Germany's biggest rivalry?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by poorvi, Apr 4, 2006.

1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you won't find one! :rolleyes: :D

2. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London

Italia 90 shirt is far from dull...... Adidas are German yea? they should make Germany's shirt unique

3. West 'am 'till I die

Mar 28, 2006
    London

Exactly.... Puma make unique shirts for all of their country's (see African Nations) but Germany's new shirt is similar/identical to France

4. david29

david29 Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yeah it's an increasingly sad situation where clubs and national teams are being forced to try and fit their own colours, stripes and markings into the single jersey design by a manufacturer. Nike, Adidas, Puma, they've all been guilty of it in recent times. We've now reached a point where Nike jerseys, be they club jerseys from Europe or nationsal teams from South America, have exactly the same markings and you can't even buy them in long sleeves! What a joke.

5. stefan10

stefan10 New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Cologne
    But your problem in football is that you do not have the yanks or russians doing the job for you. perhabs you should try to build a coalition to archive a victory at the WC or the european championships.
    ;)

6. West 'am 'till I die

Mar 28, 2006
    London

Touche

7. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.

Absölüte right.

8. Troublekraut

Troublekraut New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Have a look at this shirt:

www.deutschland-england.de

9. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I can only speak about Poland, but I do feel that there are many Poles who feel that there is a rivalrly between Poland and Germany, but at the same time thay recognize that it is primarily one-sided (meaning that only the Polish care about it).

Without going into history and the war (in fact it was the games between East Germany and Poland that have been traditionally bloody and very physical - because Poles thought of East Germans are Russian stooges, and the East Germans of the Poles as anti-Communist reactionaries), the only game that resonates is the 1974 WC "semi-final" (I know it wasn't a bona-fide semifinal, for for all intends and purposes it was) where many Poles feel that they had the better team, but due to the Austrian (hint, hint) referee's decision to play the game on the waterlogged pitch the Polish team wasn't able to play their preferred long ground/long ground game, and so lost.

Now tough there are additional factors that make make the Polish fans salivate over playing Germany: the Polish born Germans on the German team, and the fact that Poland never beat Germany - the closest they came was the 1978 0:0 draw in the opening game of the 1978 Cup. So I think that in the eyes of many Polish fans there is a rivalry with Germany, but most German fans really don't give a damn about the Polish NT.

10. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here in America--in college football (AMERICAN football)---I live in the state of Pennsylvania---where a perenial power is Penn State. Since i was a kid---part of Penn State's "mystique" are their plain WHITE road jerseys---no names on the back--no "piping".......but, it's "plain-ness"makes it classy--as opposed to some of these "garish" color combos. Anyone who thinks the German white jerseys & black shorts are .."boring"...or.."blah"......are shallow-----:)

11. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    hahaha....that's great. And guess what I did? I forwarded the link straight to my British buddy who still thinks the goal was legite :D

That'll get his blood boiling and he will call me a bloody German bastard!

PRICELESS......:p

12. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I just stumbled on this thread (don't ask me how) and want to give credit where credit is due.

13. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True true

Nobody really picked Italy but they don't know we have this pact with them where we win cups in Italy and they win against Germany

14. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is it fair to say that the biggest rivalry for us is still Germany vs England? It least this is the game that I would least like to see our lads lose.

Smoga, I think you got that right. The rivalry is one-sided and no one in Germany cares about the Polish NT because we have always beaten Poland so far. ;) But Poland is definitely seen as big threat in the group stages.

I will never get the "Polish born players" thing, though. As far as I know the Kloses have a German ethic background and Miro's father doesn't like to be called a Pole. Podolski's grandparents are German and he came to Germany at the age of two and both players learned to play like that in Germany, never played for a Polish club. Are there people who actually think they should play for Poland just because they were born on Polish soil?

15. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I find the England rivalry very one-sided, too, in general England fans care much more about it.

About Polish vs. German players, let's just accept you can be a bit of both.

16. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    For me and all my German friends England doesn't come anywhere close to Holland as a footballing rival. But maybe this is an age thing and people who started following football in the second half of the nineties or later see things differently? I think the England - Germany rivalry has caught up a bit over the last 12 years or so.

Agree about the Polish players.

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dirk, I think gooner was saying it's the biggest rivalry for her.

It's the one I would least like to see Germany lose - and this is what I don't think many people get when I keep referring to England in here - because unlike you guys, I grew up with a heavy English influence, in an english school etc etc....the mickey-taking is very regular. Not because I am not German, but because it's Germany that I follow. I've had to put up with a lot of crap and a lot of outward arrogance, although it never gets too serious of course.

The mickey-taking extends to cricket of course and Australia/NZ :D. I hope all of you support Australia in the ashes next year (which could be another 5-0, don't worry).

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As a Germany fan, I don't really care about the Poland or England rivalry. I'd rather have Germany lose against them than a host of other nations.

19. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's italy, portugal and spain for you right?

20. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    In fact, she said "us", as in "us Germans". But I admit that she confuses me sometimes 'cos her lack of pessimism and her England bashing makes her look more like an Australian or Kiwi girl. :D

Anyway I understand that some non-German supporters have other preferences, but that's not really what this thread is about.

21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Along with Argentina and Brazil.

Whats more important than historical rivalries for me are our performances and results against the "top" National Teams at the moment, the ones considered to be the best in the world. The only way Germany will be considered the best is by beating all those.

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :D

To be honest though, new zealanders in my experience don't really "have a go" at england and theres not the same sense of satisfaction at beating them in sports.

I mean there's the standard digs but the australians have more variety there as well as it all being more intense in force. New Zealanders are (at least outwardly) happier to subordinate to the "mother country".

Even in rugby, the biggest rival is SA.

The aus/england rivalry is two-way in equal amount, unlike ger/eng.

But, it will never be dangerous for an australian to walk through an english crowd after a thrashing.

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    those teams aren't that impressive though at the moment, so compared to that, over the last 2 years germany are one of the best if not the best

the only factor that sways it in their favour is that they have players in the hyped leagues, so germany's wins could still be downplayed and other teams' defeats downplayed

cos yer know, only the CL and EPL matter

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with that, Portugal and Spain especially.

The others though will always be rated, no matter how their NTs do and the only way to overcome whatever inconsistencies and exaggerations exist is to beat them one on one.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and that's pretty bloody funny isn't it, considering that this is a comparison of international teams