Gibbs revisited... Again (& Kirovski to MLS rumors)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Stupid_American, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    on that same thread md_05 is saying columbus would like kirovski?

let me be the first crew fan to state that i would not take, nor would i ever want the crew to take, kirovski on their roster. he would cost way to much money <for what he is worth> and honestly i have never seen him do jack crap of anything worthwhile on the soccer field except for one beautiful goal against germany...

this gibbs stuff...i don't even feel like dwelling on it at this point.

3. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I don't usually jump in on the Bergin bashing, but I really think it's interesting that the "Rumor" of Gibbs going to Columbus, Dallas or Metro comes out less than a week after the threads on BS about possible teams that could go after him. I still say it makes NO sense for the Metros to go after Gibbs. He's good, yes, but he would cost an allocation, and the Metros have too many other pressing needs to burn an allocation on Defense.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gibbs revisited... Again

You should be.

MD 05 passed along this information two hours before you did.

Don't start threads until you read the existing ones to see whether it's already being discussed.

So what are you saying here? You claim you don't usually bash the guy but then in the same sentence seem to insinuate that you think he's getting his stuff from rehashing BS discussions.

If that's what you mean to say, that you think he's dishonest, then come right out and say so. Don't give us this "I think it's interesting" Howard Dean crap.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Given Buddle has had bad luck with injuries, and Cunningham's on again-off again desire to stay on this team I would take Kirovski in a heartbeat.

Yeah? You haven't seen him do anything excellent since a goal against Germany? How many total games was that which you saw? 10? Good thing MLS has 3x as many games in a single season.

Price is surely an issue, but with offloading McBride I would almost guarantee it isn't as much a concern as we think. Well, unless Denton is getting Josh Wolf type money in his new deal.

Last year we heard all about Andrulis wanting a three forward set. I would wager that is more his outright philosophy than a philosophy he adapted to the team. So, how would Kirovski fit into that? Maybe as a withdrawn striker playing just behind Buddle and Cunningham? I'd take that in an instant.

It's easy to bash Kirovski, especially on BS. But I think he would be great for his team. Say Andrulis only wants to start two forwards, Cunny, Buddle, or Kirovski cannot take a practice off because one will be sitting the bench, and I think they are too proud to allow that too happen.

I want him here, but I know I am in the minority.

6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I'd take Kirovski. He's going to come here and try to play like a man possesed. The only way he gets back into the National Team fold is if he can come here and light the league on fire. When playing in England he played fairly well, he's just had some unfortunate circumstances with falling out with managers. I'd give him a chance. And lets face it, taking Kirovski with an allocation is far better than Greg picking up a Lawal or a Williams.

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty sad of you to imply that Bergin stoops to stealing BS rumors to start stories. I'm not quite sure where the Bergin bashing comes from.

Yeah, he was wrong about McBride to Rovers, but that was not his fault, but rather that of his contact (who is a top ranking MLS official). MLS, as usual, were caught with their pants down when Fulham swooped in and snatched McBride away from Rovers.

You have any better dirt? How much you want to bet that Gibbs isn't being shopped around MLS? Go back to you swamp hut and slap your meatball cookin wife around instead of trying to think, since you're not very good at that.

8. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point! In that light, yeah, I'd rather give him a shot than a 2nd division wash-up.

However, it appears that the league is initially keen on him going to LA, for whatever reason. Maybe that is what Kiro is demanding in his contract (not that he has much room to make demands).

9. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    kirovski has made a living out of picking up paychecks as practice fodder for european clubs. dortmund, sporting lisbon, birmingham all come to mind. what would happen when he's called on to play an important role on a club? well, judging on his US appearances, not much. remember how invisible he was vs. costa rica in columbus during qualifying? and i remember watching during various competitions over the years that he would disappear during big matches.

that being said, i would support him coming to the crew as long as it is not nearly for league max. simply put, he ain't worth that much.

gibbs would be a great addition. as long as we get rid of clark too.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's Big Soccer. Everyone bashes everyone. It's nothing to get upset about.

Something to get upset about is that bogus fee that ya need to pay to be a gold member on bergins site.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Man, I hate that you people are gonna make me start sounding like a Kirovski apolgist, cause I am not, but....

Let's say playing an important role for a club is being an every game starter for a consistent amount of time in the week to week confines of a season. How can you then judge how he would perform in that role based on his important role with the US Nats when he was a last gasp option after performing only as "practice fodder" in the times leading up to his Nats performances?

IMO, you are comparing two totally different scenarios, even if you are absolutely correct about his performance with the Nats.

12. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You pay a bogus fee to be an upper level member of this site... that's different how?

Besides, if you think I have any kind of influence on that, then you are sorely mistaken.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I never said that you had any influence on that, we know you are just a low level cracker that bergin pimps out :D

I use this site more and get more news, more quicly and more accurately from this site. That's all.

14. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Tell you why it's different...Bergin's site costs almost triple what I pay here.

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, ya don't want to pay and join - then don't pay and join. What's the problem?

I sure don't want to get into another Bergin Defense - if for no other reason than he doesn't need defending.

(And kk: I disagree completely about him "being wrong" on BMB to Blackburn. His story (if anybody actually read the damned thing) specifically said: "An MLS source is saying that the deal has been completed". Which is absolutely true a source DID say that. And the source, as you say, could not be more definitive.

It's not his fault that fifty idiots raced over here to every goddam Forum on the boards and started "Chris Bergin says McBride is going to Blackburn" threads.)

The main problem, IMO, is cultural: the British tabs and football touts have been doing this style of reporting for years: "So-and-so is linked to Team X" uses up buckets of ink over there every day. The fans over there understand and enjoy those reports. Morons over here can't seem to cope with that; apparently in Amrica you shouldn't even mention the possibility of a trade, or discuss some scuttlebutt, until the ink is dry on the contract and the player has been in camp three weeks.

(Sort of like how the Crew does things - a player has to make six appearances before they admit to Merz that they signed him.)

Anyway, with regard to Kirovski, I'd be more than happy to see what he can do with the Crew. He's not an International, and he's wasted what was once a promising career by letting his ego get in the way of good sense.

He went for the bucks to sit on ManU's bench instead of going someplace where he could play and then showed up at Steve Sampson's USMNT Camp expecting to start because he was "with Manchester United".

And it's guys like him who convinced Euros that American players were content to sit the bench for dollars - an impression that has taken years to undo.

All that said, he could probably contribute to the Crew. I have to question whether #1 His ego will let him come here for less than max MLS dollars, which he hasn't proven he's worth and #2 Whether he'll feel that MLS is beneath him and just punch the clock.

But I'd be interested in finding out.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If the mod ain't busy scouring the net for old ned flanders pictures, of sunderland monkees, maybe he can change the title of this thread to reflect something to do with Kirovski.

17. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they both do come to MLS, wouldn't Dallas have #1 first right of refusal to both players, while CBus would have the 2nd?

18. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they both do come to MLS, wouldn't Dallas have #1 first right of refusal to both players, while CBus would have the 2nd?

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    maybe he is out at ricart looking for a new hyundai with cunny...

20. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Let's have a handicapped match, Fid and Hang V. Toon. No holds barred.

21. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bergin is saying Gibbs to Dallas now.

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Beat me too it. I wonder if we'll have anyone stop over and say they were wrong, since he was soooooooooooooooooooooooo gonna stay in Germany.

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demanding! I got back from Vegas last night, and I'm still on Vegas time man - I shouldn't even be awake yet.

I'd like to have Kiro. Provided he doesn't mail it in. If you don't think a crappy US Nat player can be an impact player in MLS, I present one Ante Razov as Exhibit A.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

look tree and i only shared what the guy told us - if he goes to MLS... well... great! but is it at all possible that he's been put in the situation to take an offer that wasn't his preference? anyway, i just assumed the crew board freaked out at me because i was posting something that nobody wanted to read

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell yes!!!!

In fact, Dallas should get "#1 right of first refusal" on every player who comes into MLS FOREVER!!!!! After all, they got so royally shafted on the Adu deal, they clearly are owed WHATEVER THEY *#*#*#*#ING WANT FOR AS LONG AS THEY WANT IT!!!!

It doesn't have to make sense. It just is.

August 2002: Columbus Crew files for Gibbs. MLS says to shove it.

January 2003: Dallas Burn gets Gibbs.

Sure pal: this makes all the sense in the world.

Dimwit J. Dummfukk here aside, what is it you guys are all riled up at Toon about? He's a good guy.

And a side note to all of you who were absolutely laughing your asses off over us moronic Crew fans who were SOOOOO ignorant that we believed Gibbs would actually stoop to playing in MLS after being in the glorious Bundesliga:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Idiots. Go fukk yourselves.