Getting pumped for the start of the season.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ferrigamo, Dec 28, 2010.

1. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    Well, really I am pumped about the start of the CCL. I am just hoping that I do not miss the home game due to work. I missed a bunch of games due to work last season and I am hoping that this season is much different. I am really interested to see how the team performs after RW has had his way. I am hopeful for a great season, but it is really a season for proving whether RW is the long term solution for us as head coach.

2. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    it'll be different. you can bet on it.

3. FC TDG

FC TDG Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be a ********ing disaster.

4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intercom: Now, brace for shock! Incoming missle starboard side..........ass to the blast!!

5. AJStank

AJStank Member

Columbus Crew
    Mar 22, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it'll certainly be interesting. We used to ask, "Will we be MLS Cup favorites?" or "Are we going to be Supporter's Shield front-runners?" and now, "Are we going to have a semi-full roster by Crewsmas?"or "Will we make the play-offs?"

Seriously though, has there been a season in recent memory with as many question marks as this one?

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a DADT joke in there somewhere. :D

7. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You said it. Instead of hearing MM and RW complain about how USOC and CCL screwed up the season, we'll get to hear them complain about how USOC and SuperLiga screwed up the season.

8. AJStank

AJStank Member

Columbus Crew
    Mar 22, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I read somewhere that SuperLiga might not happen anymore. Could be wrong on that.

9. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm opistic. No CCL so that should should help out while other teams have to deal with it. Last 3 mls champs didn't have to deal with CCL and we don't this year just saying. Think we should make playoffs and after that it's anyones game. Play up Canaries Canaries Play up.

10. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think that's been a rumor the last couple of years. There's a thread in MLS News & Analysis forum about that. If there's even the slightest possibility that the teams can make money, they'll do it. Tickets will be insanely high and the only people who will be there outside of the Nordecke will be supporters of FMF who get a rare opportunity to see one of their teams in person.

On the other hand, if there's no SuperLiga maybe we will be lucky enough to get a friendly against Sporting Fingal or Pakhtakor Tashkent.

11. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trillium Cup, bitches. There'll be nothing else and we'll like it.

12. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we let our opinions of the entire season be defined on beating one team? That seems like a very college football, red verses blue type mentality.

Walks away after realizing he has just failed to make fun of a rivalry he does not understand...

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morbo does not pity you, pathetic human.

14. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

haha... you said "in there"

15. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    The newest PR man from the Crew begs to differ:

[​IMG]

16. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't panic

17. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  18. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, from what I've read I like the changes in the offseason. It's not a popular opinion, I know, but I felt that the players we lost (with a few notable exceptions) were for the most part more hindrance than they were worth.

Granted, ask me again in 6 months and my opinion may be completely different, but I think it'll at least be an interesting season.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. The guys we dropped weren't going to get faster and younger. IMO, we had two options: Drop them and try to improve, or keep them around and watch them get slower and older. We lost GBS, Frankie, Duncan, and Gino. We could have kept GBS and Frankie as "super subs" maybe, but would they have wanted those roles? Duncan played REAL limited minutes last year. I see the reserve league as a place for younger players to gain minutes in what are essentially glorified practices. The reserve league really shouldn't be an old-timers retirement league.

But, absolutely, i'm not ready to write the season off, based on last year and this offseason.

20. BeMassiveSoccer

Jul 27, 2007
    Relegation Zone
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone have any idea yet on the price of Nordecke tickets for the RSL game? :)

21. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHHHHHH! Don't you know we are supposed to be negative? Find some way to rip the FO or the coaching staff or say nothing!

22. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea where/if there will be a Crewsmas eve party this year? Its something I really look forward to.

23. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence the reason I stay away for several months in the offseason.

But yeah, besides the older guys mentioned, the ones we lost in the draft were players who were always mentioned as being "weak links" in post-game threads. The only loss that I would question would be Griffitt, but granted that's because we really didn't get to see a whole lot of him. He seemed like another Herrera situation.

24. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he still may be coming back. I think he's a guy that would benefit from having some time to adjust to MLS and Warzycha's "coaching" style. He may commit himself a little more to defense like theRobbieRogers.com did last season.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take a random guess and assume the party would be on Friday, March 25th, at a bar TBA.

So, in other words, nothing is announced yet. We still have 7 weeks before the first home game, 8 weeks before the first away game, 10 weeks before the first league away game, and 11 weeks before Crewsmas week.