PBP: Germany vs. Ghana | June 23 | Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Unless This happens: Germany draw, Serbia draw (Ghana, Germany are thru respectively), Germany are either thru at 1st or out of the tournament.

Now, 2 BIG QUESTION MARKS:

1) Who'll start at Klose's CF position?

2) Should Badstuber start? I realize Ghana's RW Ayew is pretty agile n fast as well, so a towering defender like Badstuber may hv similar problem as he had VS Serbia

*Podolski's confidence level is pretty close to zero, but we all know that Loew wont abandon him for inexpereinced players like Jansen n Kroos at LW

*Based on jornalists, Kiessling has been doing terribly in the training camp; not to mention his inexperience n poor showing against Malta in the friendly match.........I dun see him as an option at CF

*Thomas Mueller at CF is an option. He is perhaps skinny, but he definitely has better positioning, "nose for goal"(killer instinct), off-the-ball movement, chemistry with teammates n composure than most other forwards we have. He always shows up in the right place at the right time, thats something special inside him

Cacau can be the impact player off the bench or if Mueller cant play well there.

My team:

-------------------------Neuer
    ---Lahm---Mertesacker---------Friedrich-----Jansen
    ----------Schweinsteiger--------Khedira
    ---Oezil-----------------Kroos--------------Podolski
    -------------------------Mueller

2. Philipp Lahm

Philipp Lahm Member+

Feb 24, 2010
    Russian Federation
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Too many changes... It will be the same team, and Cacau will start.

Also, fgs forget about Kroos at number 10.

3. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    I agree thats too many changes and somewhat unecessary ones. Ghana is a team that leaves far more space to play. Something we need in order for our game to work. Id like to see someone else than Badstuber on the left, but from the interviews it seems that Löw has gotten himself a new pet. The logical substitution would be obviously Cacau in for Klose.

4. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Cacau at CF + Mueller at RW = Mueller at CF + Marin at RW

Either way, it doesnt make a huge difference. Marin is more creative n has better passing/crossing than Mueller's. But apparently, Mueller's positioning inside the penalty box, "killer instinct", hustle, composure n off-the-ball make him valuable if the team swtiches to 4-3-3 when attack.

Mueller cant cross on the flank, thats pretty obvious.

A 4-4-2 like this is also ok:

------------------Neuer
    -Lahm--Mertesacker---Friedrich--Jansen/Badstuber
    -----------Schweini---Khedira
    ---Oezil--------------------------Podolski
    ------------Mueller----Cacau

5. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Not exactly, in an interview Loew specifically points out Badstuber for his poor performance against the Serbian

Jansen is no LB either. but he is more experienced, faster n more agile to handle Ayew. To be honest, he cant be worse than Badstuber at LB anyway. N i think his experience is somewhat needed in this team.

I have absolutely no idea who are we gonna play at LB, if we're playing against Argentina (Messi), Holland (Robben) n Spain (David Silva) at RW.

6. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    I do agree that against a very fast Ghana team, Jansen would be far more adequate, since Badstuber is so awfully slow. However, it has been quite some time since Jansen has been used as a LB it could backfire. Isnt Aogo a LB as well?

7. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jansen is an absolute disaster at leftback.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpmPgTXAFsA"]YouTube- CROATIA - GERMANY 2:1 euro2008 fans and goals[/ame]

Boateng kept Robben in his pocket last season, he can be a good defensive fullback but he is so damn inconsistent and a card magnet.

8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Jansen is not worse than Badstuber at LB

Post those highlights of the Bayern -Man Utd CL match, u'll understand what i m talking about. Holger didnt play well at all in the Ger-Serbia match too

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    Ghana only needs a draw to go through which is kind of bad news, but on the other hand they have not been convinsing so far -2 games, both they were a man up, and they scored twice from the penalty spot.
    Regarding tactics, I'd like to see Jansen in Podolski's place but I doubt this will happen. I am not sure if Cacau is the most appropriate choice for this game but again the best option imo would be Kiessling, and there is no way Low will start him in such a crucial match.
    Either way, the German team is entering a series of do-or-die matches, the Ghana match is the first one; if they win they go thtough, if they fail they go home. Exciting and stressful at the same time.

11. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Initially, I thought that the results from direct duels are decisive (as being the case at the EC) for advancing with the same amount of points ... but it seems that FIFA prefers the goal difference, so we could even go through with a draw (being 2nd in the group and thus avoiding Argentina in a possible 1/4 final) if Serbia doesn't manage to defeat the Aussies.

I'm not keen on relying on this scenario, though. :)

Gute N8

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we get through, I'm pretty confident against anyone. Im impressed by the way we reacted to the red card and the serbian defence in this game. Nothing at all like the croatia match at klangenfurt

13. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have literally lost all joy out of the World Cup at the moment, I skipped a match, watched half of another and surfed through the web during the exciting Cameroon match. I've always watched with tension and excitement after Germany gets eliminated for the other teams, however after last match for us I lost all appeal. Hopefully we qualify.

14. BigRedBayern

BigRedBayern Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    EQ stay positive mate. All we need to do is score 1 then park the bus and not let Ghana through. If a 10 man Australian side can hold them to 1 score we definitely can- granted Lowe pulls his head out.:D

15. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    So what's the consensus on who starts at Left-Back? Netzer on Bild says that that's an area of concern for Loew for the next game and that Badstuber is more fitted for the CB role, which has been obvious to all of us for some time. He says that swapping Lahm to the left and bringing in Boateng for the right spot is an option. Anyone read anything else in the media as to which way Loew is leaning?

16. Marcson

Marcson New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Wiesbaden
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know it is unlikely, but i really would like to see Lahm going back to LB, where he imho made his best games.
    This said, there would be two options:

Number one. Same players, different position...
    Friedrich RB, Mertesacker CB, Badstuber CB, Lahm LB

Number two. Bring in the brothers.
    Boateng RB, Mertesacker CB, Friedrich CB, Lahm LB

17. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    +1990
    _______
    _______

18. sean4stuttgart

sean4stuttgart New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like the idea of doing brother against brother. I really think this could be a switch the ignites the side. But either way, I think when we play against stronger sides with strong RW, I dont mind putting Lahm on the left, and Friedrich on the right. But i say bring on Boetang at some point during the match.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like this, with Mueller and Cacau both playing as SS as well as CF...

20. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And where exactly is the creativity in the middle going to come from? The only thing that made the team unpredictable with the 4-2-3-1 is that Ozil was in the middle, it's like seeing a downgraded Bayern 4-2-2-2, but with wingers that aren't as good or influential.

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From your boy, Schweini...

22. Marcson

Marcson New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Wiesbaden
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ghana played a very similar 4-2-3-1, pretty much the same tactical formation that germany played the last two matches. If both are going to play on with that, it's likely that there will be almost no space in midfield. 4-4-2 may create more space in midfield and prevent, that the forward is left alone up front.

If Cacau starts in a 4-2-3-1 most of the time there would be no single forward in the center of the attacking area, because he will move back into midfield many times, to receive the ball. This style is good to revive a match when lethargy sets in and nothing's really going well. Cacau is usually a great player coming from the bench...

I would rather not start with Cacau in a 4-2-3-1.

23. Bluecrux

Bluecrux Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hate this 4-2-3-1. And I am so bored of these crosses coming over and swept off by defenders again and again except in the case of Germany.

Germany would be going into this match with a goal down.

We should expect less from strikers, there's no good targetman available other than Muller. I'd play Kroos but it's too risky. We have to stretch them apart and make space in the midfield.
    I'd like the 2-2-2-2-2 formation.

Schweini and Khedira, both should take turns attacking and defending.
    We need Schweini.

24. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany 2 - 0 Ghana , you heard it first here:D

I just dont want to see GOMEZ in the line-up, i think kiesseling should get a chance to play
    :rolleyes:

25. Immanuel Kant

Immanuel Kant Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is awesome. Yes, I am now officially supersticious.