Get your Wife-Beater Chants Ready!!!

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by GoHawks4, Jul 29, 2002.

1. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I can see both sides of this argument. The line of crossing from bad taste into just plain mean and classless is gray, and differs from person to person. That said, Gazza won't be here tomorrow, so we have plenty of time to debate where the line is from him before he (potentially) comes to Chi-town or the corresponding suburban environs. Don't waist anti-Gazza chants on tomorrow's game.

That said, Milton Reyes, the mulletted, hacking dirtbag should be there tomorrow...I suggest venting your anti-United anger at that out-of-control piece of dung.

2. Jaquie

Jaquie New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Chicago
    While your intent may not be to heckle his wife - his wife and what happened between them should be completely off limits. It would be difficult enough to be the victim of abuse, by someone you love and trust - but to have it exposed to the world and then further exploited - that is cruel.

I imagine he knows what he did is beyond wrong - but that is his issue to deal with and a demon he has to live with.

Rip him apart for anything concerning his professional actions. Leave his family life alone.

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i did, and your reasoning is not sound

no one here would know who his wife is, how is it directed at her?

we know who gazza is, we know what he has done, wouldn't it be directed towards him?

why should we brush under the table what he has done, shouldn't it remain in the light? shouldn't people continue to be reminded that beating one's spouse is completely not acceptable? or is it that merely saying words is?

sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

now when luis hernandez came to town, we would call him luisa rather often... no one thought twice about that... i mean we were making fun of him by calling him a girl's name

weren't we also making fun of transexuals or homosexuals by making fun of luis' diving by giving him a female name?

but calling out a proven wife beater for what he did is wrong because it is insensitive to his wife, who probably knows not to attend her husband's matches... or at least is knowledgable of what other teams' fans will do or have done in the course of a match

as it is for me... i find it to be a bit of a dilemma

on one hand i think that gazza probably could deserve a second chance, maybe he has turned the corner and shouldn't be messed with like that because of it... there is being insensitive to his wife and family

however there is the other hand... what about the notion that by not bringing this to the light and just throwing it under the rug that it promotes the idea that boys can beat their wives when they get older because the adult professional athletes that stand out in their lives are doing it all the time and suffering very little in the way of consequences... don't we owe it to society to lay into him when he comes to town? (this is of course assuming that he were going to)

as i said, it's a dilemma

-jim

4. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I admit I was a bit heavy handed in my response, but come on...I said as much that we'd never really use a chant like that anyhow, because sing-songy player specific chants aren't the typical Section 8 style. I don't understand what Ms. Jacquie (who seems awful judgemental for never having met me) is getting so bent out of shape about. Just so I have it straight: the alcoholism, overeating and wearing plastic breasts is ok to make fun of, but the felonious assault is taboo? Errr...

No Gazza chants will be wasted since he won't be here. Shoot, the fact is he may never be here. This guy brings controversy everywhere! ;)

Damn right. Reyes and Etch will feel the full wrath of Section 8.

5. Jaquie

Jaquie New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Chicago

Spousal abuse is not a laughing or "chanting" matter that is what is making me so "bent out of shape."

The title of this thread is insulting. The little chant you took the effort to post is insulting. The attempts to say this has nothing to do with his wife (the victim of the battery) and the claims that to keep this matter out in the open is some how owed to society are insulting.

BTW, I am basing my judgments of you, Liam, based on all the posts by you I have read over the years. Additonally, judgement is typically reserved for God.

6. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you Gazaa's wife?

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Get your Wife-Beater Chants Ready!!!

You shouldn't try to cloak your argument in a "this song will do something positive for society by opening a serious discussion on the problems associated with spousal abuse" argument.

It's a f'in little ditty designed to harrass an opposing player. Gazza has provided the world with so much ammunition to use against him that it is almost laughable. Much of his public life is a cartoon. Surely, there is no need to make light of such an ugly incident that affects innocent people.

If you really want to shine the light of justice on men who beat up their wives and girlfriends, I would suggest that there are a host of organizations that will accept your volunteer efforts with open arms. They would probably be thrilled if you hand out literature outside the gate of Cardinal Stadium if and when Gazza comes to town next year. Something tells me that your stated "dilemma" probably won't lead to this type of action.

Good lord, we are talking about a song that will never be sung, but here is a little rule of thumb. If you have to ask whether it crosses a line of being horribly offensive, then you should probably stick to something like "who ate all the pies" and leave it at that.

Please note that I am one who generally stands for the proposition that the supporters should not be "controlled" by anyone in what they say, sing or put on a sign. Even though I thought the YSA was incredibly lame, I was against the idea of the club trying to snuff it out (I would prefer that it die a natural death).

But some issues clearly cross the line of decency (that for a soccers supporters section is admitedly quite low ;) ), for example the Celtic moron who acted like a plane when Reyna set up for a corner kick.

8. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Get your Wife-Beater Chants Ready!!!

Seriously, what in hell was he doing?

9. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Unfortunately, that will not be possible. He did not make the trip.

10. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    But Liam is God...just ask him!

11. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Not if you're an atheist.

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord._ for the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church"

Who makes this stuff up?

Men?

12. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Not if you're an atheist.

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church."

Who makes this stuff up?

Men?