Get your questions about South Africa Answered!!

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by dailyupload, Aug 9, 2009.

1. chocochoco

chocochoco New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    I don't know much about South Africa's food but one of my friends told me that it is not so bad. Hope so!

2. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Violence against non-SA Africans have occured at the lowest of low levels - in the squatter camps where housing and jobs are at their scarcest. Avoid the squatter camps anyway - even if you support SA.

Wear your nigerian shirt - have seen quite a few so far.

3. dailyupload

dailyupload New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  4. avfc_ny

avfc_ny New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    hey guys, been lurking in this thread for a while now, time to make myself known!

I'm an avid runner and would love to get a few runs in during our two week stay in Johannesburg. I'll be staying in Greenhill near the Parkview Golf course and I've been told by a South African friend of mine that it's perfectly safe to run in that area as long as I don't have any fancy stuff on.

I'll aim to run earlier in the mornings and just wondered if any of the locals had thoughts on this. I know Zoo lake is nearby and was/is the training ground for Hendrick Ramaala, marathon champion!

5. madtown

madtown Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I'm looking at accommodations in neighborhoods in Durban and have been looking at Berea and Morningside. I've found a reasonably priced place located near here:

Manning Road and Moore road, (Musgrave/Glenwood) durban south africa

Can anyone comment on the area? Is it safe? It seems to be, but I'd like to be sure before I book.

6. SoccerFan36

SoccerFan36 Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I too had a similar question. Looking at a place in the Musgrave area very close to Musgrave centre. Does anybody know if that area is safe?

7. shares

shares New Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Tour provides the shuttle from the airport to Springs + there is a pre tour meeting on arrival so exact times are unkown. Hopefully by 7 I will be free to go eat and watch the game !

8. ecoparkvn

ecoparkvn New Member

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
  9. dailyupload

dailyupload New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Moore Rd is Glenwood(Upper)! The area is not bad, but not great it either. Musgrave is far better .. if it means paying 10%-20% more take Musgrave!!

Musgrave is awesome .. away from the beach it's one of the best places in Durban take it!!

10. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Enter a race - http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?goto=af&afid=22&pt=events&typeid=3

11. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Yay! Hopefully they can shuttle you to Carnival City or somewhere festive to watch the game.

12. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006

There's plety of runners in Joburg especially around that area you staying at. Please contact these guys and they will certainly assist you, http://www.raceresults.co.za/ you can even go through the site to check the upcoming races.

13. SoccerFan36

SoccerFan36 Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I will be staying near the Cresta Shopping Centre and we are not hiring a car. What do you reckon is the best method of getting to Soccer City and Ellis Park?

14. sparty4

sparty4 New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Looking for decent accomodations in Sandton area beginning Friday, June 11. All current options are appreciated.

15. avfc_ny

avfc_ny New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Thanks for the link, that site looks very helpful. I think it would be great to run a race while I'm over there!

16. fantastic10

fantastic10 New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I have tickets to a 16:00 game @ Ellis Park. Is there anything near the stadium to watch the game just before it on screens/public so that we can get to Ellis Park right away and not miss any of the pre-game stuff ?

17. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  18. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  19. dailyupload

dailyupload New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just realised that google street view works 100% for JHB now. If you know how to work it you can basically view all the major cities and see where you will be staying etc.

try right click view here on the map to go to street view. or on the left hand menu "more" & street view.

Innes Free Park

Soccer City (Pre Completion)

20. SoccerFan36

SoccerFan36 Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  21. Lucas12

Lucas12 Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Shit happens everywhere, just blown up in different proportions depending on how sellable the story is. Just have basic common sence and follow the locals and you should be fine as it seems based on the comments from local people here. The only thing I'm worried about is my family worrying back home based on all these panic-producing stories.

Incident-free world cup? Does that exist?

On a different note: we all got the MTN sim card with the ticket confirmations, is the phone number for the sim card the number on the back of it? Mine says 0987161391, is that a mobile number in SA?

22. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Right length - have no 098 numbers as yet but maybe that is MTN's way of tracking if the numbers get used. So IS probably your new cell #

23. SoccerFan36

SoccerFan36 Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm looking at The Palace Hotel in Durban and its located near South Beach.

211 Marine Parade
    Durban 4056, South Africa

That's the address. Does anybody know if that area is dodgy?

24. avfc_ny

avfc_ny New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    On my way to South Africa tomorrow! One last inquiry. What's the deal with pre-paid cell phones for local use? Are these easy to acquire/use? Are incoming calls free?

Obviously good to have for emergencies, but also if incoming calls are free it makes it easier to contact loved ones back in the US.

Thanks everybody, I'm beyond pumped for this trip.