Gigi Buffon, the legend

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, May 14, 2018.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say it's 50/50 that he goes elsewhere, he's been offered a couple big paydays. Take it for a year and run, then he'll work for Juve.

scirea6 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Marco Ballotta played in the Serie A for Lazio until he was 44. He then played in Prima Categoria as a forward (scoring many goals) and filled in as a part time GK until he was 50.

I am all for Largo Ai Giovani but if Ballotta could play until he was that age, I’m sure Buffon could as he was a much better goalkeeper/athlete.

3. josescorp

josescorp Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'd be ok with Buffon going to Parma to end his career, then come back to Juve to be our manager

4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If he has it within him to try and go for a CL championship, do it. Do it. Just do it. He's already a legend. It's not going to taint his status if he were to try one more time and still not get it.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #30 falvo, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    I thought about that too Parma’s entire club is not worth the contract offer that both PSG and Real Madrid are probably putting on the table.

They already had a 40 year old in Cristiano Lucarelli as he is retiring...

https://it.sports.yahoo.com/notizie/parma-missione-compiuta-lucarelli-ora-213815517.html

Maybe they could give Gigi partial ownership now that Calisto Tanzi is still in jail?

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Retire with dignity. If he was going to Australia or the US to promote the game, it is one thing. If he goes to a European side to win that one trophy, then it is a slap in the face to Juve. I think it is more the media with their wet dream fantasies than anything realistic.

gumbacicc repped this.
  7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My feelings are on whether or not he still feels that he can contribute at a high level. If he does, he should pursue it. I don't think he'd be going out without dignity if he waits another 1-2 years before finally hanging up the boots. Calcio is all he knows and he's feeling that he's still capable of playing at a top level. Other top teams seem to believe he can too, so why quit if you still feel it in your bones? Do what you love!

He has 30+ years after he retires to worry about a career in management, should he want to go down that road. He certainly won't be missing out on any huge opportunities if he waits another year or two.

If it is a managerial decision that he has to move on, for whatever reason, be it they think they might lose Szczesny or whatever and Gigi has offers elsewhere, he should take them. I don't think he's slapping anyone in the face if it is management saying good bye and he still wants another year to do what he loves and is capable of.

You have to admit that after the two mega disappointments of not qualifying for the world cup and the disappointment of the last minute elimination from the CL, that if he's still feeling the itch he deserves to do what he feels he's capable of.

Why go abroad though? Why do that if you think you can still compete at the top level of football, which is clearly in the CL?

Mind you, if it's only about the money, what do you think about Gigi going to MLS @falvo? He should still be able to do well in a defenseless league, ya?

juveeer repped this.
  8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    This is supposedly his offer from PSG:

"...Buffon received a lucrative offer from PSG, which is he seriously considering. A two-year contract worth about €7m per year has been offered to the veteran...."

If that is real, that kind of dosh plus and automatic spot in the CL? I think he takes it.

9. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    The Club ADPed him. Let's face it.

He didn't want to quit playing, but also didn't want to take a reduced role and a huge cut in salary. It was reported a couple of months ago that a new contract would be around 1 million if he stayed.

They did offer him a spot in the front office, so I do think he comes back fear he does retire.

Daei_10 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #35 falvo, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Actually to tell the absolute truth , I’m totally against Buffon going to MLS for many reasons. For starters, in all my years in following the league, I’ve yet seen an abundance of fans showing up to watch a goalkeeper play a game with maybe the exception of the many Mexican fans who came in 1996 to watch Jorge Campos. His novelty was also short lived and he then went to Chicago after 2 seasons. Secondly, the league doesn’t need and almost or 40 year old overpaid superstars whether it’s a GK, midfielder or forward. To me, signing a player that age is a detriment to the league and the club the player is on. We already seen the failures that Pirlo and Lampard were and don't need. Thirdly , if he goes, we all know which two towns he will choose and as a fan, that really is getting old.

Lastly, as a fan of MLS, what the league needs is a lot more 20 something players. We need young players who will be around for at least 4 or 5 years in order for fans to relate to and create lasting memories. Maybe eventually even be sold as a profit. You can't do that by signing a 40 year old. We need a play maker or goalscorer who will create excitement and assists and help out the entire team on the field and even someone who may even possibly be involved in the community. Giovinco seems to be a gem of a find in Toronto for example. I still remember many foreigners who stayed in their respective towns from the old NASL era and became heavily involved in making a contribution to the sport. @Falc will probably tell you the same thing. We don’t need a GK coming in who will be here for 1 or 2 seasons and who’s mind is still in Italy or with Illaria D'Amico.

Largo ai giovani anche in MLS!:thumbsup:

11. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You would think that with all these tributes the last two days on Juve's twitter from teammates and opponents there would be one from Del Piero but if there was any doubt before it is obvious now he is persona non grata.

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    At the press conference, Buffon stated that Agnelli made him a significant on field offer. I don't think this was a Conte era get rid of Del Piero move.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From what I recall, Agnelli stood up in the middle of a conference in November and stated Delpiero's contract wouldn't be renewed.

juveeer repped this.
  14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He did. Conte did not play him and did not want him for the future. Remember that Del Piero was given the arm band from Conte while the two were still teammates. I always suspected bad blood between the two.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read about ADP getting the captains armband in 2001 from Conte but I think that story was overblown. By 2003-04, Conte was in his final year and was riding the bench as a part time player since Lippi came back. Someone had to take over as captain and Alex was a full time starter and also was Lippi’s darling.

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    An extremely emotional sendoff for the legend. He loves his fans as they love him. Credit to his teammates who patiently waited for him to complete his lap around the stands to begin their celebrations and accept their medals. Just amazing

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #42 falvo, May 19, 2018
    Saw that. They are showing the replay on Rai because of the Giro D'Italia this morning.

As for Buffon going to PSG slighting Juve, I'm not sure if he is really doing that all that much. He didn't leave the club when he was in his prime when the club was relegated to the Serie B and he could have do so easily. I doubt Juventus will really offer him a big time player contract PSG will so if he has the opportunity, I don't blame him for taking it.

18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For the dolla bills!!!

But for the money Falvo? The money?! Why shouldn't he do it, and despite it being a defenseless league, he could still do very well. The defenders might listen to him, wherever he would land, don't you think?

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #44 falvo, May 19, 2018
    He will get that money staying in Europe or at PSG. For the good of MLS , the salary caps and structures the way they are and aligned , his odds of succeeding in MLS are pretty low.

Also, if I were in charge of a club, I'd rather spend money on younger dynamic forwards and play making midfielder's because they will change a team. An expensive GK who is 40 going on 41 years of age won't help anything. Especially since he won't last more than 1 & 1/2 years. If he were to come, it wouldn't be until mid July or even August and I don't see how he can change anything midseason.

I don't think the salary caps for either franchise in LA or NY (because he won't go anywhere else) will allow them to sign him.

20. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BA01FF9D-0CA5-4E06-8E8A-09711682DB32.jpeg

juveeer and falvo repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Le pagelle di Juventus-Verona 2-1: Buffon sarebbe da 10, brilla ...

[​IMG]

Gianluigi Buffon abbraccia Andrea Barzagli - Juventus FC

22. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember Del Piero coming off the bench against Lazio with the game and Scudetto in the balance and doing what he always did best.

juveeer, IcEWoLF and Falc repped this.
  23. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    All we can do is speculate about what the future holds for Buffon. One thing we can say for certain is that it was nice seeing Buffon go out in this manner, lifting another trophy for this club. It's fitting that our last memory of him in a Juve shirt is captaining a championship side.

Bibooo, Daei_10, juveeer and 2 others repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He saved Capello's hide as well despite given a lesser role during his two years. Both Conte & Capello underappreciated Del Piero.

gumbacicc, juveeer and ArtemioD repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I vaguely remember the game but can't recall against who. Didn't Capello bench ADP then he put him in and he scored three goals?