Get Ready! This fall, it's the BIZARRO MLS!

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by detroitexpress, Aug 26, 2002.

1. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    That's right, folks - the BIZARRO MLS (or BMLS) fantasy league begins its inaugural season this September.

Here's how it works: All 28 NFL teams have been allocated one BMLS franchise. If the NFL team wins, the BMLS team loses, and vice versa. So for example, if the Detroit Lions lose, the Detroit Express wins and collects 3 points.

The format will be two divisions of 16 teams each. TOP FOUR teams in EACH DIVISION make the playoffs. BOTTOM TWO teams in each division are RELEGATED and won't be in next year's BMLS!

Here are the teams! Where the corresponding NFL team is not obvious, that team is indicated in parentheses:

East:

Atlanta Silverbacks
    Baltimore Wingers
    Buffalo Icemen
    Charleston Battery (carolina panthers)
    Cincinnati Riverhawks
    Cleveland Rollers
    Detroit Express
    Jacksonville Tea Men
    Miami Strikers
    Milwaukee Chiefs (Packers)
    Montreal Manic (KC chiefs)
    Philadelphia Atoms
    Pittsburgh Hardhats
    Rochester Rhinos (Dallas cowboys)
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Toronto Metros (NY Giants)

WESTERN DIVISION

Arizona Aztecs
    Calgary Boomers (NY Jets)
    Edmonton Drillers (Denver Broncos)
    Houston Hurricane
    Indiana Racers
    Memphis Rogues (Titans)
    Minnesota Kicks
    New Orleans Cajuns
    Oakland Stompers
    Portland Timbers (Redskins)
    San Diego Sockers
    San Francisco Golden Gaters
    Seattle Sounders
    St. Louis Steamers
    Tulsa Roughnecks (Chicago bears)
    Vancouver Whitecaps (patriots)

You'll notice MLS cities are not in BMLS. There will be a 12-game season followed by 4 weeks of playoffs culminating in the BMLS Cup!

Any predictions as to who will win each division, and who will be relegated?

2. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Charleston Battery will dominate the BMLS.

The St. Louis Steamers will be one of the teams relegated.

By the way, who gets promoted next year to replace the relegated teams?

3. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    what u been smokin man????????

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    dude, this sucks... st. louis is going to tank in the first season

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i should probably add that this idea is brilliant

personally, i think that the names should be changed from names that people associate with real or former teams

give it the feel of a real league, thus more bizarro

any thoughts on that?

we could have people of each area decide it

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i think wins and losses should be determined by whichever team scores the most touchdowns

if chicago beats the chargers 15-14, but chicago got 5 field goals and the chargers got 2 touchdowns... chicago loses, so the tulsa roughnecks get 3 points

this would also allow for ties

7. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree. We need ties, and there should be a bit less of a direct correlation between the NFL scores and the BMLS results.

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

nah, it would be fun to take note of how many touchdowns actually happen

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Get Ready! This fall, it's the BIZARRO MLS!

Hey, that is a great idea.

Basically, all games would have real scores, not just a winning and losing team.

A touchdown equals a goal. Anything else doesn't matter.

It would be interesting to see what kind of scores turn up, and see how they compare to the scores of a real soccer league.

In this scenario, you can root for your NFL representative instead of for their opponent, which doesn't sound like fun to me. Root for them to score an actual goal (a touchdown).

Are you sure the bye weeks in the NFL schedule won't mess up the 12-game schedule of Bizarro MLS?

- Paul

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Re: Re: Get Ready! This fall, it's the BIZARRO MLS!

i think you are on to something, but let's do it like this

16 game schedule, top whatever teams make it to the playoffs just like in the nfl... since we will probably have different home nfl teams make the playoffs, we will need to rank our playoff teams just like the nfl does

home field goes to higher ranked team and all that... i'd be down with helping run this

any support for this?

11. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are going to pull out the NASL names, I'll pull out some MISL names. :)

Baltimore Blast
    I think Rochester Rhinos should be represented by Buffalo, although i guess if you had both Buffalo and Rochester in your fantasy league, it could be interesting
    Cleveland Force
    just call them Ft. Lauderdale, like they should be :)
    Milwaukee Bavarians
    Pittsburgh Spirit, or Riverhounds if you are going to use the sorry Riverhawks for Cincinnati
    the Cowboys should represent the Tulsa Roughnecks
    this name makes no sense for Arizona, and can only be used for LA in my opinion. if you want to use some native american name, then go for Navajos. i think Phoenix Firebirds of the old PCL would be a good name.
    San Francisco Bay Blackhawks! duh!
    since Tulsa should be represented by the Cowboys, have Rochester represented by the Bears. Or if you are going to use the Bills for Rochester, then have some new city represented by the Bears.
    are you sure the NFL bye weeks aren't going to mess up this idea?

This should be fun, nonetheless.

- Paul

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Get Ready! This fall, it's the BIZARRO MLS!

Sounds simple. But if you use the Touchdowns-For-Goals method of scoring, and base the wins-losses-ties of the fantasy soccer teams off of those results, the standings of the fantasy soccer league might not directly reflect the NFL standings. And you might end up with some fantasy soccer teams with playoff worthy records not making it because their NFL reps didn't make it, and vice versa.

But this shouldn't be too much of a problem. If it happens, then you just pair up any of the fantasy soccer teams without an NFL playoff representative with one of the NFL teams that actually did make the playoffs.

Hmmm, this could get ugly in the playoffs, kos there could be some games decided by field goals where the losing team scored more touchdowns.

You also have to take into account that the playoff rounds in the fantasy soccer league are knockout games, so the number of touchdowns (goals) scored between the teams could be equal and thus a tie. You could pretend (the operative word for this whole thing, heh) if there is a winner in the actual NFL game, including field goals, safeties, and extra points, then this corresponds to a golden goal scored in overtime for the corresponding fantasy soccer team.

Just some ideas.

- Paul

13. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    in the playoffs, stick with higher ranked teams... as i said

if a soccer team wins, yet it's football team loses... it doesn't matter... things would be reset for the next round

1 loses to 4

1 scores more touchdowns and therefore wins

1 takes over the highest ranked team left in the playoffs and it works from there... understood?

highest ranked football team can be established by regular season record and point differential as a tie breaker

14. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not use the 4 weeks of pre-season, as well, so that you have a 20-game season? Since you can easily fix any discrepencies with the NFL playoffs by just switching your NFL rep, it doesn't really matter if the standings don't totally match up.

Just a thought. The more games the merrier in my book. It will make the fantasy soccer tables look a lot better. :)

- Paul

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i'm not sure if everyone plays the same number of games... a 16 game season seems just fine with me

by the end of it, it will be almost preseason time

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are what results from Week 1 of the pre-season would look like:

Calgary (NYJ) 1, Pittsburgh 0
    Cincinnati 3, Buffalo 2
    Baltimore 1, Detroit 0
    Atlanta 2, Jacksonville 1
    Tulsa (DAL) 2, Oakland 0
    Cleveland 3, Minnesota 2
    Houston 1, New Orleans 1
    Memphis (TEN) 4, St. Louis 3
    Montreal (KC) 2, San Francisco 2
    Indianapolis 4, Seattle 1
    Philadelphia 2, Milwaukee (GB) 1
    Edmonton (DEN) 3, Rochester (CHI) 0
    Toronto (NYG) 3, Vancouver (NE) 1
    Portland (WAS) 5, Charleston (CAR) 3
    Arizona 3, San Diego 2
    Tampa Bay 2, Miami 1

heh :)

- Paul

17. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    notice the fairly similar scores?

two 1-0's
    a 1-1

18. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let the NFL head honchos see you legitimately comparing football scores to soccer scores. I don't want to have to deal with yet another set of rules changes, this set intended to "increase the number of touchdowns scored (i.e. put further constraints on defensive players)".

- Paul

19. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    only 2 games had more than 5 combined touchdowns

4 games had 5 touchdowns combined

20. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA

Man, I was agreeing with you. As in "I think it's a good idea to count touchdowns but not field goals, thereby creating a less direct correlation."

21. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about instead of Calgary, you let the NY Jets represent Hartford?

And instead of Edmonton, you let the Broncos represent Utah?

And, you know, it kinda sucks for those people in North Carolina to have to suffer with an MLS team and without a BMLS team, too. :) So how about you have the Carolina Panthers represent Raleigh-Durham? And if you really want Charleston Battery to be in the league, have them take another one of the teams currently representing a Canadian team.

- Paul

22. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
    I say you name the team after something the city is famous for, as they did in the movie Baseketball. Teams suchs as the Miami Dealers, Milwaukee Beers, San Francisco Fairys, so on and so forth. Just my two cents.

23. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of my college math classes:

I have no idea what the hell is going on.

24. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    The original BMLS is brought to you by detroitexpress media. This has been a public service announcement. Watch these boards for BMLS messages from detroitexpress all this fall.

25. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    how truly nice to see that you care not for what other interested individuals would like to see

you sure you created this for anyone more than yourself?