Get your questions about South Africa Answered!!

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by dailyupload, Aug 9, 2009.

1. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    According to this site, your new number should start with 083 - Read Pg 6
    http://www.mtn.co.za/Travel/Documents/38127+Intern+Visitors+booklet_54x84_H13.pdf

2. dailyupload

dailyupload New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    From what I can see it central northis which is fine .. it's not a grand area .. but not dodgy either {Street View}

Yes they are pretty easy to acquire ... avoid the airport and get them at any mall shop.
    Incoming calls are 100% free

The 083 series was finished long ago .. i think even 073 is finished .. so I am not sure what the current numbers are. The original case has the cell number on it not the sim card

3. carlo822

carlo822 Member

May 22, 2010
    I will be in Cape Town July 4- July 9. Are you a local or traveling to Cape Town?

4. scouse_er

scouse_er New Member

May 21, 2006
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'll be in Durban from 12th to 17th, staying at the Southern Sun, North Beach. Any locals know where i can catch some music without risking getting my head stoved in and my money pinched? - proper music by the way, played on musical instruments not techo sh*t?

5. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    I tried to post this in a new thread, but for some reason it hasn't appeared on the messageboard (if it does: my apologies for cross-posting):

A good friend of mine just moved back to the States from South Africa. I was going to buy his excess Rand from him. That said, I have been reading (on this messagebaord and in the news) about the issues with the new 200 Rand notes, especially that some stores are not accepting them (despite being legally obliged to do so), for fear of counterfeits.

Is it still possible to exchange the old 200 Rand notes at Banks, or is this no longer possible? If so, will all banks exchange them, or only certain banks?

Many thanks for any help.

6. cyberfou

cyberfou New Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    After reading about all the crime I found a site that have free maps of the areas that could be dangerous. According to the one map Soccer City is located close to such an area.

Could someone verify if this is the case?

http://www.travelinsa.com/Maps.php

Thanks

7. saracp2010

saracp2010 New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I will be staying Kempton Park near JNB airport.
    How is this area for safety and public transport?

8. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    As long as you not next to hawkers filled part of the town next to the station then you are fine. You can use Metro rail, Gautrain and metered taxis, I'm not sure on how buses go that side.

9. Scorpyn78

Scorpyn78 Member+

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    May 27, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nelspruit to Skukuza transport

I am taking Greyhound Bus to Nelspruit from JoBurg and once I get to Nelspruit, I need to get to Skukuza to my accommodation. Can you guys suggest the possible means of transportation? I don't want to rent a car because I don't think I will be using it much in KNP. Is there a point to point shuttle service or something that I can prebook? I will be getting to Nelspruit at 14:40 and I have booked an evening drive at Skukuza which I think leaves at 17:00. I believe the drive from Nelspruit to Skukza will take around 2 hours. It still seems a bit tight though so do you think I should cancel the evening drive?

10. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Re: Nelspruit to Skukuza transport

1. Greyhound is not a good choice in RSA. Intercape is the best company, by far.

2. Take the 0800 departure on Intercape, arrives in Nelspruit 12:25.

Normal arrival time at game lodges is approx. 2 p.m. with a snack offered.

3. Normal pm game drive leaves around 1600. Check your times with the lodge.

4. If the lodge does not have a shuttle to/from Nelspruit, rent a car.

Avis is the biggest rental agency by far in RSA with the greatest number of locations (and I speak as a life long Hertz man).

11. Scorpyn78

Scorpyn78 Member+

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    May 27, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Already booked ticket for Greyhound. Non-refundable.

Don't want to rent a car. Already mentioned that in my post.

Specifically looking for a ride (paid) to the rest camp from Nelspruit station.

12. BoughtMyPoints

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC

Well, blow off your R200 or less bus ticket. I seriously doubt you are going to make the pm game drive if you go Greyhound.

It's not whether you want to rent a car, it's whether you need to. With few exceptions, it's tough sledding outside urban centres in RSA without your own wheels.

So what did the game lodge say? You had the South African afternoon to contact them, it now coming up on quarter past 5 here.

13. WolfBenjamin

WolfBenjamin New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    All banks take R200 notes. Older R200 notes are risky, and easily forged. Rather accept R100 notes. These should be safe.

14. WolfBenjamin

WolfBenjamin New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Some areas are more dangerous than others.Even in safe areas and on their own farms, people are being attacked in their own homes.

No area is actually safe.

More people are murdered daily in "peacetime" South Africa than die in war-torn Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

15. WolfBenjamin

WolfBenjamin New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Some areas are more dangerous than others.Even in safe areas and on their own farms, people are being attacked in their own homes.

No area is actually safe.

More people are murdered daily in "peacetime" South Africa than die in war-torn Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

16. fantastic10

fantastic10 New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    thank you very much. We are still concerned about the short time between the games and how quick we can get out of the public viewing and to the stadium. An option may be watching only the 1st half at the Fan Fest and then somewhere at the stadium.
    Is there something to watch the game right at the Ellis Park?
    How safe is this area?
    Is the ticket centre at the JNB airport ready/existing ?

17. mdoggie

mdoggie New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I also wondered if there is a place to watch games at the stadium.
    Ellis Park isn't in the safest area, quite close to the CBD and a few less desirable areas.
    The Ticket Centre in JHB airport is up and running, I know someone who got their tickets from there.

18. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    what???

19. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    and posts like these should be banned. You obviously haven't experienced the world cup here yet and have no clue about how things work here...and I wonder if the current people visiting would rather be in either Iraq or Afghanistan than in South Africa :rolleyes:

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Have the prices of drinks in bars/pubs increased during the World Cup? What about restaurants in the host cities? More expensive now than before the WC?

21. BoughtMyPoints

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    I have not noticed higher prices in the chain restaurants in the big cities. In the small towns, the WC is largely a non event and they would not dare raise prices for this "special" event.

But it sure feels like the major petrol/gas station chain Engen have raised the
    prices in their convenience stores.

But South Africa is at the tail end of an inflation bout. The currency tends to drop here from time to time, then the prices go up in the stores to compensate, meanwhile the currency strengthens and South Africa is no longer the bargain destination.

So, FIFA assumed an exchange rate of 7 rand to the dollar. January 2009, the rate was 10 to the dollar and it rose back to 7 before falling back to the current 7.70.

I use the Coco Pops index. A 375g box used to go on sale for under R 20, down to as low as R 14.95. I rarely see any for less than R 30 these days.

Pepsi and/or Coca Cola goes on sale here at a R 8.95 or R 9.95 price point for a 2l bottle, but not during the run up to the WC. Low price now is 13.95.

Oh, I just remembered!

McDonalds launched a broadside at KFC (called Kentucky here) with their
    R 19.95 lunch special. This past week they increased that price by 10% to
    R 21.95. And also stopped giving away free Coca Cola glasses with the large "value" meals.

22. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    Agreed -- this is unnecessary fear mongering.

That said, we just came from the Argentine embassy right in the center of Hatfield (Pretoria) where Argentine newcasters were doing a live broadcast about three incidents in the last 24 hours. (The Argentines are based here -- so are the Algerians -- so there are huge groups of both nationalities here.) Here's what the Argentines said (this is from a live feed back to the second biggest news channel in Argentina -- another newscast was just starting as we left.) (Btw If anyone from Argentina is watching -- we were the guys in the blue hooded sweatshirts behind the journalists on this evening's live feed from South Africa.):

Two separate incidents of assault were mentioned. But the biggest deal was the following: An Argentine guy was separated from his group of friends late last night and approached SA police to for help. He asked to use their mobile phone, which they obliged. At one point they offered him a ride, then drove him 12km from Hatfield centre (where this took place) and then 'relieved' him of USD 6500 and told him not to tell anyone. This fellow is now too scared to go back to his hotel and has 'taken refuge' (these were the words used in Spanish) in the Argentine embassy.

The Argentine journalists stressed what a lovely time they are having here in South Africa (which our group is having as well). They also mentioned that the guy was an idiot for walked around with so much cash on him -- but that this (obviously) is no way justifies this behavior.

Not sure if this has been reported in SA yet, but it was just reported in Argentina.

So have fun, stay in groups, and keep your wits about you.

23. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Were they real police or security guys? Scary. Also scary that someone can carry so much dollars around - sounds a bit exaggerated. Anyway - have you done your train trip from Loftus to Soccer City yet?

24. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Dunno where you shop - Coke has been R12 to R13 for months now here in Gauteng. Coco pops as well ( I have kids so I know the prices off by heart!) have been R24 for months. I wanna shop where you do!

BTW Coke P & Pay special since last week - R10.99. The glasses at McD were a While Stocks Last thing so stocks probably did not last! Sad to hear the McD Lunch meal is up in price - bought mine for R19.95 last Wednesday still.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Cool thanks. What is roughly the price for a pint of domestic beer at an average pub? Then I'll multiply by 75 and budget accordingly. :D