Gianluca Busio at Venezia

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 10, 2017.

1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    LOL. Dream on.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to build a new stadium ANYWHERE in Italy?

Juve managed to do it it by paying for the reconstruction the Delle Alpi that was built for the Torino Olympics. Otherwise NADA.

The Milans and Roma have been batting about new stadia for over a decade and nothing has been approved l;et alone started. Rocco tried to UPRGADE the Fiorentina stadia and was refused.

To build a new one of these on the mainland.....I can't even imagine the politics involved in that.

2. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    His game has sped up, he didn't look uncomfortable on the ball during the highlight clip. By this I mean he is being more efficient with his touches, & his touch is putting him into a position to do good things. I don't know if this was a one off due to Fiorentina or if he is now settling in.

I do know if he continues progressing like this he will be packing his bags next year as he will be sold for a decent profit to a bigger club.

3. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    He has improved a lot in a very short period of time.

adam tash and gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup I’d recommend going two sizes up and defending on your frame, you might be entirely out of luck.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I suggest a floating stadium - just disguise it as one of the Venetian islands. Or heck, take over one of the islands. There's got to be one that they can buy. Then everyone goes by boat - best atmosphere ever.

6. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yeah, it is a possibility....but he still really needs to work on eliminating from his game that 1-2 times a game where he seems to get caught out kind of flat footed....where the defender reads his intentions, seals him off and steals the ball (and goes the other way) or he makes a bad pass (while the lines of his team are advancing at speed)

Top teams will make him pay for those mistakes.

There are ways to lose the ball in which you don't get caught out or your team doesn't get caught out (to such a high degree).

Look this is a great story so far, so not trying to be Debbie Downer. Lots to celebrate. But he just needs that little bit more concentration over the full 90 to eradicate this (what I'll call bad habit) since it has popped up in every highlights package of games I've seen (5 or 6 so far).

Very doable problem to fix.

adam tash repped this.
  7. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I’ll say this a diffferent way. He needs to get better at recognizing when To just hoof the ball to the corners. You see players like Jorginho recognize so quickly when there are no available passes and know they can’t beat players off the dribble so time to just get the forwards on their horses.

busio isn’t wide enough or quick enough to hold off a strong press a lot of the time so he has to recognize when to just send it sometimes.

8. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    Yes it's very noticeable, especially with how fast he is now playing with the ball. Maybe it was just a lack of pressure by Fiortina, but he looked a lot more composed on the ball, & had his head up looking for team mates almost immediately.

juveeer and adam tash repped this.
  9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Venezia Fleet vs. the Volunteer Navy. One has better food (and clothes) for sure, but the other is larger and has lots of moonshine. And, apparently, golf balls.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  10. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    One of the biggest hindrances for construction in Italy are the cultural resource protections.
    This is an ol country in terms of humanoid occupation over the last 500k+ years.

Every time they stick a shovel in the ground they have to call a stop work and then call in the archaeologists. There is/was (I was there in 2011) a metro tunnel that was semi jokingly called the longest tunnel ever built. No physical length but time

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Italy: archaeology disguised as road repaving. Although London runs into that problem fairly frequently as well, it seems.

gjackson2207, Winoman and Hobo repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend lives in Greece. It's a constant problem for them. They keep finding what he calls "ancient stuff" and the project grounds to a halt.

13. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have these issues in Germany as well, especially in areas where the Romans were. As an added bonus, they still discover WWII bombs that never detonated and have to clear the entire area until the bomb squad can take care of it.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm.....maybe playing and practicing at higher level and with higher level teammates actually postively impacts a player's level.....

....maybe a player's level is not static regardless of what league they are in and team they are on....just maybe.....

gjackson2207 repped this.
  15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'll keep saying this it's amazing how quickly Busio is adapting in Italy. May be hyperbolic but to me he looks like a completely different player from the kid who was at Gold Cup.

Of course doesn't hurt that Venezia is seeing a jump in their cohesion as their 10000 signings get used to playing together.

I'll keep saying this based on how they play I'd be very shocked if they don't stay up this year

16. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Venezia look a decent squad and they have a very solid chance of staying up after securing a massive upgrade at keeper. That leadership at the back will go a very long way.

As to Busio, dude has been ballin' from minute one since he got there. (and no, he didn't look good because Fiorentina were soft - they were playing to move up to the 4th spot in the table after all.) Some players fix the holes in their games when the competition gets better and can exploit those deficiencies; it seems Busio is one of those guys. He has looked really excellent overall and as Venezia gets a bit better, (matchday 1 to matchday 8 has seen a big improvement) I think Busio will really start getting applauded throughout Serie A for his quality.

17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to give a lot of kudos to the ownership and management. They've assembled all the pieces and have a really exciting foundation. This feels very much like a Football Manager save going right.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KenC, Namdynamo, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  19. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Ugh he’s coming off injured. He had to be helped off.

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Took a boot to the knee area. Looked more painful than anything, but we will see. Yep, he is back on.

21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He's back on.

KenC, eliwood and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    And he may come off at the half. Was slow getting off the field with the help of trainers.

23. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Helped off again at halftime. He had to put in a ton of hard defensive work as Sassuolo really poured the pressure on after a Venezia wonder strike opened the scoring.

KenC, LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has grown in confidence and stature since the season began. I was just thinking how much his teammates seem to trust him. Shame if he has to sit out now but it didn't look good.

25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Yep, subbed out at halftime.

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.