Ginga: The Soul of Brasilian Football

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by CG, Dec 15, 2005.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He played for Sao Paulo (who beat Liverpool this morning) for 6 months I believe and had problems with the coach, so he returned to futsal. I heard about a month ago that he may be coming back.

2. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    thanks celito.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sao Paulo beat Liverpool!

Goodjob Brasil!! Now hopefully Benfica can do the same thing :D

P.S: Does nike ad a new episode to the Ginga series everyweek or what?

4. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    awesome video....:)

5. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    So, I just saw Ginga on Fox Soccer Channel. Pretty awesome little video. I think it would have been cool to have made a whole show about this...or at least a mini-series. I'm sure Nike and the film-makers have tons of unused footage...

When I read that Romarinho was going to be in the video, I really expected it to be Romario's son. haha. He's suposed to be a pretty solid youngster. I think he's like 10 or something...and yes, his nickname is Romarinho.

6. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The futsal clips alone are worth watching. Falcao skills are simply amazing.

7. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    All my friends have been to Brazil (Bahia Salvador, Belo Horizonte, Sao Paulo...) and I have a ton of Brazilian friends who give me futsal games and pro football matches and watching them makes me realize why the US will never be a great soccer nation. We don't love the game. If you want to be great, you have to love it, thats all. These kids don't have anything, and even the ones who do still just want to play. All the guys I've played with here just play soccer then they wonder who won the Ohio State game, or whats going on in College Basketball. They're just sports fans. Its really sad when all the guys on my college soccer team hate playing futsal because "the ball is too small" or heavy. They just don't get it. I'd play with a cell phone or a snow ball if thats all we had. Americans...

8. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that's funny, because when I was in Colombia, in school (I used to go to a private school), we weren't allowed to bring a soccer ball for recess into the school. During our breaks, we would buy a yogurt drink and use the plastic bottle to play, that was fun as hell.

But man, I watched and it reminded me of when I was living in Colombia, that's straight S.A. life right there, just awesome. I would literally spend from sun up till sun down in the street playing soccer, and after school take the bus to go to practice. Great stuff on Ginga. I would like to visit Sao Paulo (or Brazil for that matter) some day.

9. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Kinda points out an advantage Brazil has, at least in respect to the game, especially in the skills department.
    The kids here who love the game, for the most part, also love their video games, trips to the mall, on and on.. Far fewer have an obsession for the game that can overpower what wealth often brings. And far fewer here see it as the way out of poverty, and their families best chance.
    Most of the kids in Brazil wake up dreaming soccer and act on that dream with every waking hour that permits them to.

10. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its just amazing how much talent there is in brazil. Those kids can't make the junior squads there, but here in US they would be the best player on the field. Good show!

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OMG :eek: !!!! That's exactly what I used to do as a kid in Brazil. Get a little yougurt bottle, smash it flat and play with that. It was fun as hell !!!

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good stuff man. I was down there this summer and unfortunatly I didn't get to play much futebol. I wish I could experience some street soccer games down there. I was a pretty good player in high school but if I was down there for a while just playing street soccer every day I probably could be a lot better.

13. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yea man, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

yea, I was down in colombia in summer 2003, and played a little, both street and on the field, and I feel the exact same way, if I stayed down there and played everday for a while, I would be so much better than I am right now.

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep, that about sums it up. I totally agree with you. Plus soccer is competing with baseball, american football and basketball; all of these sports have been around for at least 100 years. Hard to fight tradition.

15. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    It can change, though. Brazilians invent games that keep them close to soccer. That's key. American do it, too, but with baseball, basketball, etc. They wad up pieces of paper and practice "shooting" into a wastebasket. They pick up a stick in the park and hit rocks like infield practice in baseball. Americans do these things but they still freeze up a bit when it comes to inventing soccer games. I think that'll change.

16. Andre_Fla81

Andre_Fla81 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Anything that can be kicked, in fact.

Ever tried "embaixadinhas" with those metal corks that were around when they used to make glass bottles in the 80's? Really effective when you're trying to impress the girl of your dreams back in 6th grade!! :D

17. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Haha yes when I was in pre-elementary school we weren't allowed too, so we played football in our breaks with tree nuts or rocks, the closest to a round thing we had at hand :D

18. EMarcel

EMarcel Member

Oct 7, 1999
    someone help da brotha out with the music from this show.
    i cant get the beats out of my head.
    they blew me away.
    the editing of the music with the style & elegance of the players
    was great. it inspires me to play everytime i see it.

does anyone know who the artists are on the show?
    is this brasilian hip hop???? electronica????? regaee hip hop?????

19. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    This reminds me of the Portuguesa coach in the documentary, when he says something along these lines: "Nowadays, a professional player must be 90% physically apt and 10% skill... It's not enough for a small player to be great, he has to be a genius..."

Even with such approach, Brazilian players around the world are still admired for their incredible skills. Amazing. That's why they are the best.

I have no info on the music from the film, but I'm curious myself. I know FSC is still showing it, I'm yet to tape it, and I'll take a look at the credits. Great stuff indeed.

20. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    LOL.It's fun! have you ever tried playing with a "bola de gude"? We used to do that back in school:)

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow ... wouldn't that be too small ? :D Must be tought.

I used to play also with tennis ball in the bottom of my building that had a tiled entrance.

22. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Yeah,it was tuff:) But it was fun nevertheless:D

23. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    "bola de gude"? Is that a marble?

24. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes.

25. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just saw the whole thing today. poor paulo cesar. made me want to cry. Maybe someone in the US can adopt him He would be a huge star here!