Gibbs-Transfer in Winter?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by olafgb, Nov 6, 2003.

1. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    From kicker:

St Pauli’s economical future remains uncertain. After dropping out in the cup competition, the rumours don’t stop that the club will have to sell expensive regular players like the Brazilian Nascimento or US national player Gibbs. Gibbs has a buyout option for 120.000 Euro, but supposedly gave his word to Regensburg (currently 13th in 2.Bundesliga) for the next season. Nascimento at least costs 600.000 Euro. The internal discussions that already occupy the players are getting on [Coach] Gerber’s nerves: “It surely isn’t supporting our performances.”

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in this sense "next season" means the springtime part of the schedule?Most of us AMIs would interpret "next season" as starting in August so I just want to be clear on this point.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    What a nightmare for Gibbs if he transfers to Regensburg, and if they then get relegated...I'd think he could find a better club (why give your "word" to go there? That doesn't make sense...gotta leave options open)

4. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hate to ask but is MLS an option?

If he's not going to get back to BL1 then isn't MLS more competetive than the 3rd division?

5. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Next season means from July 1 on, that's why it seems improbable that someone uses the buyout option unless he didn't sign with Regensburg.

I think that he and his agent will be smart enough to insist on a pro only contract (1.+2. Bundesliga) if he already signed with Regensburg.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    From an online chat with Crew GM Jim Smith on August 8:

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've read in an article that people inside the BL itself think MLS is on the same level as the BL2. So, I'm sure that MLS is a lot more competative and has more talent than BL3.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that should end all discussion on the issue!

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said before, comparing MLS to Foregin leagues is actually quite difficult, because I think the gap in talent is often much larger in MLS.

Yes, someone like Carlos Ruiz is WAY over qualified for div. 3 and probably would be above BL2 quality as well, but someone like Chris Roner might have some trouble making it to anywhere in the Regionalliga.

If you took the 20 most talented players in MLS, I'd think most of them would not have any problem keeping their heads above water in the Bundesliga.

But then some of the bottom half of MLS players would really struggle in BL2. So where MLS stands is hard to say.

It'll be interesting to see where Clint Mathis lands after the season ends. If he winds up in BL2, we'll see how he does...

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry. This is way too logical for Big Soccer

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. How's this?

gAlaXy rOoLZ! slUm JosE SUX!

Better? :)

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ummmmmmmmmmm no, maybe 6 or 8

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    6-8 would start but the other dozen or so could hold down at least a reserve roster spot.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to normal.

How about a starting 11 for European competition(under 27)?
    GK: Adin Brown
    Right Back: Kelly Gray
    Left back: bocanegra
    central def: or Boca here
    Central def: Stretching...Nick Garcia, Jim Curtin,
    right mid: Rico Clark, Chris Klein?
    left mid: Beasley, Brad Davis
    central mid: Convey
    central mid: Mulrooney
    Forwards: Twellman, Ruiz, Donovan, Ralph, Buddle,

tired must rest ...

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    panic, you must be tired... you haven't offered to sign cory for feyemoord yet

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's ready for that just yet. Maybe in a year or two.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    from voros:
    "It'll be interesting to see where Clint Mathis lands after the season ends. If he winds up in BL2, we'll see how he does..."

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 or 8 might be well regarded starters, but at least 10 more would be capable squad players, subs and low table starters.

Of course there's no reason for the BL to want to hire these guys to do these jobs since they already have EU players perfectly capable of doing them as well (but not necessarily any better). But the MLSers could do them.

It's interesting that none of the returning Euro Americans this year (Hejduk, Joe-Max Moore, Earnie Stewart) ran roughshod over the league.

19. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I think it's interesting and tell-tale.

20. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put this into context -

Hejduk - couldn't make the 1st team at Bayer and went on loan to a BAD Swiss team, but played very well in MLS.
    Joe-Max - was stuck on the reserves at Everton and has actually played well for NE (when he's been healthy) - 15 pts in 16 games.
    Stewart - had lost his spot at NAC and played well at DC but never got on the score sheet.

21. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Gibbs-Transfer in Winter?

Uhm, Stewart played 31 games with 10 goals in 2001-2 for NAC. In half of 2002-2003, he had 15 games and 2 goals. His production dropped, but he seemed to still be a strong part of the mix.

The other points are certainly true though.

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how well Frankie actually played for Columbus, they didn't exactly have a year for the ages. If he didn't play at Leverkusen maybe they just had the same opinion of him that I do: that he's a speedy and very hard working player who is completely bereft of any skill whatsoever.

And Joe-Max didn't do as well as his replacement (Pat Noonan) did. Joe-Max had a very good year while healthy, but Joe-Max had some good moments in the Prem as well. I don't see any reason why Joe-Max couldn't have been a fairly good sub striker for a mid-table BL team, had he wanted to do so, and they wanted him for it. At lest for another year or so.

And Earnie Stewart did not play particularly well for DC United. One goal and two assists for an attacking player in close to 2000 minutes are Kirovski-esque numbers. Now sure he could have played better than those numbers indicate and he probably did, but he'd have had to have played a TON better than those numbers to be a top player in the league. Rookie, Jamil Walker doubled his point total without starting a game and playing all of 365 minutes, and Jamil was not much of a prospect coming out of the amateur ranks.

So no, none of these guys dominated this league. Only Moore came close, and he had two teammates be more productive than he was when he was in there.

23. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    So, Cory Gibbs (that's who this thread is about, right?):

Let's look at his career in Germany. He played one season in the 1. Bundesliga and was pretty much a consensus pick for the worst defender in the league. He then played one season in the 2. Bundesliga and played a little better, but was certainly not much above average. He is now playing the in the Regionaliga and is a mediocre player at best. He also played a handful of games for the nats, games which were probably seen by a grand total of zero scouts from Germany.

With this in mind, why would any team pay 120,000 euro when he will be a free transfer in 6 months?

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You sound German, which inherently means you are overly critical and likely often depressed..

Certainly, Gibbs was towards the bottom of defenders in BL1, but he also had an excellent stretch of 10 games or so (out of 28-30 played), middle of season, in which he shut down some top scorers in BL. He was thrown to wolves with little initiation to German game, and showed enough promise. From reports, Sanneh had a worse season.

Last year, I believe he was hurt for more than a few games.

If you saw his Nat performances, you probably saw the same as in BL/BL2. Here is a kid who needs games, but is a raw talent- physically very strong, and a pretty strong 1v1 defender, although he comes in too hard in some occasions. In the air, very hard to beat. The mistakes seem mostly like they can be coached-out or improved with experience. He is not superstrong with ball at feet, but many defenders suffer from this.

German soccer is very tactical, and it should be no surprise that there is a long transition period for any player that comes from the under-tactic-ed USA...there is a lot to learn...

There is no need to be so harsh on the kid. He is still young, and has shown promise. I can see why a BL2 club would spend the money, and I would too if I were a GM there.

25. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Joe Max Moore had two not bad years in the 2.BL
    when he he scored 13g in 30matches in 94/95 for Saarbrücken and 8g in 27matches in 95/96 for Nuernberg, but these times are long time gone now.....
    I think he also had some very good years in the MLS after that, right?
    He looks like a very good example for the theory that MLS is in some parts comparable to the 2.BL.

Now he´s beyond his best and shouldn´t be named as an example for a comparasing.

On Corry Gibbs I had a tough discussion in the Borussia Dortmund Forum, cause a BVB-fan from US wrote that he would like Dortmund to sign Gibbs and I was not really the same opinion like him....

Gibbs hasn´t proven yet that he is better than second league at all, but I think he still hopes that there is a chance for him to make a move to a first league club, what is more realistic if he playes in germany and not in the MLS.

The only american I remember that had a real impact in the Bundesliga was Thomas Dooley.