Get your questions about South Africa Answered!!

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by dailyupload, Aug 9, 2009.

1. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Coco Pops have not been 24.99 for a long time around here, at one point 31.99 in the local Spar.

The McD price check was from Worcester, WC, last Friday on way in for Match 2 in CT.

The other index is the Weet Bix one. That was getting absurdly expensive until a couple of weeks ago. The new on sale price is 12.49 for the small one, 24.99 for the big box.

Beer can be anywhere from R 10 in a small town bar to more commonly
    R15-R20 in a typical big city setting. In 2001, beer or wine was R 4.50 in an upscale establishment.

2. saracp2010

saracp2010 New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Hi,
    may be this ques is answered somewhere else.
    Is taxi's safe to take at nights in JNB and other cities.
    Planning on taking buses from airport to all games, but all these buses return back late in the night to airport, from where I've to take taxis.

thanks

3. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    We haven't seen this reported in South African media yet, I am only relating what was reported on Argentine TV (it was a live feed in front of the embassy in Hatfield back to Argentina). No idea how accurate the report was, but we did find this report on Yahoo en Espanol:
    http://g.espanol.sports.yahoo.com/f...elam-lm-b22a28f3122b822935747cea7780bd5b.html
    According to this report in the Spanish language media, the Pretoria police caution people that there are many cars that look like police cars.

We unfortunately didn't make the Loftus - Soccer City trial run today, as we had some complications with our travel. We are going to regroup tomorrow morning and figure out how to do this and will report back anything we learn. (Sorry about this delay.)

4. dailyupload

dailyupload New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If you mean cabs .. then they are perfectly safe. Taxis in South Africa are minibuses and I would only recommend them if you are in a group with preferably a local.

5. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In Pretoria the 16th? See the thread for the meet.

6. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Hi, if I was to want to go somewhere hot out side SA for a few days break, where would you advise? Not wanting to travel too far and looking for a holiday atmosphere and a bit of life ;-) Dont mind a flight obviously.

7. dailyupload

dailyupload New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If you are here already, go to a mall and hit up a travel agent. Mauritius will be the most likely recommended destination.

8. BoughtMyPoints

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Only problem is that Mauritius is a couples/family destination, though with stunning looking local girls. If Mauritius, stay close to Port Louis which has "action" but unfortunately has less of the cooling trade breezes. And Mauritius is "hot". It has a majority Indian population that speaks French, with English as a second language.

Though not a big island, it takes an hour+ to get anywhere on Mauritius and taxis are not dirt cheap, more like $30 minimum each way to get anywhere.

In the old days, L.M. (Maputo) in Moz would have been the answer.

9. guanaco20

guanaco20 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    North Bergen
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm sure this has been answered before, but has anyone tried using the SIM card sent to them by FIFA once arriving in South Africa? I am not sure if I should take advantage of it or just buy one myself. What cell carrier is the most reliable in South Africa?

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hmmm... just packing for SA now and it seems I lost my anti-malaria tablets. :rolleyes: Can I buy them (without a prescription) in Cape Town? I'm going to the northern parts of Namibia which has maleria but I have to start taking them before I leave Cape Town for Namibia.

Thanks...

11. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Travel clinics in CT will be able to provide you with.

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm using it and it has been a life saver. Just put it in and then go your local supermarket with your Passport and an ID that shows you address back in your own country. They register the number there and you can pick up some airtime. I'd say put on R60 (you can only do R30 or R60, I believe)

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Okay, good to know. Thanks!

14. Nailsea Hammer

Nailsea Hammer New Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I'm wondering whether to bring a laptop and use Skype for phone/video calling home (England). Worried about international calls racking up, especially with kids to phone so everything gets said 3 times!

This would rely on free wifi from coffee shops or cafes (or last resort McDonalds!) within Cape Town.

Anyone else tried this? It *should* work OK but just like to see if any problems before bringing my laptop!

Thanks

15. BoughtMyPoints

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Buy a cheap netbook in UK and bring that. You could use the free daily 10 minutes at Mugg and Bean for specifically heavy bandwidth use. Otherwise figure a fiver for every 100mB of bandwidth purchased.

It's actually very cheap these days to call the UK from a South African landline but I doubt anyone would pass on the savings to you. Calling from a mobile here is just plain awful.

16. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Thanks for your help!

17. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Wondering whether anyone else has tried using Skype for voice calls to Europe (or anywhere) using free Wifi? (Sorry for labouring the point but I've estimated that phone calls home could be huge...and I dont really want to pack a laptop unless essential!)

18. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are bringing a laptop, magic jack is the best solution if you will be making alot of international calls

19. Joffray

Joffray Member

May 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Skype has worked out great for me to call home to the USA. Highly recommended.

20. Nailsea Hammer

Apr 20, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Thanks Joffray and MacPhisto. Netbook purchased and packed.

This might seem a bit flash as a last minute buy but I think at least half the cost of the Netbook will be saved back!

21. lpporto

lpporto Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm booking accomodation for my trip to Port Elizabeth. I have some questions regarding accomodation.

My best option stays in Greenacre area. It's close to the stadium(about 2km). Does anybody knows anything about this neighborhood?

Other quotations, not as good are at Humerwood(Humerail), Summerstrand(close to the University).

Anybody has any information about these places? Is it ok to stay in Greenacre?

22. Bigjet

Bigjet New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I have a little question about the game in Port Elizabeth on the 2nd july.
    The game is at 4pm and I expect it to finish at 6pm (no extra time pls)

I have a flight at 8:40 pm from PE to Joburg. I HAVE to catch that flight because I already booked an expensive trip which depart from joburg the next day at 6am.

Considering, the distance between the stadium and the airport in PE is 5/10 km, is it doable?

23. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Should be fine.

24. BoughtMyPoints

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    I agree, you should be fine.

After an earlier group match at the PE stadium, I noted that there was
    1 airport shuttle bus pre-positioned outside the Milner Avenue gate A/B which left within 15 minutes of the match ending.

After the England / Slovenia match, we were back in Grahamstown 130 km away at 19:30, even after stopping for a break!

25. almac123

almac123 New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Getting to and from OR Tambo Intl (Ellis Park game tomorrow night) - have the shuttle buses from OR Tambo to Westgate been dropped, or are the shuttle buses the 15-seater minbus taxi's? Nobody at info desks in airport confirmed/knew if shuttle buses were available when I was travelleing between OR Tambo Intl and Soccer City last week.

Had issues getting back to OR Tambo after late game at Soccer City (Ghana v Germany) - minibus taxi used from Westgate was not ideal. It appears that Sandton has been well catered for after late matches but OR Tambo has limited options - looking for info from anyone who has travelled from Ellis Park to OR Tambo, especially after an 8.30pm game. I want to get a taxi direct from Ellis Park to OR Tambo, but Fifa's exclusion zones have caused a few people problems.

Apart from transport niggles having a great time, Stadiums, fans, football and the SA people have been first class ;)