gerry marrone

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by scalvixen, Sep 11, 2010.

1. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless gerry has a better plan for next season, he should step down.

2. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    i wouldn't blame the last fewgames on him..sb players had at least 3 games and needed one win and couldn't pull it off.....now has he done everythng right..of course not... it will be an interesting off-season

3. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    scalvixen - sorry for the delay - just saw this post. What specifically could we have done better? I'm all for constructive criticism, but what would your plan be? Going into the season did we have one of the best rosters in the league? Love to hear your input.

4. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  5. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Mookie - nice, thanks!!!

6. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerry,
    I thought it was a great article as well. Your transparency and accessibility from 5AM to 10PM over the last two seasons has been great, and IS appreciated. Your presence on Twitter and WPSChat as well. While I was not actually a die hard fan of SBFC this year (nothing personal, just geography and stuff), I really appreciate what you and your staff are doing there. Best of luck pulling a great team together for 2011. Nice work on the trades.
    All the best!

7. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If what I'm hearing is true. Thank you for your service, don't be a stranger, and good luck! *pulls you close to whisper "If you leave us in bad hands, I'm coming for you."* *leans away*

8. NJgerman

NJgerman New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scalvixen, looks like you're getting your wish!!! He's stepping down to take another job!

http://equalizersoccer.com/WebPages/blog.aspx?postid=a2a43a7f-512f-4242-8b07-9515e2b283e0

And unless someone hacked into Marrone's twitter account, the above report is accurate.

One other article with a spin:

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/12/14/...e-from-sky-blue-fc-is-a-walk-off-home-run-and

Hopefully Gerry will still have the time and interest to keep going on twitter and facebook once in a while. As Peg said, it's been great that he's provided his perspective.

One note though: Not to rain on Marrone's going away party (the man works his tail off for the club and deserves props), but the second article probably gives Gerry a little too much credit for the Heath trade. From what I understand, Jim Gabarra was more behind the deal than Marrone. If this is wrong, please correct me.

http://www.soccerista.com/index.php...ll-make-all-player-decisions-for-sky-blue-fc/

9. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ^ My SBFC homie ALWAYS has the scoop. Thanks for finally coming around here! lol

10. NJgerman

NJgerman New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha! I really do need to post here more instead of just on fb and twitter. I guess that'll be my new year's resolution!

11. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Mookie - thanks as always for the support, I actually got a bit misty with your sendoff!

NJgerman - are you Thomas Hofstetter??? Thank you too - I said in several places that the credit for the trade should go to Jim and our ownership. I did work on the deal in the background. But Jim was relentless in getting it done - but you can ask him if I helped- he'll tell you. Our owners really stepped up to approve it. We had to push the line a bit from a salary cap standpoint, and Jim will need to be even more creative now, but how do you say no to that deal?? In all honesty I kind of felt guilty doing it!!!

12. NJgerman

NJgerman New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ SBFCGM: Yup, I remember you giving proper credit to the owners and to Jim in the press release on the trade. I was just being nitpicky about the article. Definitely wasn't accusing you of taking away credit because it was clear you never did that. I just think the article (and people in general) haven't been giving enough credit to the other parties involved in executing the deal. Thanks for providing some clarification.

Congrats on your new job! Your relentless work spent with Sky Blue really shows you earned whatever amazing opportunity you were given. Don't know how long this has been in the works, but thanks for seeing your GM job through to the end and making sure the club is set up as well as possible before you leave. You did your job with the same passion that you have for the beautiful game.

It'll be interesting to see the setup at SBFC from here.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck in your new position, Gerry. I do appreciate your willingness to engage fans on twitter & here. You've provided information to a group hungry for any news. And worked hard to build the SBFC brand.

I look forward to your "unhampered by being WPS staff" posts. Cause you held back so often and we never knew what you thought ;)

And you, Jim, and the ownership may have had to push the salary cap for that trade but I still think you committed highway robbery ;)

14. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I'd like to echo the thoughts above. I have truly appreciated the responsiveness and transparency, and have a great amount of respect for the job you have done at SBFC. Good luck with this next opportunity - we will miss you!

15. HoosierRay

HoosierRay New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I would also like to thank Gerry for all his work and continued dedication. For those of you who do not get a view of the teams outside of SBFC, he is the best GM in the game. Never backed away from a question and was always willing to be the voice. The league lost the best one today and I for one am very appreciative of the work and continued support Gerry has given SBFC and the WPS!! Thank you and best of luck!

16. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Well Hey Sky Blue is on there 6 th head coach in two years and now the 2nd GM.

Good Luck Gary! No Matter what you have the first WPS Championship!

17. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you're gonna throw shade make sure it's enough to at least cover an obese woman's brow on a hot summer in July.