GERMANY vs ARGENTINA [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by greenlion, Sep 10, 2007.

1. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    germany looking awsome. but does anyone think dicicco is giving the argies too much respect. he's calmed down a bit (after all the goals), but what has A. done to warrant any expectation v. a top team?

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    9-0 Nice ball and nice finish.

3. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i'd love to be a fly on the wall watching the u.s. watching this game.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Especially early on, Argentina was getting quite a bit of the possession. Argentina actually had the first shot of the match. Some of Argentina shots have looked nice and would probably be goals against a weaker goalkeeper. Argentina has been punished by their keeper and surgical precision from German flank play along with loose marking in the box.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The US will enjoy seeing the turnovers in the midfield and defense from Germany....

6. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    have to say that while i missed the first few minutes, i've seen nothing from A that looked in any way threatening.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ...and we have the second hat trick of the match. Bad defending and keeping. Good attack by Germany. 10-0

8. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    if that happens, they certainly will. but it hasn't happened here. time will tell, but they look every bit as strong as they did when they destroyed us 4 years ago.

9. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW

Germany is looking like a defending champ playing a rank 29 team- and we know how the womens international talent reallllllly starts to drop outside the top 5 or so teams. Argentina's mistakes are more the reason the score is now 10-0 than something more respectable. Its no surprise that a well polished German squad is having their way with an obviously inferior team.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not smart of Germany to pick up cards...

11. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    exactly right. which brings me back to my original point.

12. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    FYP. :D

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    All credit to Germany for great finishing and set up. 11-0. Off the keeper again. Own goal from a corner.

14. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    holy freakin FiretrUCK. 2 OGs

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    11-0 final. Turf looks bad from rain? 6 cards. Argentina keeper is bad. Germany put on an offensive clinic.

16. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow this post is totally appropriate from the nickname of the poster to the commentary made.

Bookend own goals. Ouch.

With any luck results like this will tap into the Argie's national soccer pride and get the women some more backing in the country to avoid future similar results on the world stage.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Germany looked good against a weak defense and a horrible keeper. The offense was definitely on. Argentina didn't have much possession in the second half since Germany cut down on some of the turnovers in the midfield and on defense. There were quite a few German turnovers. Argentina did get off a few nice shots. Germany's offense was rolling, but they have do have work to do to be up to the level of the team four years ago.

18. TriaktivTLE00

TriaktivTLE00 Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Argentine ladies got OWNED/PWNED by the 2003 grand champions, the German women, plain and simple.

19. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    you think? ;)

20. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11-0? :eek:

This is not what the WWC needs. It was made very apparent by FIFA that they will NOT look to expand WWC11 if current matches were not competitive.

With that said, I hope the US does the same thing tomorrow just to send a very clear message! ;)

21. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW

well group B looks quite a bit more competitive so I doubt we'll see big numbers. We can bet Sweeden will be at least a knock-out round and possibly a final in terms of competitiveness. Cant say much for a ranked 5 Korea team but Im sure they didnt ascend to that level for nothing. Nigeria, even though they rank not far from Argentina, cant be as bad can they? I can see 1-2 goal win over Sweeden and/or Korea and possibly 3-5 on Nigeria but all games will be close. Im thinking every team in the US's group will make it ALOT tougher than Argentina did with Germany.

22. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    good post, book. the us has to keep their focus on the task at hand- winning their group and moving on w/ confidence. this is not about keeping up w/ germany's tallies.

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's vying for the Golden Boot. :)

24. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think Argentina would have been better off if they would have replaced their keeper with a bucket of sand!

25. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    or at least join suit with Smisek and Prinz with a hat trick if not for the final whistle