Gibson's new Jebus movie

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by metrocorazon, Sep 19, 2003.

1. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/118857p-107139c.html

Dunno what the big deal is. I mean it was 2000 years ago and its pretty much telling a story everyone already knows and has heard for a million times. People are afraid that it will spark hatred towards jews, but the whole story is already told EVERY SUNDAY to millions of people, and I think 99% of them DONT look at the jews of today and think they were the same ones.

Next thing you know the Spaniards are going to complain about a movie that depicts them killing Indians. :rolleyes:

Granted I havent seen the movie to tell you exactly how the story is told, but the story already exist in the bible.

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may watch it. I do think that the limited stuff they discussed about ultra-conservative Catholics and their non-acceptance of Vatican II is a bit alarming.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Gibson's new Jesus movie

I don't know why those Catholics opposed to the Vatican II "reforms" are considered ultra-conservative and somehow dangerous to the religion. They're simply practicing the faith the way it used to be done just a few decades ago.

My father used to take us all to church, but when Vatican II came along and threw Latin out and dumbed-down the entire ceremony, you couldn't get the guy back into a church with a gun. And he was hardly a fanatic. But all of a sudden, he didn't care whether any of us went or not. They broke a bond with him and he never forgave them. His revenge was to pull our family out and never give another nickel to it.

It should be remembered that this just wasn't a couple of minor changes, the whole thing was overhauled. The mystery and majesty of the Latin Mass and Roman Catholicism overall was destroyed by Vatican II for many people.

When those people who still practice it the old way are described as some kind of off-the-wall crazies, it makes me laugh. I remember how it was when I was a kid. It was beautiful and reverential. Not the cheap and appalling knock-off that passes for it today.

P.S. I intend on seeing the movie.

4. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    So what has he stopped slaughtering the English in this one ?

5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, at least, you are only unclear on what the movie tells and the fact that there are multiple versions of the same story in the gospels.

Oh, wait, that's everything. Um, thanks for your input?

Could you tell us some more about things you don't know about?

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Re: Re: Gibson's new Jebus movie

The whole point is that ITS IN THE GOSPELS. Even if they are different versions. Most people get taught that the Jews/Romans killed Jesus and that the Jews hated him. Heck I get this every XMas from all the Jesus movies.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Gibson's new Jebus movie

Maybe if I type it more slowly?

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2088417/

This is a great and short article about the debate surrounding this movie.

Here's a good article about the criticism of the movie, and how misleading some defenses of the movie have been in the face of said criticism:

http://www.beliefnet.com/frameset.asp?pageLoc=/story/130/story_13051_1.html&boardID=62129

Finally, from that second article, here are three really, really problematic elements of the movie based on the script that Gibson claims was stolen, but probably wasn't

Number 1 strikes me as a huge problem. As do the others, but the first is the worst, IMO.

9. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Gibson's new Jebus movie

Maybe if you go f00k yourself.