Getting ready for the 2024 Olympics

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #151 Smallchief, Jul 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
    Switzerland is a bit buttoned-down for my taste also but I haven't been there for 25 years. However, I think that most of the many surveys of "freedom" (however that is defined) have similar rankings with the Nordic countries and northern Europe coming out on top.

I think most of those surveys focus on the freedom of the individual to participate in the society and to pursue his or her self interest -- but not on nit-picky government rules, provided that those rules are made through a broad-based democratic process. In other words, maybe the Swiss as a democratic society like regulations. Economically speaking it hasn't hurt them.

Somewhat comparable to the Swiss acceptance of rules, are the ubiquitous home owner, neighborhood, and condo associations widely accepted in the U.S. that impose rules on what you can and can't do with your property, i.e. cut your grass, plant a tree, color you paint your house, etc. I find those things to be irritating.

2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that list seems a little suspect to me, but I'd have to see the indicators that the compiler is using.
    When I hear the words freedom or democracy, the right of free speech has to be at the top and very heavily weighed, along with other civil liberties.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mal will do well, but I think Trinity is Mal 3.0.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have heard Mal compared to Hamm. However I think Mal's only real weakness is the lack of much of an edge to her play. She is very good and very skillful but this quote from Hamm is one I cannot see Mal ever uttering.
    Soccer isn’t very social. Plus, if you don’t like someone on the other team, you can do something about it.” – Mia Hamm
    On the other side I can see Rodman saying that, and a good deal more, but she lacks some of the skill that Mal has.

That is we do have the equivalent of Mia on this team but it is combined in two players. In some ways that is not ideal but it is pretty good particularly when they play off each other. That may be one of the best Female twosomes ever in women's soccer but it still takes a coach that designs a style and system to take advantage of those two.

These Olympics may well prove to be that pairing's coming out party and, if they work as well together as I think they should they may well end up the top scoring pair in the tournament.

But things could go markedly wrong and instead of being a complementary pairing they could just fail to work off of each other well and stink up the field.
    It all depends on coaching and exactly what Hayse will have them doing is very much unknown as we have not even seen much in the way of matches with Hayse in charge.

We will finally have a good view of the future of the USWNT after the group matches.

Things can, and probably will, go in unexpected directions as we play more matches and it could end up that some totally unexpected pairings work while what I, or others, expect proves to have just been the soccer equivalent opium induced fantasities. But that can be fun anyway. ;) :D

Crazyhorse repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hayes used different configurations in her first two games(vs Korea)as head coach(4-2-3-1 first game/3-5-2 second). She’s used the 4-4-2 quite frequently with her Chelsea club. So could be she’s going to switch tactically game after game. She also made eight starter changes. All of which is a far cry from Vlatko with his same old, old lineups & 4-3-3, but now got to worry if the players can adapt to these continues changes.

On the other hand, it’s a stronger roster than last year, helped out now by a much improved NWSL league.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I in the minority with thinking this is the best group of forwards under 24 ever?

MRAD12 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I agree.

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    And that's a majority right there?:p

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No, I agree. But today with the news that Macario is out and Williams is in...not a Lynn Williams fan.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    would have rather seen Bethune. Seen posts that Emily Sams is taking the alternate spot now—-that I’m really happy with

Crazyhorse and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Hopefully we're in a position where she can eat minutes in the group stage so that swanson/rodman can stay fresh for the knock-out rounds.

Woman-marking Paraluello if we meet Spain but that's not a conversation anybody is ready to have :)

Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #162 cpthomas, Jul 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    Note that Spain lost to Iceland [correction: Czech Republic:confused:] today in the Euro qualifiers.

sitruc and Crazyhorse repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So Macario’s out of the Olympics, anybody know the extend of the injury?
    Didn’t know they play two games in one day as Spain already lost to Czech Republic earlier today

cpthomas repped this.
  14. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hotjam2 repped this.
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    It is the surgical knee still-- keeps heating up whenever she plays...

hotjam2 and imasyko repped this.
  16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming up with a starting XI without Trinity Rodman is, I still believe, a priority. I think most of us agree Swanson-Smith-Rodman is a dynamic front three — I simply fear Rodman, if allowed to assume a starting role is hers, is a red card waiting-to-happen.

And it creates problems as both of her natural replacements on the roster, Dunn and Williams, are players I have long spoken up for but are simply not the same players they were at the last Olympics three years ago.

So maybe we have to look instead for someone else in the center and pushing Smith out to the right side in place of Rodman But then why have Dunn or Williams ? And who slots into the center since there's no Morgan or even Macario now in a false 9 role? By default perhaps it means Jaedyn Shaw? Shaw has played great for the US although she's seemed to have stagnated along with the rest of her team (San Diego) in league play

I don't want to exaggerate the problem First, I seem to be the only one concerned* about Rodman failing to control her emotions. Second, it's not like Rodman wouldn't be playing very significant minutes even when she doesn't start. She'd be the first off the bench.

* I'm concerned enough, though, I may have to start a Reverse-Jinx thread :)

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m expecting sooner or later for Rodman to take over the ringmaster generalship Horan(but probably after the Olympics). Being nearly half American born, don’t think Mexico will be the dirty team that Colombians were, but apparently diving & coaxing the ref into getting giving the opponent yellow/red is becoming new norm in international woso

18. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Macario out is huge. She was the only really excellent player in the front three. Williams is not even close.

Cannons repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't understand stopping that play at all.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Half

United States of America 0 United Mexican States 0

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Welcome to the world of tedious, play from the back, coaching. Thanks Emma

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Subs Emma. Start with Smith....She had chances and choked every time.... so far. Too small. There are others I also dont care for as well. Im not convinced Rose is a center mid. Rodman is invisible

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    1 sub for Mexico
    0 subs for the US

The second half has begun.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Mal wants that back.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There appears to be a magnet in the ball and a magnet to the right of the goal.