Post-match: Germany vs Mexico World Cup 2018 17 June - Luzhniki Stadium

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. Germany

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    It would be useful to have both. My guess Loew dropped Sane because he thought we have enough offensive weapons that a dribbler/game changer was not needed and that a dribbler like Sane would create defensive risk when losing the ball.

Ger90 repped this.
  2. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    What annoyed me the most was how the German players kept expecting the ref to call cheap/pressure fouls when he and others have not been calling them since the start of the WC.

Ger90 repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I called it before that this wasnt a team so thats rather not newsworthy. How would you play if the coach's favorite player is doubtful if he actually gives 100%?

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    agreed but that's dump, we need dribblers on our team. It's always been the missing element to our attack to make us even more dangerous, hard to stop.

I'm at least glad to see that plenty of up and coming youth players have dribbling skills, although almost all these players are still in the youth levels. Which could be very very helpful in the future.

5. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kroos especially is at fault for this. He’s become used to the way referees treat Real players.

6. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don’t have a subscription or anything. They tend to get things right with Bayern more often than not. Of course you do need to weed through the garbage to find it.

Ger90 repped this.
  7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    refs treat Real players like VIP security, lol.

8. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    I think it was a mistake as well. Team has been needing dribblers for a few years now. Even at the last Euro, Loew stated we did not have the players that can change things up but I guess he has forgotten that. What Loew does not get is that it is almost impossible to open up packed defences with passing and combination play and more often than not will end up losing the ball. A dribbler can create havoc and break down the defence.... just provide them cover in case they lose the ball... At least Reus can make a difference, so that is a positive. having both (Reus and Sane) would have provided more options...

Ger90 repped this.
  9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #384 White/Blue_since1860, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    @Rosebud
    Why has not nominating Sane worsened the team situation? Cause one side (Kroos) said he was good for nothing and the others said they are gonna need him?

10. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The players may hate each other for all I know, but I still expect them to be professional, pull themselves together and fight for every win.

I remember many years ago when I read an interview with Gerd Müller in which he revealed that even though he won it, he really didn't enjoy the 1974 World Cup because the defeat vs East Germany put the whole squad in a bad mood and from that point they spent the rest of the tournament arguing and disagreeing amongst themselves, unlike the previous tournament in Mexico where there was genuine camaraderie and unity in the squad.

Maybe the team needs a bit of discord to win this World Cup.

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bierhoff and Flick have also made the same remarks about the need of game changing dribblers on the team in the last 2 years.

what do we currently have?
    -Draxler, basically an ex-dribbler, who seems like a scared child when it comes to dribbling, hasn't dribbled for real in ages. Doesn't even try anymore.
    -Reus
    -Sane, left out
    -Brandt, lacks top level experience at doing it
    -Gnabry, injured and missed the WC
    -Younes, unprofessional attitude made him waste the whole year. Now needs to rebuild his career supposedly at Napoli. Although he's a good dribbler but not efficient scorer/assister.

nekkibasara repped this.
  12. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm sorry hava, but I don't recall Hummels ever being a douche.

13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Waldi Hartmann just said he talked to one of the players and he was told the team mood is "seething". Further many Bauern players still struggle with the CL semis against Real. It could be seen in the game vs Stuttgart and the cup final. Well damn half the linup plays for Bauern

14. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First thought this is garbage . The players with immigrant background on one side, pure Germans on one.

Of course to further the current narrative about the team

15. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont know , but i think Mueller and Oezil have some issue playing togather these days.

Both are on a regression. I know they still provide certain stats, but from what i saw, i felt like those stats are fake.

Oezil is not as good as before, many 5m passes, back passes n so on. I dont like his body language, compativieness

16. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    People here lways think possession is key. passing is just a small part of possession football

Pressing and mobility are key in possession football .

And we lack those elements in our game. Khedira is aging, Kroos doesnt provide coverage, Oezil is unstable n inconsistent; Mueller is just not good

So why possession if we lack those key elements?

We should fine tune our style of football again, some of our top talents do not fit into possession game that well in my opinion (Timo Werner? Leroy Sane?) , to utilise them we need to have a slight change.

I think youngsters like Moukoko, Adeyemi, Pohlmann and so on are more for counters too.

we need a new system, so these youngsters can play at their best.

I dont think we have the best personnel for possession football, because of the lack of mobility, compatitiveness and pressing

Ger90 and BorisG repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    having been thru the highs and lows of so many world cups including rugby world cups I do have some sympathy with Loews approach.

yes i think he is guilty of not refreshing the midfield enough BUT he also has the problem that there are no super star CMs for him to pick outside of Kroos

You can see why he is not betting the tournament on Rudy and Goretzka

Sure LG is a talent but is he ready to take a world cup by storm?

And he did try to integrate Sane but he was crap

I think the tweaks needed are not so huge as all that.

But Germany need an extra body in midfield and sensible tactics

Ger90, nekkibasara, hava and 1 other person repped this.
  18. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Until Leon goretzka gets a run in the side we will never know

BorisG repped this.
  19. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You dont need a superstar at DM. U can have someone quiet and not as high profile like Dieter Eilts did. Its about the function one can provide, not skill and fame

We just simply need a mobile, tackling midfielder to protect the area between Kroos/Khedira and the back 4. Its not rocket science. U dont need a big name possession player to play there

Lars Bender can be a good option. U just need to think more about the tactical side other than someone being a "super star". Or maybe u can have an Eric Dier who switch between CB and DM, u just need some defence in midfield, some physicality n toughness. Sule can be an option

The thing is , we need to re-think about our possession style. Are we really perfect fit for possession based footy? Maybe not because our lack of pressing and mobility.

keeping Oezil and Mueller, actually restrict some of our tactical options. We can only play 4-2-3-1

Loew's preparation to the WC is terrible. He thinks Kroos and Khedira are good enough, 4-2-3-1 doesnt need any change and possession football still dominate.

He doesnt bring in other elements like Sane's dribbling, Phlipp Max's crossings, Wagner's aerial ability, Lars Bender's defensive ability and toughness in midfield.

U dont need these guys starting but u might need some of these elements in certain matchup, even off the bench

Plan A doesnt always work. But if your Plan B is the same as your plan A, i see that as a problem,

Ger90, hava and BorisG repped this.
  20. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    why do u need superstars and super skilled players ?

U dont, u just need those elements in games.

21. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Having been a regular observer of the premiership for the last 10-15 years I would say ozil has definitely regressed under Wenger, wengers protection of the players at any cost brought the comfort levels for the arsenal players, hence no premier ship title or a brilliant run in the champions league, ozil became lazy under the management of wenger and basically never turned up for big games knowing the manager backs his players at all cost, ozil is a shadow of the player who was at Madrid and the sooner Loew realises that the better

22. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Spot on buddy, loew has not progressed from this highline possession based suicidal tactics, specially with a pedestrian core of the side, had he freshend the vital areas the core then the transition could have been very smooth, but on the optimistic side regarding this world cup Germany can still mount a serious challenge even with the current squad, issues are seemingly to mount up in Brazil camp with neymar 60% fit, theres even talk of france having issues with deschamps

23. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we cant do highline possession because we lack pressing and mobility. its a slightly aging squad in modern era, especially our startling lineup

24. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I agree about adding Rudy at 6 to shore up the defence - but i doubt Low will do it

Ozil is actually one of the few Arse players to have elite data season on season