Germany v Nigeria: Postgame

Discussion in 'Group F' started by UNC4EVER, Aug 9, 2008.

1. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Wow, I am surprised the group F thread is so quiet?

I just watched the Germany-Nigeria game, and I guess the good news is the German squad is not bullet-proof, but the bad news is even when they are having something of an off day they look damn good.

Even when they are having trouble finding their game, the Germans have a patience and a sense of team cohesion that I wish the team USA could also find. When they seem a bit flustered, their passing accuracy and first touch skills still appear pretty sharp.

I thought Smisek was pretty much invisible today, and she doesn't seem to be a big scorer for the number of caps she has tallied? How come Martina Muller isn't with the squad? Her choice? I thought she was very effective in the WC. Laudehr seemed to struggle (though maybe it was because she was beat up?). So I saw some vulnerability in the midfield and a slow start for the attack, but as usual, the defense played like it was on a string, Prinz continues to be the best forward in the women's game, and Angerer just looks better with every outing! I was also surprised by Mittag -- she is like the Stepford sub-- all the best qualities of Kai/Cheney/Arod rolled into one package... Not sure why she didn't start instead of Smisek. Hopefully she is unfit to go 90, cause she is sure a handful!!

I love cheering for my home team (USA), but as a fan of the beautiful game, I gotta say: I will jump at any opportunity to watch these ladies play. Its a pleasure to watch them, and on balance I think the German team of the last several years has been the most aesthetic and effective team in the history of the women's side. Thanks ladies!

P.S. Hope you win the bronze against Canada after we knock you out!!:cool:

2. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Why, thanks doll for your kind words. Naturally Germany will beat the US.
    It's cute of you to suggest otherwise, though!

:)

3. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Remember the middle-ages conundrum: How many angels can dance on the head of a USA striker? We may yet kick your charming Gesaze, gar kein Zweifel...

4. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    We don't count angels. We count goals.

:)

5. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Considering the size of their heads, I'm guessing thousands. But if we don't at least pretend to behave, we're going to be sent to the Rivalry Forum...

On an actual football note, I thought the German defence was unusually sucky in this match. But Angerer has had plenty of experience saving her club team from a sucky defence, so she may well be able to hold things together for a while longer.

6. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Youch!! You have made your prosaic sort of point. The USA will await its metephysical moment... I can see right now I am going to enjoy our dialogue, right up to the moment the forces of poetry allow us to boot you from the tourney... Like I said, I love this German team. Best of luck for the Bronze! :)

7. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    You may very well be right that Germany ends up with Bronze (which seems to be what we traditionally get in the Olympics). However, it will require a less metaphysical and more talented team than the US to kick us to 3rd place. :)

8. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I'm sayin'.... don't mess with me when I'm on a roll....:D !! I still don't know how many angels can dance on the head of a USA striker, but I do know now that at one time or another most of them were Japanese!!! Yo! How about that Japan team?! And don't mess with metephysics!! Oh no, i don't think so!

Fortunately, the German women remain the best squad in the world, so we will (hopefully) see you in the match-up for the gold. Sorry you guys will get the silver, but hey, obviously we are just rockin it...

9. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    So you've upgraded the German team from Bronze to Silver from one post to the next. Go on, just one more... I dare you! :D