Gianluca Busio at Venezia

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 10, 2017.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dizi, WheezingUSASupport, KenC and 5 others repped this.
  2. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    To say Busio was ineffectual yesterday would be an understatement. 5/14 passing (only 5 in first half) before being pulled in the 55’ for Tessman. Not what you want from your CM. Granted there were several moments where his team just played the wrong ball when he provided an outlet, but after being benched for a couple games, you’d hope he would show better.
    Here’s to hoping he catches form again soon.

3. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Who would have thought back in October/November that Tessman’s chances for minutes would be as good/nearly as good as Busio’s at this point

tomásbernal repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young guys also just hit a wall their first season in a top 5 league. Busio has also had no break in that he’s gone straight from MLS to the Gold Cup to Serie A without much rest in between. I feel like he’s basically been going non-stop since the start of the last MLS season.

Gacm32, WheezingUSASupport, KenC and 2 others repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Three Yanks in a club = An Apple TV series.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The Bloom is off the Rose:
    Gianluca Busio at Venezia

7. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    .big win in the relegation fight! Forza!

8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Honestly, I'm not too surprised. I really hope he does well, and I'm wrong, but I've been skeptical of Busio's upside for a while. He's skilled and has good vision, but he's just athletically limited and tends to disappear when the speed/physicality get ramped up. You can learn to adjust to that and improve, but there's only so much you can do to work around physical limitations.

Tessmann, on the other hand, is someone I've been more optimistic about than the seeming BS consensus. He is skilled and has the athletic ability too. He just doesn't process the game fast enough from what I've seen. Not every player adjusts to the faster speed of play at higher levels, but I think that's more likely to happen than Busio overcoming his athletic limitations.

el floppo repped this.
  9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm, I’m not buying the idea thatBusio had a bad game. I think he put in a solid shift supporting the team. Fotmob has him right in the middle if team rankings for the game. Frankly I’m shocked that a 19 year old with a small frame like Busio has done as well as he has this season.

10. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I think the (possible) athletic limitations is a fair question- but he is still really young
    and playing (way up) in league his 1st year.

It is probably correct to expect Busio will get a bit quicker and stronger and maybe still significantly so. Also reading game faster.

Its going to fascinating to watch these 2 develop. Who the hell knows really where they could wind up (level)

11. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Not that I’m putting that much stock into a retort about an app rating over the actually viewing, but he’s like th second lowest on there by a lot so I’m not sure what middle of the pack means to you. He was not good

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #862 uniteo, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Busio at 6.4, ahead of Okereke, Henry, Cuisance, Lezzerini, Tessman, Peretz and Nsame for the Torino game.

7 worse, 7 better, seems pretty middle to me.

13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Curious if anyone watched this game? It was very interesting from a Busio standpoint.

For the first half of the first half, he was playing like an old school libero. Something changed around the 22nd minute but until then, he was mostly in the middle of the deepest line on field. At one point, he even won a header inside his own box as the furthest defender back. After that opening 20 minutes or so, he played as a traditional 6 until he came out at the 55th minute.

He was good in both positions but especially so as the first half wore on. Physically, he didn't just hold up, he excelled. He had an impressive good intervention to prevent a counter following an attacking corner. His tackle and subsequent pressure created the turnover that sprung the counter for their first goal. Late in the half he was getting forward winning and taking corners, serving in a dangerous one before tracking to immediately prevent a counter.

There seems to be a consensus that he is not up to it physically, but I think that physicality and athleticism will be something that grows to be a big strength of his. He showed that potential in this match.

superdave, gogorath, Dizi and 7 others repped this.
  14. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I'm a big fan of showing factual info whenever possible (especially when it's really easy to present it), here's the link to the fotmob ratings for the game in question. His rating here was better than 4 other starters on his team.

Winoman and uniteo repped this.
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thank you, although I'm a big fan of showing factual information only when it supports my argument. When it doesn't, my strong preference is to obfuscate.

nobody, Dizi, eliwood and 7 others repped this.
  16. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    If we're going down this pedantic road, I might as well play. Let's talk about the starters since it's silly to add in ratings for the subs who came in with 13' to play.

He did better than 4 other starters (barely), and was ~half a point below the next worse. The ratings show a fairly obvious gulf between those that played well and those that did not perform, hence the overall average for the starters being a 7 vs his 6.4.

Five passes in one half as a CM. FIVE. barely more in the second half, and only connected on a third of his passes. as a CM. But sure, played super well..... and was yanked in the 55' for playing super well.

I love Busio, but take off the rose colored glasses.

tomásbernal repped this.
  17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Seems like you are making your analysis 100% off the numbers. I'm sure his yellow card that he took 30 seconds into the game affected his rating. It was also the reason that he was pulled out at the 55th minute. You keep talking about him playing center mid, but he was planted pretty much in the back line for the first 20 minutes of the game. Most of his significant contributions were defensive -- when he was in the midfield, it was clearly as a 6.

I think he played well. I'm hoping someone puts together a compilation since this was a unique game for him in his positioning and as he showed some real physicality.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you're speaking to me directly, but nonetheless I have want to make clear that I have no glasses on. I was just trying to provide the actual, legit, factual info (from fotmob, but whatever) that the discussion was about. Not trying to pick a side, just want people to see for themselves what actually is. That way people can have an actual discussion about the importance of this information and what it tells us.

Too often on BS (and elsewhere) folks say whatever they want as if there's data to back it up. This might be in the vein of, to create an example, "X player has the highest pass completion percentage on his team this season" but then provides no link to a comparison of pass completion on his team this season. Some people will automatically agree that it's true (even when it's completely bogus), and then we're stuck in a cycle of bullshit feeding bullshit to support whatever narrative. I hate this, hence why I try to provide factual info when it's available to me and I know where to find it.

TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He was pulled because of the yellow card in a critical match they were leading - the very reason was audible during the game.

comoesa, Dizi, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Ok thank you! I felt crazy like…has there been another match since his early yellow?

Busio was unfortunate to be cautioned soon after kickoff. Refs usually hold back, maybe issue a warning and let guys settle in.

Not this time

dark knight repped this.
  21. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why he’s not on the roster today?

edcrocker repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yellow card accumulation.

23. gnk

gnk Member+