Get Fans to Games Earlier

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by leafdolfan, Jan 5, 2008.

1. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know a lot of people are angry at fans coming to TFC games 10-15 min after kick-off. Which I agree is outrageous. Anyways I had an idea to get fans there earlier. A "pre-game show". I know the Barenaked Ladies sung Oh Canada and a shit TFC song before the LAG game. If we had a Canadian band or artist come out a do a real song (not just signing, but with a full 'stage') or two about 10 min before the game. This would be like a half time show in football but before the game. If they got some Canadian bands like: Sam Roberts, The Hip, Nelly Furtado and more to play at BMo before the home games people would come out to see them and show up earlier. Anyways just a thought.

2. ChrisLav

ChrisLav New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    It's definitely a good idea at least in theory.

In practicality, artists like that would be a reason for people to come to games more than to show up early despite an early performance. Maybe could work for teams without sold out buildings like the Jays (post-game in their case) & the Argos (but football has half-time event stuff)

With the season ticket base being as high as it is now, TFC doesn't have to worry much about bringing people in for "event marketing." Plus there is the $ scenario to consider that for the team to outlay $ for artists when the only potential revenue recovery would be in-stadium food & drink sales, it's probably not the best trade off.

Most games I was in the stadium an hour early, as I'm in Niagara & never really wanted to risk being late due to poor traffic. Don't know how I'd encourage people to get to their seats earlier though.

3. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    I suggested to Paul Beirne (sp) that an anouncement be made over the P.A. that the game would start in five minutes in order to fill a few more seats. He said he would consider the idea.

4. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    I like to be in my seat about 45 minutes to game time so I can watch both teams wrm up etc, but that is my choice. I suspect that from a MLSE point of view when folks are not in their seats then they are late or buying something. I doubt that MLSE will go out of their way to encourage people who are spending money to rush back to their seats. However, it is a real problem when we start the 2nd half to see so many empty seats.

I really hate it when folks leave early. :mad:

5. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To stop fans leaving early all we need is more Danny Dichio injury time goals :)

6. contacthi

contacthi New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Toronto
    You must be a carpenter or something because you just hit the nail right on the head. I don't see any kind of announcement comming that will say "would all TFC fans and away supporters standing in long lines to pay for overpriced beer and other concessions please make your way to the seats you already paid for so we look a little better on t.v."

Never happen. It's the same thing at Leaf games at the start of periods.

It's not like they can even make people wait for a stoppage in play before letting them make their way to their seats because even the most dim-witted of the ball boys can get the ball back into play in about seven seconds.

7. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    If TFC wants fans to get to the games earlier they probably can start by not having the mid-week games (with the exception of the ESPN games) at 7:00. The band thing doesn't make sense for TFC because as someone mentioned earlier there is probably not going to be a return on investment.

8. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife thinks I am nuts, (and that was before TFC came to town) but I must watch the video of Dichio scoring our 1st goal and our last goal every day, perhaps several times at one sitting. In fact as I soon as I make this post I will go to our TFC site and watch it again.

Out of curiosity - to those who really know how to use a computor - is there any way I can download these video's on my laptop so I do not always have to be connected to the net to watch. I travel a lot so it would be nice while making long flights to be able to watch these. Man, we have a great team!!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to do this. :D ( now off to see Sammy and Danny score once more )

9. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You should go on to youtube and ask a user name "azorean10" if you want those videos. He/She has those goals up on youtube. Maybe he/she wouldn't mind uploading them on link for you to download.

10. Joe_SoccerFan

Joe_SoccerFan New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    How about starting midweek games at 7:30 and no early afternoon games on the weekend? 7PM starts on Saturdays and 4PM Sundays would help.

Of course, when you are at pub before the games it is hard to drag yourself out to sit in the stadium early!

11. rocker

rocker New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    they need to fill in the north end with seats at some point if they want the seats full for TV... a lot of people just stand there and watch the start of the game.... i like the patio, but the most annoying thing I ever saw was guys standing at those tables and watching the game on the scoreboard.

12. TFCguy

TFCguy New Member

May 18, 2007
    not sure how many of the latecomers come using public transit (esp. TTC) but I've found this season that taking the TTC has been very challenging. I come in from the north end of the city (I'm 15 min. away from Finch station) and have found that I need to leave at least 2 hours ahead of game time to be sure I'm at my seats with enough time to spare. I know they did a lot of track construction at Fleet St this summer, which kept the streetcars from getting on to the grounds...not sure if that was part of it or if the TTC needs to improve on their services to handle the large capacity of people heading to the games.

13. TFCMANU

TFCMANU Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Parkdale/Newmarket
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Easy solution: 7:45pm start on weekdays and 6pm on weekends and there you go. :p

14. Patticus226

Patticus226 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Easier solution offer free merchandise to the first x amount of people into the building. This begins with approx x minutes before kickoff and with every free scarf/beermug/shotglass/flag/hat/tattoo you can recieve a voucher for the overpriced concessions stands.

15. TFCMANU

TFCMANU Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Parkdale/Newmarket
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    aka seat cushions "TFC TOSSERS" sorry will never work good Idea but not at BMO to dangerous!:eek:

16. contacthi

contacthi New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Toronto
    Best idea yet.

17. TFCguy

TFCguy New Member

May 18, 2007
    yup...even those large sheets of cardboard that were at the seats on the final game of the season were made into large paper airplanes and thrown around.

18. Roc Le Roc

Roc Le Roc New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    I'm ALWAYS chugging beer untill there are 15 minutes till game time. You've got to get as many in you as you can before buying the overpriced tallboys inside. I've yet to miss a kick-off...I've sang O Canada on the steps a few times....but I'm always at my seat at kick-off.

I arrive ready to go. It's fun in the stadium, but it's fun outside the stadium also (you can smoke weed outside...or cigarettes if that's your thing). There's a lot of life and energy all around BMO for a couple of hours before the game. I enjoy being part of the pre game drinking crowd (even if I don't do it at the "official tailgate"). I like to make the player introductions if I can....it doesn't always happen.

The game is all that matters. Just be at your seat at kick-off, ready to go. That's all you really need.

19. Carlyle

Carlyle New Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Toronto
    All I know is public transportation sucks to BMO, I've taken the TTC, that was cruel and unusual punishment, the GO or should I say "NO GO" had me sitting 2 minutes outside of Exhibition station for over 15 minutes making me miss kickoff once. I was tempted to rip the doors open and run down the tracks scarf waving in the air. After that experience I shall not complain about it, I'll be very happy to drive down to BMO. :cool:

How about getting together with GO and TTC and getting them to put a special train on the lakeshore line, a few more street cars or designated express buses to say Union station. Is this too much of an idea for the City?

I'll be happy if we can get a local radio station to carry the game. Even a little station inside the stadium to give us color commentary. :rolleyes:

20. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'm moving back to the city in a week so it should be easier for me next year, but...

I was late for two of the midweek games because I didn't leave St. Catharines soon enough--the thing is I left at 4 p.m. for a 7 p.m. start the one day (the Villa game). Insane gridlock on the QEW made for a 3 hour drive. I ended up parking illegally in the park across from the princess gates--on the grass--and hoping like hell that I wasn't towed (I wasn't). The other game I couldn't get off work until 4:30 and didn't get to my seat until 7:20pm.

On a weekend, I can be at the stadium in 60 min from St. Catharines.

I'm hoping it will be easier to make my way down from midtown next year....

21. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    Had to wait almost an hour for a train after the game a couple of times so several times I left a few minutes before full time so I could catch the train. How about giving three one thousand dollars gifts to seat holders
    as the game is starting. If you aren't in your seat you don't get the prize.
    Nah! MLSE isn't fond of giving money away.

22. torontofc.section114

Dec 2, 2007
    Ontario
    fans leave early to catch transportation out of Toronto, start the games at 7pm and that should not be a problem.

23. TFCguy

TFCguy New Member

May 18, 2007
    looks like the construction work the TTC is doing may help a bit. the track repairs they're doing on Fleet St. will also create a dedicated streetcar line for the 509 streetcar, due to be complete by April. If I remember correctly, that was the only part of the trip between Union and the CNE that had to share the road with traffic.

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/fleet_track_2007.pdf

24. torontofc.section114

Dec 2, 2007
    Ontario

were they not to be done by December?

25. TFCguy

TFCguy New Member

May 18, 2007
    wouldn't surprise me if they were supposed to be...takes them half a year fix a lightbulb