Get rid of the Death Penalty.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dammit!, Jan 3, 2006.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Sounds like you're down & don't want to get up. Also, that you spend too much time navel-gazing & babbling on in these forums.
    P.S. Exercise your constitutional right of travel & join the 20% of this country which moves each year. I suggest a state that either lacks or doesn't enforce the death penalty. Maybe you'll feel better or at least become more fully human.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm okay/You're okay.

Yet I know Saenz v Roe, and you, given that which is below don't. SO who's been navel-gazing and who is babbling about what they clearly do not know, and who has been actually trying to know more, regardless of whether it makes for happy or not?

See the above, learn your Constitution (and, just maybe, be able to compare and contrast it with the Articles of Confedertion, which DID offer an explicit right to travel, whichthe Constitution does not...Saenz, by the way, affirmed this AND a presumed right to travel as established NOT by the Constitution, but by US law and precedent)...and, btw: running from one's problems, just to be happy, isn't very 'merican, is it? Hmmm...maybe, nowadays, for most, that's EXACTLY how "being AMerican" is both conceived and experienced: the pursuit of happiness, regardless of that which faces community and nation...GET YOURS, BABY!

:rolleyes:

Keep posting; to the extent that you're representative at all in any statistically significant sense, you explain...alot.

3. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Sorry Mike, but this is neither, save the quip "flame away". The left has been making the converse to this argument for years, myself included.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/03/execution.dna.ap/index.html

Of course this type of testing wasn't available at the time of the case so in many ways this is in fact 20/20 hindsight. Still this should be a motivation to use DNA as a mandatory means for any DP case.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I guess you missed my desire for accountability in the last election. I like accountability in politics, but it isn't common. Your hero Clinton proved that when he escaped removal from office for flagrant perjury.

6. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Danny, I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.

Didn't want to do it. Felt I owed it to them.

[​IMG]

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have nothing and like it.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it looks good on you though.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm against the death penalty. As a Catholic, I've always worked from the assumption that someone else is responsible for decisions about life and death, and that our system of judgment should not usurp that function.

With no due respect to Smiley, I resent the implication that being against the death penalty means you are soft on crime or the criminal. It's classic "anti-liberal" swill that has no foundation in fact. I am up for the harshest possible punishment allowed by the constitution for heinous crimes as long as they stop short of execution.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the argument, it is the threadjacking.

PS...it's a stupid argument, coming from the left OR the right.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Your ignorance amuses me.
    2. Bush admitted he broke the FISA law. Do you want him impeached, yes or no? Straight answer, please.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I guess I've had enough of this thread then.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    But luckily I stayed just long enough to see more thread jacking.

:D

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I was saying in my "awakening" thread. 90% of what the right says about the left has no foundation in fact.

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what? :D

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't think it is a stupid argument, so much as it is a disingenuous one from most of us.

I actually have great respect for those who are "pro-life" across the board, meaning anti-death penalty, anti-abortion, anti-war, pro social programs that support and enhance life beyond the womb for those who need help.

There are very few people who can honestly say they fall in this category, and people can have genuine differences of opinion on some of those sub-categories, but I don't think it is a "stupid" position.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is, because it equates a person who is on death row because he has been convicted of a heinous crime with a bundle of cells that can't survive outside the womb.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facts. :D

19. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    It's a statistical fact that 87% of liberals have silly opinions 92% of the time.

It was a study by the Carnegie-Atex foundation.

20. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    After they dump Cheney and make Newt Gingrich Vice-President, yes, remove the bum.

However, I don't expect the same from you, you would tolerate anything if Clinton did it. Or any Democrat.

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Thurgood Marshall wrote: "[F]reedom to travel throughout the United States has long been recognized as a basic right under the Constitution." and "it is clear that the freedom to travel includes the "freedom to enter and abide in any State in the Union" and "a long line of cases recogniz(e) the constitutional right to travel, and repeatedly reaffirmed in the face of attempts to disregard it". http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=405&invol=330

Enjoy the ride! Try to find an editor!
    P.S. Are you claiming to be significant in any sense?

22. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Never said something different, but the legislative process abolishing the death penalty would need convincing of voters, which he is trying to do by communicating with them. If he's successfull, someone who wants to ban the death penalty comes into power and it gets banned.

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could just go with the New Jersey compromise, where we have the death penalty but don't actually kill anyone.

24. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Significant enough to be willing to pay you $1,000 via PayPal if you can find anything in the Constitution that declares a right to travel. I gave you the case that deals with this, and made it clear to you that thee's no doubt that there is a right to travel, but that it does not spring form the language of the Constitution, which you claimed. In fact, it is a presumed right that springs from US law and precedent.

But go ahead, if this is what it seems to be about - getting the last word. Like I said, the more you post, the more I understand about why we are the way we are.

I'll just kick back and watch your...performance, over the next few days, and observe how that correlates with the abject - and fervently committed - ignorance found in the larger, national discourse. So far, it's been nearly 1:1...

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I wouldn't.