Gigi Buffon, the legend

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, May 14, 2018.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffon will be holding a press conference on Thursday at 11:30 CEST. I think we all know what's coming...

[​IMG]

IcEWoLF, scirea6 and juveeer repped this.
  2. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He had a great career. Time to retire. Gigi will lift the trophy on Sunday. Good way to go.

gumbacicc, scirea6 and juveeer repped this.
  4. josescorp

josescorp Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    One of the greatest Juventino, and best goalkeepers in history. Only bummer is he couldn't achieve a European championship. Sad to see him retire but its time for new guard to take over.

Would like to see him at some point as a manager.

5. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve watched him since the Parma days, boy I was super excited when we got him.
    One of the all time greats, nothing but class.

Time to go get some Kleenex.

juveeer repped this.
  6. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    The King of the Immortals.

The group that didn't bail and went down to Serie B and came right back up will always by Juve Immortals. Gigi is the Captain of that group.

scirea6 repped this.
  7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    It is hard to believe, but Nedved was talking about playing with Gigi when Nedved came over in 2001!

Hard to believe how long his world class career really has been.

8. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not to mention that he basically sacrificed becoming the first keeper to win the Ballon d'Or when he chose to stay at Juventus despite our relegation.

We're all grateful to those who stayed loyal, but of those players, Gigi was the only one at the very prime of his career and he could have just about walked into any other club side in the world (with the exception of probably Real Madrid) at the time.

He actually had to make a genuine sacrifice for the sake of his loyalty to this club in a way that the other players didn't. For that alone he deserves to be regarded as one of our greatest legends.

And it's because of Gigi that the one position, which just happens to be the most important position, that we did not have to worry about, during the chaos of the Cobolli Gigli/Secco years, was keeper. I don't think Juventini will fully appreciate just how many problems we were spared for so long just because of Gigi's presence.

It was an honor and privilege to witness the career of Gianluigi Buffon, one the true greats ever to step foot on a football pitch. The fact that he spent so much of that career at the club I love was a gift the likes of which most football fans will never experience.

Grazie, legend, for everything.

Bibooo, IcEWoLF, gumbacicc and 3 others repped this.
  9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Will be regarded as the greatest keeper of all time.

10. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    This is going to feel like a lifetime has passed, the first time I saw him was staying up till 5 AM as a boy during the 2002 world cup. I will never forget those nights or watching the 2006 world cup as a senior in high school.

Its kinda ironic that I saw Italy get robbed by the ref in the Korea game and now Juve was robbed by the ref in the Madrid game resulting in two quarter final exits.

There has been much success tho and life never goes according to plan. I really believe that he can keep going and think he should, but this press conference says it all, no reason to have one unless your telling everyone this upcoming match will be his last.

Like I said, its been a lifetime and he was a incredible role model and had the same magic in his play that Messi and Ronaldo put on today.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #12 falvo, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Barzagli stated last night Gigi was retiring....

12. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Well...he is gone.

Not saying he is retiring though.

Links to Pool????

THEM of all clubs????

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #14 falvo, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    I just heard on Rai he has many offers as a player and as a non player. Wherever it is, I can’t imagine him walking away from the money.

It would be nice to see him on Parma if they get promoted but I doubt they can afford him and he said its a fairy tale.

14. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    As a Juve and national team supporter, for nearly 20 years, I never had to worry about who was playing goal. Though it appears we have some quality candidates in line as his successor, it saddens me to think we will be losing that level of security at goalkeeper.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When Zoff retired , in came Tacconi. Then came Peruzzi. A few years later , there was Buffon.

Wojciech Szczęsny Is a good GK but I don’t see him lasting 4/5 years. I’m not sure how Perin will pan out but they may end up buying Donnarumma when gets more experience.

16. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Szczęsny has filled in nicely when called upon. I would say it's too soon to make judgment.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Szczęsny is 28. He will be around at least until he is 30. If he messes up just like Edwin van der Sar did, he will be gone in 2 years. I doubt Juventus will keep a foreign GK that long. No foreigner (GK or field player) in the lasts 20 years has lasted all that long that I can recall. The only GK's who come to mind is maybe Júlio César who played 7 years at Inter and maybe Dida at Milan who played 8 years but was loaned out for 2 seasons.

18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    The way offers from CL teams are rolling in, and Gigi is considering them, it is starting to look like the Club may well have given him a ADP like push.

19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I certainly hope we don't see him in the red of Pool or Yanited.

gumbacicc repped this.
  20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Szczęsny played very well this season when called upon. He spent two (?) seasons at Roma and one with us. No language barrier & he knows the league. I do not expect a Van der Sat 2.0. If Perin comes in, we have a solid 1-2 punch as we did this past season.

Ilaria has a TV gig. They have a young child. Buffon is not some carefree 20-something who can move abroad with little concern. I don’t see him taking an offer elsewhere.

21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If he were, I wouldn't blame him. If he feels able bodied enough to play and compete at the highest level, why shouldn't he? I think he should go for it.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He has an offer from Real Madrid as well. If Conte remains there, I think Chelsea can also go after him.

23. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    hes definately going to PSG or England.

“Inevitably, a new journey will begin. A new book. It has to begin.

“For I, who will learn to look at the future with different eyes.

“Who will start to pick up new challenges that life offers me with the curiosity of who doesn’t want to stop feeling in ‘the game’. And who will feel the healthy fear of someone who experienced many challenges, at times won, many lost, but who is aware that every one is different to what came before

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    New book, new journey is something different than being a player. Buffon is not going elsewhere to play.