GERMANY vs ARGENTINA [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by greenlion, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more like Marta carries brazil, and they're lost without her. They're reduced to a bunch of hacks without her.

2. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please. If that were true, then Umea would run over all of europe and the swedish league and marta would have 4 goals each game. The USA and Germany have THE best defenses in the world. Germany is so well organized in the back, I can't see how one player will dominate them.

3. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    28,098 = ticket sold I think
    the capacity of hongkou is 34,834, yes it's looked like a full house last nignt

4. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Take this as to Why Agentina Beat Brazil:

One, Missing Marta... One Player, spectacular
    Two, the team did not train together since the Olympics.
    Three, mixing in new players and the rest

For Perspective, look at the Farewell games for the US after the olympics, The us was not training together and played really sloppy against mediocre teams, causing them to lose to Denmark and I think they tied during the series.

Brazil basically flew in a few days before the tournament, trained and played after being apart and playing for different teams with different styles

5. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    I'm not saying she can win a game all on her own but Umeå IS a top team in Europe and it is largely because of her.

And yes, on a good day she can easily give the German or American national team defenses a lot of trouble almost on her own.
    Of course she as any other player needs some decent team mates to deliver the ball to her as well, but having her in a Brazilian team, or any team, makes a huge difference.

Note that i actually want Germany to win the world cup.

6. BadLlama

BadLlama Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Gainesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just checking in on this thread after seeing the boxscore and don't know if it's been covered here yet but anybody know why Romina Ferro didn't play? She's by far the better GK for Argentina and was one of the best shotstoppers in the tournament at the last WWC (despite her defense not helping her at all)

7. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I was wondering the same thing. As bad as the goalie was, she did make some good saves. Her defense left her wide open, even a better goal keeper would have had to fish the ball out of the net considering the defense went AWOL several times in front of the goal.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I've been wondering the same thing for the past 15 or so hours and have been checking back here for the same thing. Unfortunately, discussion here veered off a bit. If anybody knows, please comment. I'm not familiar with the Argentine team, but recall hearing the keeper that was used was the keeper used in the Pan-Am Games. The big boys(girls?) in the Americas didn't bring their top squads. The level of play was nowhere near the level of the top Senior international teams. Why would she be used over a proven keeper with results? I hate to pile so much on one person especially since it is a team game and it was a team loss, but I think we can agree she had a bad game. I agree her defense left her out to dry on several occasions, but many of those same situations were created by poor positioning or clearances by her. It's unfortunate for her, the team, and well...women's soccer that the result was what it was.

9. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    I believe she had a knee(?) injury during training, a couple days before the match.

EDIT: No, sorry, that was Mariela Coronel.

10. BadLlama

BadLlama Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Gainesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well it had to be something because she is on the squad and is still the #1. As to sitruc's comment, yeah you're right, the blame shouldn't be heaped on Correa alone and the responsibility and hope shouldn't rest solely on Ferro either but with a team like Argentina you have to put your best out there. I'm starting to think now that maybe the coach threw the game...

hear me out...

Ferro didn't play but neither did Andrea Ojeda, who is one of if not THE best young striker on the team. Germany is a teutonic powerhouse no matter whether if it's a men's or women's match. With 5'8 German defenders and 5'10 Birgit Prinz towering over the Argentines, not to mention the raw talent and experience of a team with the likes of Renate Lingor on it may have convinced the coaching staff to take the hit and avoid injuries or cards against a team they didn't think they had a chance against (it was 6-1 last time even WITH Ferro in goal).
    discuss :)

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ...interesting...

12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey, I didn't know here's a "Germany vs Argentina" thread, too! :)

Yeah. :D

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes of course it is!!!..

because of my enthusiasm yesterday, I forgot to add it..

of course.......Neid´s team:)

but this Envy 11 sounds better:)....

it is bltleo english language:)

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanx for this enlightenment, dear Mirka. :p

Btw: It seems that your glorious patriotism/enthusiasm surfaces again. ;)

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that, too. At least it's no big surprise ... since it isn't easy to replace such great players.

We have a decent squad once again, but i feel it hasn't the level of the German team 4 years ago. We'll see...

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what is your prediction for German team?

I know it is difficult to evaluate the situation now....since we need to play against another, strong teams...However, as you noticed, I ´m confident that our women will manage it...
    they can make it!

so my prediction is Finale!
    winning the finale of course

17. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    hey watch out for my girl kelly smith.....

germany was not tested at all, so we won't be able to judge them until they play england....

and no one wll want to play north korea!!

18. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    it makes sense trying to get a well balanced tournament ...
    but ...

1. women soccer has not yet such a bandwidth like man soccer, so thats no black&white thing. you have to find out compromises

similar situation in the euro 2008 qualifying (men)

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/5322128.stm
    2. you have to compare more results. a 'new record' is not representative ... every day a new record would be a problem ;)

3. argentina might not be the best team but such a result is also atypical for them ...

19. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    don't forget FIFA is very concerned about 11-0 scores, and have yet to decide IF there will be a NEXT world cup, or whether it would be 16 or 24 sides...

on the whole, excepting the 11-0 match, the competitiveness has been better than past world cups...

i see technical ability being better, go back and watch the tapes of 1991, and it's amazing....

i don't see FIFA expanding to 24 teams next wwc, but 2015, i think africa and south america can each add another side...

europe, well, there are some really good sides NOT at this wolrd cup, so they are not the issue...

so if, we add nations.... what i'd do is ADD 3 from uefa....

and have 3 play-in matches....

south america versus concacaf....mexico versus whomever...

asia versus africa....at least some one will earn it across confederations...

and another asian versus south america...basically the aussies in asia, mean they are nearly automatic there..

the NEXT step is....teams need to play MORE frequently.....you get better the more you play, so with all the money FIFA has, spend some of it on getting teams to play more....quality will increase as they play more often

20. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Well, that cannot be compared though. The meaning of qualification is to filter out the teams that are not competitive, so there will always be blowout scores.

21. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    8:0 is not too far from 11:0, though. Results like that happen. Just not too often. Still, a single game means nothing.

22. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    True dat. However, it's obvious that women football isn't as competitive as men football. Not surprising really, since it doesn't have the history nor the popularity of the men's sport. But you're right that the 11-0 was still very unusual.

23. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    The only thing the game showed was that there is a great difference in the development, the support and the infrastructure of women's soccer between Germany and Argentina. There was an interesting short article about the lack of training for female goalies in a German magazine, a point illustrated by some shaky goal keeping in the World Cup.

It's tough to scout, train and keep talented players if there are very few resources to do that. Germany only lately has come around to recognising their female players.

As a reminder: most of the members of the 2003 World Cup winning German team had JOBS!! Which is ridiculous when you really think about ...

I can't even imagine how bad the situation must be for female soccer players in Argentina ....

24. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    i said "similar" not "same" ...

the qualifying phase is only a filtering method to sort out weaker teams to get a handy number of teams for a 'big public tournament event'.

if france will miss the qualifying because scotland and italy are nr.1 and nr. 2 of the group then this would not automatically mean that france is not competitive. "competitive" is only a wished side aspect/synergy effect to make the tournament more exciting. there is not really a substanial need to do that ...

and: when the germany mens team scored 13:0 against san marino there were also the "same discussions" weather it makes sense that teams like san marino should be allowed to be part of the eurocup-"qualifying process" ...

so i would say "competitive" is usually more a "quality of games/cups" talk not an existential "rules/organize" discussions. this might of course sometimes overlap/flow together ... but it is not the same ...

and for the concrete case: in my eyes i have no problem to let staying san marino as part of europe in such tournaments ...

the rest is trivial. women soccer is not as well developed/spreat as the men soccer world. you simply have not enough teams in the world on the same level of the better teams. its a bit like in the beginning of mens soccer at the beginning of the 19. century. there were often higher wins and only a few good teams. "technically" woman soccer is more modern because they of course dont use methods from the beginning of the 19. century but modern soccer knowledge ...

so i think it is not dramatically if there will be slightly more differences in competitiveness. you cannot expect that women soccer is "suddenly" developed like men soccer. there is a need for compromisses! you cannot let play only 6 teams in a worldcup. that would make the event more boring/uninteresting. this would mean: further development would be more difficult ...

general: the situation today is better as 10 years ago ...

and i think the team competitiveness in the worldcup is ok. some better teams, many on same level. some are weaker. relatively normal situation. and the "worldcup to worldcup" tendency is also ok...