PBP: Germany vs Portugal: June 9 - Arena Lviv [R]

Discussion in 'Group B - Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal' started by JaredSS07, Jun 2, 2012.

1. BENFICATUGA

BENFICATUGA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah it is very frustrating. We have Nelson Oliveira and he will be an awesome player in the future, but he isn't good enough yet... Well, he is still way better than Postiga and Almeida though. I'm a big Portugal and Germany fan, so i was hoping that it would end with a tie. I bet that Portugal will beat Denmark 2-0 and Germany will also beat Netherlands. In the end, Portugal and Germany will go through. I'm hoping it happens like this. :p

2. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Against other kids his own age he is. But although Postiga and Almeida are awful, Oliveira is just too green, and this game proved it.

3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Huh. That whole Varela chance came from Oliveira so not sure what you're getting at. I'll admit that he got pushed around by Hummels but that's only cause the guy is massive. Postiga didn't even dare go up against him.

4. BENFICATUGA

BENFICATUGA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't agree, he did quite well compared to others. Like benficafan3 (Benfica <3 ;D) said, Varela's chance came from Nelson, and you can't blame him for not scoring, because Germany's defense is very strong and bulky...

5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal played well better than I thought they would... I'm shocked that Germany didn't get three goals, but I'm even more shocked that Portugal didn't get one or two...

6. Mr X

Mr X Member

Denmark
    Jun 6, 2012
    So far Russia, Italy and Portugal have been the biggest suprises for me. They have all showed a strong display. Portugal deserved at least a point out of the match I reckon

7. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, I know, the pass to Varela... But that was it. The only good play he made was on a counter-attack (and those became rarer by the end of the game, as we were losing) and a lucky one even! What were the chances for that german defender to miss that ball?
    Postiga was awful too, he couldn't do s**t between Hummels and Badstubber. I don't like Almeida, but he should've been the chosen striker, he would shove the germans away, and he could actually act as a target for Ronaldo and Nani. Almeida played some years in Germany, he faced those guys often.

Don't get me wrong, I think Nelson is very good, and he'll certainly be a very important player on the NT in the future. Maybe even in this competition, against more average defenses, or maybe on the sides (that might have worked better yerterday, with Ronaldo on the middle), but he shouldn't have been our striker yesterday. And no he did not play well.

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Not exactly those guys. If I get it right, he played 12 minutes against CB Badstuber (plus 90 minutes with Badstuber playing LB), and 165 minutes against Hummels. Hummels and Badstuber are much younger than Almeida, and Hugo was usually Werder's 3rd striker.

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Everyone? Your tream didn't really surprise me, since I know about its quality. Congrats on a good performance, I think you deserved at least a draw in the end (we got lucky in a couple of situations).

I only got suprised by the fact that the German defence was stronger than many expected (except for the last 15 minutes, when it got under huge pressure because the midfield did a bad job) and that the attacking section was rather poor this time (normally, it's the other way around). And I was surprised that Germany still managed to beat a strong Portugal side, although many players (like Podolski, Müller, Özil, Schweinsteiger, Lahm) played far below their potential. Now we manage getting results against Portugal even without playing as well as in 2006 and 2008. Must be really frustrating for you guys. :)

10. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But that's still a whole lot better than Postiga's and Nelson's experience against those two. Or against germans in general.

By now we have gotten used to losing against you, it's like a reversed Portugal vs Netherlands. You're one of those teams that usually beat us or give us a really bad time, like France, Italy or any of the scandinavian nations.

11. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i know what you mean we have the same problem with those balkan countrys like serbia, croatia and even bulgaria in the past... they always beat us. its like a curse.
    anyway, good luck for your next games.

12. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    You forgot Italy.