Gilberto Flores

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know his status?

We heard that he was a Rev and then we heard that it all was on hold and that "there were a few detail still being worked out".

Sure would be nice to have him for this weekend with Joseph out. His form may be less than last year but being on a new team and getting a start in an important Conf match is just the kind of thing to get the blood up in an experienced player.

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must admit I'm a bit surprised by the almost total lack of interest of those on this Board in this player who is said to be joining the team. I would think that adding a young Brazilian DMF who can play a number of other positions, including on the wing, would generate some chatter, :confused:

3. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I know nothing of Gilberto Flores. But if he can step in and play the Shalrie Joseph better than Joseph, then I'm all for him this weekend. Him being better than Joseph is not gonna happen though is it?

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you aware that Joseph will be sitting out this weekends match with a card point suspension?

I also wonder if any major soccer team you follow has a roster made up of 11 (starting) players. Our current senior roster has 16 players two of which are keepers--which leaves 14, and four are off on national Team duty which leaves 10 field players and one of those will be sitting out the match due to suspension which brings the senior roster down to NINE.

Now, do you have any interest in this 21yo Brazilian, able to play multiple positions, who was a starter all last season for the Mutts till he injured his ankle?

5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The traditional gestation period of Rev signings makes me doubt he'll be available for the Fire match.

If I turn out to be wrong (and I hope I am), I'll be interested to see what he brings to the table.

6. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he even practicing with the team yet?

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony? Mike? Dan? Dr J?

Is Gilberto a Rev or not?

8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Our track record with Brazilians isn't the best. It's hard to get excited until we see wwhat he can do. Plus, wasn't he just dropped by someone? The mutts I think. Doesn't add to his resume.

9. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know but I can try to find out....

10. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    If anyone listened to my show last weekend, Brad stated the team was not looking at anyone right now in training, and the rumours are just that, rumours without truth to them. He also discussed the Flores issue, I'm not positive what he said, but pretty sure that he will be training with them this week.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this must have been a recent change because only a month ago Nicol told me flat out the he was looking for a defender.

12. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    These are reconcilable. If revolutionfan is paraphrasing Brad correctly, Brad is just saying that there is noone in training that they are looking at. There may still be players they are looking at through video and scouting.

This and the Cancela rumor should probably be discussed on its own thread. This thread should remain focused on Mr Flores' status.

13. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Who? ;)

14. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new google search uncovered this bit -

http://www.answers.com/topic/gilberto-flores

"Gilberto Flores (born July 5, 1983) is a Brazilian soccer player, currently on loan to the MetroStars of Major League Soccer from Brazilian club Ginasio Pinhalense de Esportes Atlético.

"Flores has struggled to see playing time in his time with the MetroStars - although he has been relatively impressive in his brief playing time, he has struggled both with injuries that have kept him out much of the year, and with the difficult task of breaking into a very talented MetroStars midfield."

15. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that he is hurt and has not yet practiced with the team. What that makes his current status is a little more murky.

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice. We havn't had an injured Brazilian on the roster since May.

17. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna split this thread so we can talk about Flores in the Flores thread and have a Cancela thread to talk about Cancela.

18. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IRGuy must have snuck this one in just as I was splitting the threads...

19. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    opps!!!! did do that:p sorry!

20. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    I was thought that teams were not allowed to wave injured players.

If he can return to his form before his injury last year (still the same injury?) then I think this will be a great pickup. As I agree with IRGuy in that he was one of the better metro midfielders before his injury last year.

21. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Nicol has fessed up that Flores was/is the man of their desires.

He said that he played for the Mutts last season, and, ironically, it was in their early season match that he sustained a substantial injury.

He said the Paolista is in the area but is unable to participate in anything team related to due to issues regarding the league.

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the issue is the TI/SI problem pointed out by Coach Barry?

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Don't be surprised to see Flores in Chicago on Saturday.

24. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I would be very surprised to see him in Chicago or anywhere else in a Revo kit anytime soon.