem to recruit

16. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I slept in lol. Tuesday's game is mighty tasty at a tasty time too. Seems doubtful Gio will start but one can hope.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Given the level of Guerrero, hazard and Bradnt play, pretty impressive Gio is seeing the pitch at all.

For my money, Bradnt is the future star of this team. He will quietly, I think, out play Sancho and Hahaland over time and be the one lifting trophies.
    Fivver is not a bad coach, quite the contrary, he just doesn't match this team. Very few coaches know how to raise their coaching to the level of their talent.

Simply put: Fivver doesn't know how to coach a talented team, especially in big matches he is timid and picks redundant personnel. He did add Brandt into that ACM role and that is going to make a big difference. Smart player with quick feet.

Marsch can coach with his current style in a smaller league, but as we saw with Bob Bradley, when you play that open against teams with better coaching and talent, you not only lose, you lose big.

I have all the respect in the world for Marsch and the only way to learn how to coach in big leagues is by doing so. I hope he makes that next step.

18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but is Jesse got the job in Dortmund or Leipzig, he wouldn't be playing against a lot of teams with better talent and coaching. If he got the job at, say, Freiburg, that would be a very different story and much more analogous to Bobbo's situation at Swansea.

largegarlic repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why show your hand 3 days before Klassiker?

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's why Haaland chose Dortmund - because he wanted to play for a "terrible coach".

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought Gio was brilliant in his 12 minutes or whatever it was.

23. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    LOL, if you think he chose Dortmund to play for Favre then you are stupid... Dortmund's board of directors is on board with purchasing younger talent and playing them to showcase and make profits later on.

That is what we have become. Haaland would have come here no matter the coach. He plays Champions League footie and in a big league to showcase skill and earn a contract with any big boys he wants. Meanwhile Dortmund profits off that too.

There is a reason that Gio, Haaland, Sancho, and others have flocked to Dortmund and its never for their coaching. It is to earn those big paydays at bigger clubs. If you are a fan of Dortmund you have to embrace that or follow someone else.

24. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I love Gio but I would imagine by the time he turns 20, Dortmund would screw up and sell him off too.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Anyone found an all-touches video yet from his game yesterday?