Germany to win 2006 World Cup?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Korea_Fighting, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    What do German posters here think their chances are of winning the World Cup held in their own backyard???

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'm not German but I'll take my chances...

99%

3. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    How do you take Netherland's chances?

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    1%.

We're not meant to win the WC.

Let's qualify first.

5. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Very modest view. Holland has one of the most quality sides in the World. You need to take cautious yet more aggressive mentality, in my opinion. Like myself.

6. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great Question!! Who will win the next World Cup?? I would love for Holland to win one but If Holland could not win one with Cruff or Van basten or Gullit than I do not know. Man, Holland has and have some of the greatest player but they always come up short.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil has an incredible crop of youngsters coming up.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

8. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002

Portugal had an incredible crop of youngsters in the late 80's/early 90's - be afraid, be......well potential doesn't always equal success.

Yugoslavia had an incredible crop of youngsters in the mid 80's - be afraid, be......you get the picture.

9. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Q: Will Germany win the 2006 World Cup?
    A: No.

They have a huge advantage, but with the close proximity of Germany to other countries, other European countries may get some sort of "home field" advantage.

BTW, I'm not saying the US will win it, but I think they will make a statement again.

Has a team ever won three World Cups in a row? Brazil has a nice shot at it.

10. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Brazil or Germany.

Yes, I'm playing it safe and have possibly guaranteed myself at least a 50% chance of guessing correctly.

:)

11. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    I think it will be Germany or Brazil. Brazil's line-up will be exciting in four years, but I'll miss Roberto Carlos and Rivaldo in 2006.

12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No. Brazil will have to wait until 2010 to do it.

Brazil in 1962 is the only non-European to win the tournament in Europe.

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    No one can predict what'll happen in four years. Of course, the host always has a good showing, but that's the only real sure thing. Who, four years ago, thought France was going to self-destruct last summer? Up until the start of the tournament, everyone dismissed Brazil on account of the 98 Final fiasco. I'm not going to guess, because I, like many people who've posted here already, will be wrong.

14. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    That's not the attitude to take! I'm sure that Holland will get it all sorted out for qualification. An easier group and you'll be almost guaranteed to get in.

15. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Czhech Rep. could give us trouble.

But face it. Holland has been the tournaments best or one of the two or three best a couple of times. But no win.

16. scoonie45

scoonie45 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Georgetown
    Right now, I'd take Germany in four years, but of course Brazil is Brazil. Dark horse? How about England? They've played well in Germany the last few years (see 5-1), and Owen will still just be starting to reach his prime.

17. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, that crop of youngsters got split up when the country did, and some of them did in fact do quite well for themselves - the ones that remained playing for Yugoslavia formed a solid if not spectacular side, and Croatia dazzled in WC '98.

18. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Is Bayern Munich still trying to acquire most of the German squad? The Germans will be even more formidable if they've been playing together daily for years.

19. cjma77

cjma77 New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Gettysburg, PA , USA
    I love Germany's chances, but you can't base your decions on WC'02, we don't know who will still be playing internationaly for anyone let alone for Germany in 2006, if you go to www.dfb.de and check out mannschaft 2006 that gives you an idea, but i think euro 2004 will give the better idea. i think the Dutch will do well, but they have a lot to prove, England has a LOT of great young talent, and may be unstopable in 2006. Let's all remeber 2006 is along way off, go look at rosters from 1998 compared to 2002. Wait till 2004, then let the debate begin.

20. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    1958 in Sweden actually. The 1962 cup was held in Chile.

21. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Me too.

22. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    But that is my point - you never know what is going to happen. England's team at the 58 and 62 World Cups would have been far better had they not lost numerous future stars in the Munich air crash. You never know when injury is going to end or reduce a career, and looking to the future based on potential is pure speculation.

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get the thread back on track, I'll answer the original question.
    Germany should be the definite favorites going in, but hardly prohibitive. I'd rate them:
    Germany 25%
    Brasil 20%
    Argentina 15%
    France 15%
    Italy 5%
    England 5%
    Spain 5%
    the rest 10%.

24. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I will not rule out Argentina. We have a good crop of players coming up. But I do not like Bielsa as our head coach. Finally we got rid of that crop of players that has that chance in 94 -98. Saviola, Aimar, Riquelme, Cambiasso, Romanoly and company have to step it up. When I was a kid My dad once told me that no European Country will ever win a World Cup in the Americas or outside their continent. So far he's right on! I expect a European country to win in Germany. It's just a matter of who.

25. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany are hosts, but I think we are looking at yet another South America vs Europe final and I'm not confident that Germany can make it that far. I just don't see the same amount of potential for Germany as I see for Brazil, Argentina, England, Holland, and Spain.

If I was placing a wager on the World Cup final I think I'd choose Holland and Argentina. 8)