Getting ready for the 2024 Olympics

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Mar 20, 2024.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. It was a reference to your past foreign travels.:)

2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    winger been traditionally the strongest part of the USWNT and still remains that, but since it’s only 16 field player roster would probably allow only three available spots(2 starters/1sub), of which we currently got vying to make the Olympic

left-winger……Swanson, Shaw, Thompson
    right-winger….Smith. Rodman, Williams

to go along with just two strikers Morgan, Macario

problem is the way Emma Hayes currently coaches her club..,a low lying deep into her own territory 4-4-2(though it often reads on paper as an 5-3-1)that place the wingers at book ends, forcing them to even more yards upfront if they can manage an counter. It’s really the two upfront that have the best chance to score—-but unfortunately right now Morgan & Macario are too slow to take advantage of it.

Yesterday once again Macario starts at striker for Chelsea/ionce again Chelsea looses. This time against an unheralded Liverpool. Though big pre season favorites to win at least something. Hayes finds herself eliminated from all three Cup competitions & in 2nd place in league standings.

but let’s keep on reading what an great coach she is, lol

3. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Well, we almost all agree, cutting the roster down to 18 is/was always going to be a challenge. There are serious concerns on leaving obviously qualified individuals off the roster, not because they are not great at their one position, but solely because they are not versatile enough to play a few.

I believe we are all looking forward to tearing apart the final 18 picked individuals by the coach, as we all LOVE playing coach on this forum.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am sorry. I am so used to people choosing to attack me instead of ideas that I just jumped, awkwardly, to an erroneous conclusion. It is hard to understand what is really meant by statements on the internet.
    I also seem to have become a bit thin skinned and assume an insult when none is intended.
    Again, sorry for misinterpreting you innocent post. :(

blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  5. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Welp, Rose jumped in and scored a weird goal in 15 min of play time. 5 games to get in shape before the friendlies. Time and Emma will tell.

6. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hmm, just letting them heal up or do we begin to worry that the 3 center backs projected to be on the Olympic roster are all dealing with injuries and not playing at the moment?

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All three CB’s are out with muscular, thigh problems. If injuries persist, mostly likely Sonnet will be switched back from her current Defensive Mid. Other options/possible call ups; Staab(Chicago) Gordon(Angel City) Mckeown(Spirit)Kurtz(KC)Berkeley(Courage). Hopefully not Sauerbrun anymore, she was a disaster vs Mexico; three times had the ball stripped right from under her feet .

Morgan(ankle) & Naeher(?) are both reported injured as well.

NCChiFan repped this.
  8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olympic locks (9): Horan, Swanson, Girma, Coffey, Smith, Nighswonger, Rodman, Fox, Murphy.

Near locks (1): Davidson.

One or the other (1): Naeher/3rd GK. Depending on fitness.

That is both GKs and the entire XI minus the Macario/LaVelle/Shaw spot. Given the history between coach & player, I'd assume Macario is the favorite. But all 3 are coming off injury and are not real fast. I think 2 will certainly make it, while the 3rd is iffy.

It is difficult for me to think Sonnett's versatility does not get her on the 18.

GK: Naeher/Murphy
    RB/RCB: Fox
    CB/RCB: Girma
    LCB/CB/LB: Davidson
    LWB/LB: Nighswonger
    CM/DM: Coffey
    CM: Horan
    RWB/RM/WF: Rodman
    LWF/CF: Swanson
    CF/WF: Smith
    RWF/CAM: Macario/Lavelle/Shaw

Reserves (7):
    GK: Murphy (Campbell if Naeher out)
    CB/DM: Sonnett
    LWB/LB/RM/RWF: Dunn

We have 4 spots left.

My lean would be to take 3 attackers (Shaw, Lavelle, Morgan) and another CM (Yohannes or Albert) But that leaves us thin behind Fox.

For some reason, I think Hayes leaves one of Morgan/Lavelle/Shaw/Macario off and takes another CM (Albert, Yohannes) or defender (Krueger, Staab, Dahlkemper). There is a lot of redundancy with those 3. On a 23 person roster, OK. On an 18? That is tough, though I think all 3 are in our top 18.

Me: Macario starts. Reserve 6 field players: Sonnett, Dunn, Yohannes, Shaw, Lavelle, Morgan.

Alternates: Campbell, Krueger, Staab, Albert.

NCChiFan repped this.
  9. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hard not to move Davidson up to CB lock... Who else back there, plus she started her USWNT playing defending wing. In a pinch. Also, can't see just going with two true CB's... She has to bring a third... So Dalkamper if healthy or maybe Staab... I like Sonnett but, boy if you're starting her at CB (baring injuries)... I like her versatility in defending mid & cb, even defensive wing...

Shaw was about as impressive as Morgan last night. But Morgan can only play 1 spot, and her old lacking in speed frame is showing. Put speed on both sides of her... ok... I just prefer speed across the board. Swanson, Smith & Rodman will keep defenses up at night.

TrueCrew and Namdynamo repped this.
  10. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's who I would take. (of course I haven't seen them in practice or anything)

GK - Naeher and Murphy (Campbell if Naeher isn't available)

CB - Girma/Davidson/Sonnett
    RB - Fox/Sonnett/Dunn
    LB - Nighswonger/Fox/Dunn
    6 - Coffey/Albert/Sonnett/Horan
    8 - Horan/Albert/Yohannes
    10 - Macario/Shaw/Lavelle
    RW - Rodman/Lavelle/Dunn
    LW - Swanson/Shaw/Smith
    CF - Smith/Rodman/Macario

So starting (11)
    Naeher
    Fox/Girma/Davidson/Nighswonger
    Coffey/Horan/Macario
    Rodman/Smith/Swanson

Subs (7)
    Murphy (or Campbell)
    Sonnett
    Dunn
    Albert
    Yohannes
    Lavelle
    Shaw

If Dahlkamper became available, I'd probably drop Dunn. Davidson could be depth at LB also.

I think that 18 gives the most versatility.

edcrocker, alckz, TrueCrew and 1 other person repped this.
  11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Posted this before the last match. Hasn't changed.

--------------------Swanson ------- Smith
    Nighswonger-----------Shaw---------------Trinity
    -------------------Horan
    ------------------------------Coffey
    ------Tierna-------------Girma-----------Fox

Dunn - Swiss Army Knife
    Lavelle - 10
    Krueger - defender
    Sonnett - 6/defender
    Macario - versatile attacker
    Future - Yohannes

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our Olympic opponents' results from this last international window:

Germany
    31 May: 4-1 win vs Poland in Germany (EURO 2024 qualifying)
    4 June: 3-1 win vs Poland in Poland (EURO 2024 qualifying)

Australia
    31 May: 1-1 tie vs China in Australia
    3 June: 2-0 win vs China in Australia

Zambia: have not played since qualifying. However, the case currently facing the team of possible FIFA suspension has not yet been resolved as far as I've seen. Additionally, there has been a more recent allegation against Mwape (incident alleged to have taken place at last year's WWC but against a New Zealander employed for the tournament, not a Zambian player). Zambia does plan to play in some friendlies before the Olympic tournament starts though.

13. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Did we ever find out what would happen if Zambia were suspended? Would another team take their place? Does it count as a forfeit? Do we play a team of OAZ (Olympic Athletes from Zambia) a la Olympic Athletes from Russia?

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen anything definitive, but my guess is that the spot would go to the next team out of qualifying: Morocco.

blissett repped this.
  15. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Ugh... now Coffey has a foot in a boot, subbed out in 36th min in game v. NC.

TrueCrew repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wonder if the players think their club play or their national team play is the most important for them?
    I know the coaches of the clubs believe the club is most important and the national team coaches think their team is most important but what do the players actually think?
    From some statements I believe there are a few players that are openly pro club and others that are openly pro national team. But it seems most, if not all the rest, are not on record as to which is more important.
    I have seen clubs, needing results, both on the men's and women's sides playing injured players before they are truly ready and that implies that clubs prioritize their play over national team play and I cannot really blame them for that.

I personally believe that clubs are much more important than country because, after all, they are the ones that pay the bills. Of course most players at or near the international levels pay strong lip service to the national team but they seem unconvincing.

I understand if players do not wish to play for country if they are slightly injured but many, I think, get browbeaten into playing even if injured for club or country.
    You cannot believe what the clubs say.
    You cannot believe what the national organizations say.
    You cannot believe what the players say.
    They all have their own agendas and will lie, hide or exaggerate as needed to protect themselves and whatever organizations are involved.

Fear of losing playing time motivates the players and fear of losing money motivates the clubs and fear of losing prestige and money motivates the national teams. None of those are good motivators for proper recovery from injury.

It is just that there have been a LOT of various injuries to national team players when playing for both club and country and I wonder who really controls their return. The safety of the player should be the number one concern but i am unconvinced that is really the case for a lot of the injuries we have seen.

I know this is not an easy question to answer but it seems, at least for me, that it has never really been answered.

17. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Along the lines of that club vs NT argument above… I also been noticing an “obligatory absence” from club play on some NT players—- a few games before a major tourney. I chalk it up to aging bones for a few players (like Morgan and Rapinoe) and injury recovery (Lavelle). There might have been couple more but I’m too lazy to look back at data. And this is usually from the roster locked players.
    I remember it peeved me off a little coz if you’re neither fit or driven enough to keep your edge sharp on club play, even in limited minutes…your NT roster spot should open up for players who are.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Olympic roster:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Casey Murphy (North Carolina Courage), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

DEFENDERS (6): Tierna Davidson (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Emily Fox (Arsenal), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave FC), Casey Krueger (Washington Spirit), Jenna Nighswonger (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Emily Sonnett (NJ/NY Gotham FC)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Korbin Albert (Paris Saint-Germain), Sam Coffey (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyon), Rose Lavelle (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Catarina Macario (Chelsea)

FORWARDS (5): Crystal Dunn (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit), Jaedyn Shaw (San Diego Wave FC), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns FC), Mallory Swanson (Chicago Red Stars)

ALTERNATES (4): Jane Campbell (goalkeeper, Houston Dash), Hal Hershfelt (midfielder, Washington Spirit), Croix Bethune (midfielder, Washington Spirit), Lynn Williams (forward, NJ/NY Gotham FC)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2024/06/emma-hayes-names-uswnt-roster-for-the-2024-paris-olympics

19. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The midfield is thin. Oft-injured Lavelle and coming-back-from-injury Macario leaves only three midfielders -- Horan, Coffey, and Albert -- who are reliably fit. Albert is unproven in my opinion.

Suppose Lavelle and/or Macario gets injured in the first match of the Olympics. I assume they can be replaced by one of the alternates. Is that correct?

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's an injury serious enough to take them out of the tournament (has to be vetted by FIFA Medical staff), then yes. If it's a minor injury that staff think a player could recover from by the next game or two, then they'd likely not replace her on the roster and would lean on the versatility of other players. Part of the reason for bringing players like Dunn and Sonnett is that both can also fill in in the midfield.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In fact, looking from outside, I was a little surprised that Crystal Dunn is considered a FW, these days. :coffee:

22. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    They can. But midfield isn't the place I'm worried about. Besides the players you mentioned, Sonnett, Shaw, and even Swanson could also move into the midfield if needed.

To me, the biggest worry is winger, and right wing to be specific. Rodman is good, but it seems like the only backup there is Dunn. I like having Dunn on the roster for flexibility, but I am worried about her having to step in for Rodman if we're forced to lose her to yellow card accumulation, which seems kind of likely to happen.

But I guess if with an 18 player roster I only have real concerns about the right wing position, then we probably have a pretty solid team. First world problems.

BCFy and kolabear repped this.
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, she's really not, or at least hasn't played there much recently. She's a Swiss army knife who can play on any line except for goalkeeper, and I expect that is exactly why she's going.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sonnett is most certainly a CM/DM option. You left her out. Shaw can certainly play CAM as well.

With roster's at 18, you really only get 1 sub at FB, CB, DM/CM, CM/CAM, WF, and CF each.

FWIW, we have:

Krueger: FB/CB
    Sonnett: CB/CM
    Dunn: FB/WF
    Albert: CM
    Lavelle: CM/CAM/WF
    Shaw: CAM/WF

I don't think there is another CF on this roster. Everything else is covered.

Morgan has not been great, for sure. And I guess Williams can play CF amongst the alternates.

The Krueger/Morgan choice would be my only gripe, and a very minor one at that.

I'd have brought Yohannes, but she not be ready to make that decision.

Namdynamo, edcrocker and blissett repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not shocked to see Morgan off the roster (although apparently some on social media who probably only tune in for the tournaments are pretty shocked), but still sad for her.

sitruc, Namdynamo, edcrocker and 2 others repped this.