Germany Uniforms (3 stars = 3 WC?)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by scrub, Sep 28, 2003.

1. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    I noticed Germany's uniforms have three stars above the crest on the shirt.

Do these stars stand for Germany's three world cups won (although on the men's side)?

Thanks for any info on this.

As an aside, it seems that the US had two stars on their sleeves, which I assume also stand for WC championships they have won.

2. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Yes

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It's kind of weird. USA has two stars on its sleeves, but only on the women's uniform. The WNTs of Germany and Brazil feel it necessary to trumpet their MNT's achievements above their own.

Norway, BTW, has no stars. Neither does Uruguay, for that matter, and they were the first cupwinners!

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Norway women do wear a star.

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    If Germany wins on Sunday, we'll see if their men start wearing four stars.

6. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    The German and Brazilian women are representing their nation, hence the same style, uniforms, attitudes, etc that their MNT display. So I don't see anything wrong with them putting those stars on their jerseys. That's the way it SHOULD be. It's merely a case of sad male ego that the US MNT chooses not to wear those stars. Besides, Olympic medals are celebrated as a combined national achievement too.

And IMO, it was the limited cooperation between MLS and WUSA that seriously hurt the WUSA's chances of survival. We really need to get past this male vs. female stuff if we want the next women's league to last.

7. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many stars on the German jersey?

The German WNT jersey has three stars on it from the championships the men won. Essentially, it's the same shirt as the men.

Question: If the German women win on Sunday, do you think the German men will wear four stars?

8. Deutschland_HSV

Deutschland_HSV New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Hamburg, Germany
    Re: How many stars on the German jersey?

No, definitely not. The only reason the women wear the three stars anyways seems to be that Adidas didn`t design a special jersey for the German Womens National Team.

Do the US men or Chinese men wear a star for their WWC-wins on their jerseys? I`m not sure, but I don`t think, they do.

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    China has never won a WWC. Norway has, and its star is on the sleeve. So are the US women's stars.

I guess it goes to show that the nations bearing stars on their shields (Germany, Brazil) can't see the women succeeding on their own. It will be interesting to see next year if the Jerries have three stars on the men's jersey, one on the women's.

10. Deutschland_HSV

Deutschland_HSV New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Hamburg, Germany
    Neither the Norwegians nor the US men teams seem to wear the womens star.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: How many stars on the German jersey?

I disagree that Adidas simply hasn't designed uniquie uniforms for the ladies. Nike does the Brazilian Ladies' kits and they also sport the Brazilian mens' 5 stars. It's more likely that it's a move to create a bigger awareness and acceptance of the Women's programs in those countries. The Brazilian Federation, like the German, has made a pretty focused effort to raise the profile of the Women's side and probably figured attaching that link to the men's team would add credibility and popularity.

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I believe it was Pele who suggested that if the Brazilian women's team won in USA '99, they should add the fifth star above the crest.

Don't hold me to that though, it was part of a TV piece.

Sachin

13. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil's jersies already have 5 stars ('58, '62, '70, '94, '02)

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    But they didn't have them in '99.

Sachin

15. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    The Jersey of the German womens team

Actually the German womens team jersey is slightly different from the mens shirt. The difference is ever so slight you can hardly notice it.
    it's in the collar.
    The mens team shirt lacks any collar but the womens team shirt has some very short stubby collars that serve absolutely no purpose lol