Gianluca Busio at Venezia

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 10, 2017.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this move for the kid. Great competition, he’ll have an American teammate to help settle in, and he won’t have a huge magnifying glass on him that comes from the upper echelons of the Serie A. Great move for he and Tessman.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i hate it. two highest profile transfers in basically club history are both american tweeners going to a recently promoted club.

3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you rather he learn his trade in MLS or Serie A? I know against whom I’d rather see him play week in and out.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i want to see him play 90 minutes every week and be in an environment where he develops

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who says that can’t be at Venezia?

Gacm32, frankburgers and ttrevett repped this.
  6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    absolutely no one. simply assessing the situation he is entering into

8. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American writers seem to always be at odds with Fab Romano. Who are we to believe?

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Normally, I'd say Fab. But again, the American reporters were correct the last time this happened, and Romano wasn't.

Gacm32 repped this.
  10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It appears the Italian definition of over the line differs from the American one. We'll see who's right but last time regarding Reynolds, it was the American ones.

Gacm32, Gorky and Buzz Killington repped this.
  11. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    If he ends up at Venezia, this is one of the most interesting situations involving a US player transfer in a long time, I think.

Two teenagers from the same country and league, less than a year apart in age, playing similar positions and both among the most expensive transfers in the club's history (I know it's just Transfrmarkt but it gets us in the ballpark).

[​IMG]

It's certainly novel if it happens. Don't know how well it would work from a sporting side as I'm not going to pretend to know much about how Venezia played in Serie B and how their transition to Serie A is going.

At the end of the window it will be interesting to look at what MLS outgoings get finalized and compare them to recent ones. Certainly seems like something has changed.

justinkicks, Pl@ymaker and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I’d normally love the idea of two young Americans going to the same team in a top 4 league, but:

1. If the $4M deal reported is right, is Busio really worth the same as Tessman? I think Tessman went for more than he should have and Busio would be going for too little

2. Tessman and Busio play the same #6 position. Busio can probably play the #8 and #10 positions, but if one is substituting for the other or sticking the other on the bench then it’s not ideal for one of the two

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    A better club might not have been a better situation. I just hope the manager is not being force fed a bunch of Americans he doesn't rate.

jjmack repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It may be that we were all systems go until (e.g.,) the Tessmann signing added a significant new data point, for better or worse, requiring some recalibration.

By definition, no one should overplay his hand, but I feel Busio is dealing from a position of strength. He should go to a team that plans to play him.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would likely have been in this case. He's more of a possession-style player, Venezia has no track record to show they'll stay in the 1st division, and he'll be competing with another high-priced American for them.

16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think the manager will be fired before those two relatively expensive signings sit for much of the year. If he's good enough to worry about his playing time he's good enough to earn playing time for this club. The style of play doesn't concern me as much because he's young and it won't be the worst thing in the world for him to learn different styles.

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, they complement each other poorly. So that's another issue.

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Let's just see how it shakes out. But I'm more worried about TT taking this step up than I am Busio.

19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put me in the disappointed by this move camp. But I'm open to being persuaded.

twoolley repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news. At least we're in a holding pattern.

WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.
  22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a skeptic and a cynic, but Fab Romano is really well connected, especially in Italy, so I would tend to believe his intel here as opposed to the people who are listening to MLS, which is notoriously tight lipped when it comes to transfers.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are local & MLS beat guys. They have inside info & it's coming from sources that are more reliable, regardless the prestige of some sexy European like Romano. He's receiving his perspective from Italian clubs. They can tell you what serves their interest, but ultimately it comes down what MLS/SKC would accept.

The beat guys are too saying it's likely, but there's no deal yet. Enough are independently corroborating that you should believe them. They were more accurate than the sexy Italian football journos in the prior case. Reynolds was a done deal to both Juve & Roma multiple times before he was one to the latter.

Buzz Killington repped this.
  24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    How many 19 year old Americans have transferred into a top 5 league from mls?

that alone is impressive. Now, the real work begins to stay up.

As far as he and tessmann... their games complement each other well. Knowing nothing about this team prior to a month ago, Busio and tanner can see the field at the same time. Either way, it’s immediately leapfrogged into my “must watch live” games.

RidiculousLichaj and ttrevett repped this.
  25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m trusting Fab. There’s a reason he is the guy that people turn to for transfer rumors. May be wrong in this case but he’s got a pretty fair track record.