Post-match: Germany vs Mexico World Cup 2018 17 June - Luzhniki Stadium

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Jun 17, 2018.
  1. Germany

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sule like boetang and hummels is not mobile for that role, I think rudiger is more suited to the role

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think this was more a failure of the tactics in the first half

They were expecting to be pressed high, so a plan was for Boateng to play diagonal balls over the press to Drax and to be fair he plays them accurately

but then when Mex didn't press high, this left Boateng in acres of space unsure of what to do - so he just played long anyway but actually he should get the ball to Kroos and Ozil

Same thing happened in the second half when Mex sat in a low block.

The ball often ended up with Boateng in the chain so he lumped it in from the right hand slot

But again this is stupid when you have an elite assister in Ozil who can deliver a far better ball from the slot - or also Kimmich can whip it in

I mean in their dark moments this season Arsenal resorted to just using Ozil to dump it from the high right slot to Giroud but it works as a tactic because this is one thing Ozil can do to an elite level.

When you see Baoteng and Mueller attempting those crosses something has gone wrong

La Magica repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean Sule as a 3rd CB freeing one of the FBs to pinch into midfield

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So it seems yesterday was in fact an epic tactical failure from Loew

he expected Mex to play possession and press high

5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    mhhhhhhhhh Wonder what Low Will do now.....
    Does he play
    4-1-4-1
    5-4-1
    4-3-3
    but hopefully not 4-2-3-1

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oezil, Khedira,Mueller, Plattenhardt and Draxler were the worst players out there. Instead of trying something different, Kimmich kept crossing high into the box every single time. Mexican victory was confirmed when Gomez came in

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Did Plattenhardt really do much wrong stepping in as cover?

i thought he was solid.

Karl-Heinz Riedle repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think Ted just did the whole analysis in one tweet

1008628727029420032 is not a valid tweet id

.... and especially not in a high line

Thomsen and BorisG repped this.
  9. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is why Ted mentions age curves in his next tweet

27-28 is peak ages for a CM and unsurprisingly maps to Kroos career outputs as he can run a midfield now.

BUT 31 is old and that combination of 3 guys is dangerous if you want to play them high

The idea that Ozil & Kroos can't be played in a 3 man midfield is wrong - germany played most of the World cup final that way but Schweini sat deep (aged 29) with the two younger guys - Kroos aged 24 and Ozil aged 25 ahead of him - i.e. two men at peak physical fitness. Ozil had the highest sprint output for german players in that tourney,

So ideally now Ozil+Kroos have a younger guy to help them rather than an even older guy!

11. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely. Can't believe it he and his coaching staff were completely bemused by the mexiacan counterpart, problem is Mexico have now put a blue print to How to expose the tortoise Germany midfield and defence, hence they have to change, Sweden a traditional European side with a predictable style should enable Germany to find their feet, south korea are toothless so in a way loew must take advantage of this opportunity to twinker with tactics and personnel

Ger90 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    That's why I'm disappointed he didn't call Weigl.

13. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The difference yesterday between Jogi and the coach for Mexico was that he adapted his team to how Germany played, while Jogi was way too overconfidence in thinking that Germany could play the way they usually do, although I've never ever seen so many players for Germany go forward like yesterday

I guess the reason I really like Germany is because they play entertaining football - sending many players forward and playing risky
    but in a fricking world cup you'd expect the coaches to rethink if it's worth taking the risk sending 7-8 players forward all the time
    especially when the midfielders can't cover a shit

I just don't understand the criticism towards Hummels and Boateng lol, suddenly they are shit defenders because they couldn't cover the oceans of spaces yesterday? I think they did a good job considering the circumstances yesterday. Yes some mistakes, but not any defenders in the world would've been flawless yesterday

I don't know how many of you have actually played football, but then you know that 2vs2 situations are hard enough
    2vs3 situations are really hard - you'll have to retreat all the way back towards your own goal hoping for a mistake by the attackers or waiting for support from the rest of the team

I can't then imagine how difficult and awful it must have been for Boateng and Hummels in those 2vs4 situations yesterday

Minttunator repped this.
  14. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    At least only one goal was conceded yesterday
    the goal difference might be crucial at the end

well what do we hope for today? Tie and 0-0 is probably the best result

Ger90 repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought Hummels slipped a couple of times(thus leaving Boating almost by himself), plus along with the disappearing FB's, Boating & Hummels moved up field themselves(to take part on offense/or at least rest control of the midfield).

the take first control of the mid by sheer numbers(or referred by some as 'total football' or dfb manual)', concept gives little chance for fast breaks & leaves the back exposed to counters, but I guess can look good if you got the well disciplined, premium/players in their prime, lineups to enforce it(like Spain 2010, Germany 2014)

Kakeru and Raumdeuter repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem is when Sami K is losing the ball around the 16 - then that leaves a huge gap back to the CBs which they try to close up

17. Lewisfromuk

Lewisfromuk Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    May 15, 2018
    They have Rudy, Rudy actually played really well when partner with Kroos during the qualified macths...

18. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Smart comments and a fresh take on the issue. However, do we ( or the wider world in general) really need his opinion RIGHT NOW?
    I'd like Mueller to show his 2010 WC enthusiasm on the field. I can remember the absolute joy when he scored from an Ozil counter against England. Those days seem so distant. That is what we need Mueller to do now, and not opine on social media or the media in general. Less of talking, more of playing.

I've read Boateng and Hummels comments in the press and they have made stark incriminating statements, mainly against Loew's strategy (or lack of). No denying that Loew didn't do his homework for the Mexico game, but why discuss this in the open. Germany is a team tearing at the seams. Kind of like the dissesnsion in the France team at WM 2010. Or closer to home, like the Matthaus Klinsmann fallout before the 1998 WC.

Hopefully two wins out of the next two and the frayed nerves can relax. Until then its going to be a long 10 days.

19. fanOfBayern

fanOfBayern Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Berlin
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #344 fanOfBayern, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    I have said this about Bayern all season - Mueller is done. His touches are clumsy, crosses/passes are atrocious, consistently boucing off the opposition players. He is not in a good shape to play, let alone start on the wings. I mean what the hell is he doing on the wings and when has he excelled in that position to deserve that place in a world cup game?

Khedira should not start again...especially when you have a much younger and better players like Goretzka waiting for his chance.

Draxler was just sheisse. Sane should have been part of the team.

Disapponting start, but I hope Loew gets his head right first and follow up with getting the tactics and the starting eleven right.

20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    The Mexicans did a great job preventing Kroos from connecting play and allowing Khedira to do it instead (and fail), rendering Germany's left flank useless. Would have been better that a DM collected the ball, carried it up the pitch, without taking any risk and shortening the distance of a pass. You'd form a diamond with the goalie, the two CBs and the DM. Thanks to Mexico's limited press Germany actually had plenty of time and space to safely and cleanly build out from deep. Even if the Mexicans had started pressing higher the diamond in the back should comfortably overload and play out cleanly. Seeing Mexico didn't, Germany should have been able to drive out of defence with the ball and draw in pressers from their opponents’ midfield, freeing up more advanced players.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lothar Matthäus
    "What an incredible disappointment yesterday. No pressing, no stability. The gaps were so big that you are almost scared. Especially between the central defenders and the midfielders. Everything a German team has always been was nonexistent. Nothing!"

"you are not playing to Thomas Müller's strengths when you isolate him on the wing. He lacks speed and dribbling. He is best at Bayern when he moves around Lewandowski. He was not present yesterday, was constantly running into the void."

"Only Boateng and Manuel Neuer can leave the game with their heads held high. The so-called Löw favourites and leaders have abandoned their coach and by that I mean Khedira, Özil and Müller"

"Reus should have started. I would pick him over Özil. In a World cup, it's all about starting the tournament perfectly, not saving your players because you're likely to get far. You don't play ter Stegen to save Neuer for the semi finals, so why not start Reus

"Julian Brandt was criticised for taking a selfie with a fan after the game. He did a small favour to a kid, so what? I could understand criticism if he was caught drunk at a party in Moscow, but that was a human gesture."

"I don't care about Özil's attitude towards the team, nor that he doesn't sing the anthem, but that he doesn't beckon the fans after the game, that I can't understand. You made a mistake so such gesture would be good. He gives the impression he's not part of the team

22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #347 Boandlkramer, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Put Sule in the 6! Which would really mean a 3 man back with him and CBS defending? Yea, it sounds ridiculous.

We are a flanking team...and Low will live or die by this....the die is cast

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    having 3 at the back frees Kimich to go forward and play essentially as a wide midfielder

24. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The big question is does loew actually come down with his ego to go against his outdated philosophy

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    i think he'll probably pick a 3rd midfielder as its the kind of thing he has done before.

They'll probably also sit deeper at CM like in the second half.

But I think he is just too wedded to guys like Khedira to drop him.

Boandlkramer repped this.