Germany vs Ecuador & USA - US Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Mar 21, 2013.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Green is the official color of the DFB.

2. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It is one of the colors of the German FA (DFB), the others are black and white:
    [​IMG]

3. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you will get that team when we play a game that have any significant

WolframvonEschenbach repped this.
  4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

5. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    For sure it was a penalty. The US player tackled him with a stretched leg and there was a contact.
    But it was a friendly, I simply hope we don't get this referee at the WC.

6. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good game friends :thumbsup:

7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. rantanplan

rantanplan Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Berlin
    We should stay with the legends even though they are not true.

It is the irish green as they were the first opponent of the NT after 45.

Sounds way better.

9. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    There is currently an interview with Klinsmann and Loew. Klinsmann praises Dempsey and Jones "they can play at each level", while Loew saw a good performance by Kruse (like us). :)

goindownsouth repped this.
  10. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Truer words have not been spoken. :thumbsup:

11. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Jermaine Jones a top 3 central midfielder in the BL. :ROFLMAO:
    He is nothing more than a human foul machine.

But Clint Dempsey is a good player. Not only today, but also for Tottenham (and in the past for Fulham).

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not sure how much we can draw from this match.

ter Stegen made a dreadful error but he's a great goalkeeper and extremely young with a lot of pressure on him. Doesn't mean he should be tossed out. Maybe it's simply not his time yet but he will learn. Moreover he is very good with the ball at his feet so today was simply a one-off, a bizarre anomaly.

The defense on the whole for U.S.'s goals was atrocious. I don't know why Löw pairs Mertesacker and Höwedes. When you give the latter a chance, at least pair him with someone compatible.

From the entire trip, Draxler and Kruse were the two stand-outs with Sam also good but still showing poor final decision making. Unfortunately for Sam, he has too many players ahead of him no matter what but Draxler is now ahead of Schürrle who was disappointing. Kruse can be long term Klose replacement. Superb from him in last two matches. His movement on and off the ball, his ability to link up, and turn and shoot. And he's not a traditional striker like Klose or Gomez but offers the technique and intelligence of Klose. Moreover he can play off-left, and off-right.

Podolski, well what can we say. His move to drop deeper said everything about what he simply can't offer in attack any longer. Even there it was kind of interesting but he was at fault for not closing down Dempsey for one of the goals. Future looks extremely bleak for him.

13. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can understand why some people were having a go on this thread, and yes - ultimately, this match was meaningless. But the fact still remains that these guys were selected to represent the national team, and the performance and effort from some of them was unbecoming to say the least. There was an opportunity here to prove their long-term worth, and some just didn't rise to it very well.

This was a game that could and perhaps should have been won, but the team selection and tactics were pretty woeful. Podolski is only in this team because Löw's long-term mission is to make him the most capped Germany international of all time, and ter Stegen just isn't up to the mark yet. I understand your comment about him being young Sir M., but this isn't a one-off - he was between the sticks for the 3-1 defeat against Argentina (OK, to be fair it was with nine outfield players after Zieler was sent off) but was also guarding the Tor during the last disaster in the green Trikot against Switzerland where he let in five.

In all, he has leaked a dozen goals in three games, which probably makes him - statistically at least - the worst German keeper since the amateur days.

OK, let's name those that have to go after this silly tour.

Westermann. The butt of nearly everybody's jokes on here, this guy can finish well from set pieces, but that's not what he's there for. Most of the time he looks like he is standing in a vat of wet cement.

Aogo. One of those called up in desperation, and I can't see him play for the A side again after this. His standing static in the build up to the US' third goal was bad enough, but the complaining after it just made me roll my eyes.

Mertesacker. One that will probably stick around, unfortunately. Too slow, and had the mickey taken out of him by both Ecuador and the US.

Hunt. Er, no comment. A desperate selection at best.

Reinartz. Ditto. Like Hunt, it was his first time back in the team since a 2010 friendly, and I don't expect to see him perform at this level again.

ter Stegen. For reasons explained above. He is mentally not quite there, and after previous disasters his nerves will really be shot now. Zieler is a better long-term bet as far as the youngsters go, and it is only because of the Under-21 Euros being on at the same time that Leno wasn't given a go. Looking at Brazil 2014, we need Weidenfeller as the backup to Neuer.

On the fringe:

Podolski. The guy has won 110 caps, which is about enough unless he can really prove that he has adapted his game. The two goals against Ecuador are an illusion; after this he was something of a liability.

Neustädter. I'd give him another chance, but he really didn't impress in the game against Ecuador with an selection of poor passes and positioning.

Schürrle. A problem case for me, as I like the guy. However he was awful against Ecuador and equally poor against the US. One decent move followed by a poor finish, and nothing to speak about after that. His form is on the wane, and the move to being a bench-warmer alongside the long-lost Marko Marin at Chelsea isn't not going to help him a bit. I can see him not making the 2014 squad at this rate.

On the upside, three names come to mind.

Kruse. Looked good in the first match before disappearing in the humidity, but made a different in today's match - capping it off with a well-taken goal. As Sir M. says, he is good choice as the Klose replacement, as he has the perfect all-round game and versatility to work alongside the top choices.

Draxler. After a sluggish start showed plenty of invention, and as the game went on was increasingly dangerous. He would be my man to start out on the left instead of Podolski, more so given Schürrle's decline.

Sam. As Sir M. says he is never going to be a first-choice, but he has done enough on this tour to merit a further look. Made the second goal against Ecuador and looked sprightly this evening, and may work well as an impact sub when up against tired legs.

14. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we're better than your B-team. :thumbsup: I was wondering if your keeper had too much beer before the match.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

C team, that hardly ever played together and just finished an entire season.

Congrats though. Big leap for you guys.

17. KFofB

KFofB Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Mittelfeld
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Laughed out Loud!

18. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    This is a correct analysis. Draxler in, Schuerrle raus, I have been saying it all along.

Or maybe it says that the knock he has been carrying for the past 6 months took away his mobility come the second half, once again? Podolski looked out of position as a DM though, despite his assist.

19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They were not. It was Switzerland.

21. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

Kruse a good choice as a Klose replacement? I don't really see that happening. If anything, Gomez still has that down. Keep in mind if we are bringing on Klose instead of Gotze, it means we we need a goal right away.

I agree with you about Schurrle, he has talent - but he is MUCH BETTER suited to a team like Arsenal, or United, a team that actually needs a winger to start, not a winger to come off the bench. A suicide move for the dude, another German we won't be hearing much from again.

Honestly, Draxler is a good player, but I still see Reus being miles, miles ahead of him. I have no idea where Podolski is going, he can stay on the bench.

22. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Well... Reus is 4 years older. It is natural. Draxler is still only 19. Reus had his breakthrough season at the age of 21. For now Reus is better but we will see in the future.

23. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Keeping all options open of course. However, Reus has some great experience at the highest level. He took Borussia Moch. to a very high level. We'll see if Draxler can do the same.

24. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Draxler was key in Schalke finishing 4th and had good games in the Champions League.

25. WolframvonEschenbach

Nov 16, 2011
    Chicago, Illinois
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? I thought it was pitiful. On every level. Maybe the worst German performance I've witnessed in the last 11 years. These players are regular starters for their respective Bundesliga clubs & it appeared as though Löw didn't even bother to prepare them for this match. I knew this wasn't going to be Ecuador, but Jesus, the Germans couldn't be bothered to really commit anything to this match. The performance of the United States was epic & deserve all the credit. They took the match to the Germans right from the get-go & it paid dividends. Nevertheless, I saw the signs in the second half of the Ecuador match & it carried forward to this match. I certainly didn't expect to win this match, but the German performance was anything but "great".

Cris 09 repped this.