Germany to Host the UEFA Euro 2024

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lehmann is the worst German #1 of ALL TIME.

such a garbage GK, never rated him either.

saj7866 repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the real problem for Wirtz+Musiala is they keep playing with Havertz at CF and that feels to me like a dead end combination. The very very few times we saw Wirtz+Musiala play off Fullkrug they looked much better...........too bad that its rarely played because Havertz is XI every match.

also one can play Musiala as a LW but Wirtz at W is something where you'll never really get the best out of him.

that is why the attack doesn't work as well. And why when Sane came on it looked better because he's more suited at W than Wirtz.

but then Wirtz at AM ain't gonna happen because CAPTAIN Gundo takes that away.

AdiD, BorisG, dips82 and 2 others repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wirtz is being wasted out wide. CAM is his best position.

Why can't Naiglesman start wirtz there, and give Gundo cameos like he did with Gross, Two 34 year olds in a 3 man midfield is over the top in my opinion

rj123 repped this.
  4. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nagelsmann has been pretty bold and straight forward with his squad selection, interview and approaches…hopefully he understands the problem as well and field the team with chances of maximum success

BVBFNM repped this.
  5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #5605 BorisG, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    I think there is to much emphasis on Wirtz and Musiala for the tourney .... The boys come with allot of pressure to perform and to make Germany tourney winners. Would be good if they could be more free to just play...

Adminteley the intensity against Greece in the frst 45 minutes was horrible, second half much better . They have to start against Scotland - all of them to give it their all, try and win every ball. Put their bodies on the line.....only then will Germany have a good tourney.

Germanyfan1993 and Dage repped this.
  6. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Havertz is really good - but if we look at our attcking players
    Wirtz , Gundo, Sane, Havertz , Fulkrug and Musiala - only Fulkrug is built strongley , all other players are nimble . We need some strength in the oppositions box , who can take on the CD. Who can hold the ball , wo can exert some dominance.

The problem with the rest of them, yes they are technical good on the ball, but thats not all we need all the time . I think we have to many at one point on the field - that all do the same.

We need some on like Fulkrug (like Giroud did for the french) ... So now the question is what do we do with the other 5 players
    1. Drop Gundo to the the bench
    2. Start Sane
    3. Play Either Musiala or Wirtz
    4. Let Havertz play behind Fulkrug

Something like this:
    -------------------------Fulkrug-----------------------
    --------------------Havertz---------------------------
    Musiala------------------------------------------Sane
    This offers a wide variety of skills Fukrug with some strenght , Havertz with techncial skills and a good sense of space , Musiala good on the ball (drbbling) and Sane with speed.
    Wirtz Undav and Beier as subbs

7. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did you guys notice against Greece often when Kimmich got the ball he needed like three touches to get the ball under control. Either he doesnt read the pass or the passes came a bit to high for him. That was annoying as that gave the greece team time to close the space

8. BandB

BandB Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Nov 30, 2020
    Another surprisingly is Pascall Gross he’s never put a foot wrong. I won’t surprise if he’s starting vs Scotland. For those who don’t know about him, he’s not just MC can play multi positions even RB
    and if not mistaken he always ranked one in the top 5 for most assists in EPL.

BVBFNM and BorisG repped this.
  9. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #5609 BorisG, Jun 9, 2024
    Very much agreed - he is a huge asset to our team. Against Ukraine he was best player on the field , and made a big impact against Greece.

10. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #5610 BorisG, Jun 9, 2024
    Stats dont lie .....

Where are our goals going to come from? mhhhhhh
    I just really believe Fulkrug needs more playing time, espcially against low block teams.

He can score 5/6 goals this tourney if given enough time.. and thats what we need from a striker

Fulkrug with Havertz on the field can give us enough goals - I would as said maybe not start both Wirtz and Musiala every game - they to young to carry all that pressure , I am sure they can add value to the team, but Fulkrug and Havertz should take the pressure to score goals. They expereinced enough for that presure

upload_2024-6-9_9-48-30.png

Barlach repped this.
  11. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All of Germany's games since 2018 until now
    upload_2024-6-9_11-43-54.png

Big Nations are: Argentina, Brasil, Belgium, England, France, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal and Spain- rest was allocated as smaller .

Most hurtful losses as smaller nations in Qualifiers or Tourneys
    • Mexico 2018 WC
    • South Korea 2018 WC
    • N Mazedonia 2021 Euro Qualifiers
    • Hungary 2022 Nations League
    • Japan 2022 WC
    2023 Friendies losses - who would hve thought must have been the worst year ever
    • Poland
    • Columbia
    • Japan
    • Austria
    • Turkey
    These 10 games account for our 12 losses to smaller nations in the last basically 5.5 years

So far we are unbreaten in 2024 :whistling:

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I feel Nagelsmann deserves a lot of cred for his 2nd half change up - it was clear Germany would score via a break in on the right in the first minutes, and that's what eventually happened pretty quickly

Sane stayed wide, and with his pace, that created a lot of space in the right channel for the other attacking players - but then Sane himself broke though in the channel on a very nice through ball to tee up Havertz

Almost nothing was created on the left in comparison

If Raum is going to play very wide, then you feel Musiala needs to get much more involved in the left channel / half space.

saj7866 and Stanislaw repped this.
  13. AdiD

AdiD Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Has sadly not been that happy with either Musiala or Wirtz for these two games.

Wirtz as arguably Bundesligas best player has had no real impact. Maybe due to his position or that he is more freeflowing in Leverkusen and play is built around him.

Musiala does not seem to thrive at the right with planless dribbles and a little bit of desperation trying to do the difference. Think he has looked really good at occasions playing at the left for Bayern.

Hope I am proven wrong but I think it would be for the best to bench one of them if Nagelsmann insists on playing Gündogan at 10.

saj7866 repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Gegenpressing podcast had a really good summary of where things are at. I found it refreshing to see what journalists and analysts are saying outside of our thread bubble

tldr;

Team's obviously come along way since Flick. They would have lost the Greece game previously.

First half was diabolical but definitely 'friendly' vibes. e.g Rudriger Andrich, Musiala, Kimmich were just terrible with their passing.

Havertz is plan A. He was one of the best performers, including when he dropped back into attacking midfield. Not his fault how terrible the team were in the first 45

Sane is not fit - so it seems like he might be part of a change up with Havertz moving back into gundo's role during games - at least in the group - as Sane's minutes have to be managed. We need to get used to the idea that Nagelsmann will change things up a lot in game - unlike Flick.

Gundo doesn't make sense now Kroos is back. Yes it was a friendly but he seems to have lost a step in his dynamic final 3rd play from his City times (one of the best in europe), and the other strengths of his game Germany don't so much need so much now Kroos is there. He's nearly 34 and he might be done. IMO it's not a coincidence the midfield looked so much better when Gross came on and provided everything that Andrich and Gundo hadn't.

Andrich also looked out of sorts - hopefully that was just a friendly thing

Heinrichs looked way better than Kimmich at right back. This might be one of those things where Nagelsmann needs to make a big call but he probably won't

Ditto Neuer "the elephant in the room"

ShadowX, BorisG, saj7866 and 2 others repped this.
  15. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    So Germany has tricky problem, the 3 captains, and Neuer, are not starter calibre anymore

saj7866 repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - they spent a bit of time talking about this, and it likely reflects that Nagelsmann can't go too far too soon and he hasn't had a lot of time

Reality is he already made some pretty huge changes - especially bringing back Kroos hands the control of the team to him, regardless of whomever is 'captain'

Also he axed Hummels, Goretzka and Kimmich* and Mueller out of the lineup (and Can and Sule). That is pretty huge in terms of personalities.

He may have felt ditching Gundo and Neuer was too much in terms of leadership/experience on the pitch, but I guess at least Gundo might be dropped from the Startelf at this rate

* I also do wonder if that explains why Kimmich is still in the team even though dumped from midfield. He isn't the best right back IMO

** Apparently Mueller can be seen as a kind of playing assistant manager and not purely an onfield leader. It's clear he probably wouldn't even be first choice off the bench, but Nagelsmann seems to trust him as a conduit to the squad.

BVBFNM, saj7866 and Stanislaw repped this.
  17. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree about Kimmich, like he’s had some decent games as a RB this season, but unless there’s a classical forward he can provide quality crosses to (which he hasn’t done much of so far), he’s not really that great. Especially cause a modern fullback needs more speed and dribbling (getting past players) than what Kimmich seems capable of at the moment :unsure:

He’s already 29 so it feels like the next years at Bayern (if he chooses to continue) or somewhere else will be crucial for him :confused:

saj7866 repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He'd make more sense if you wanted to play with an inverted right back who is supporting midfield in possession and e.g. Sane as a genuine winger. He doesn't offer much as an attacking full back IMO, and he isn't a good defender.

saj7866 repped this.
  19. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Naiglesman has had to make some big decisions already. As for Neuer, kimmich, Gundogan, it's like, he's trying to fit round pegs in squared holes.

Hes trying to make sure there's enough experience on the pitch, even though their not exactly performing well

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

This is why I don't get why bringing 4 GK's in the 26 was up for debate, you can always bring an extra training GK. Would have been a waste of a spot.

BVBFNM, saj7866 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  21. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kroos often fell back between the defenders. You definitely need some sort of playmaker upfront. If Havertz plays up top Gündogan is the perfect choice. I think it's wise to not put even more weight on the shoulders of Wirtz/Musiala. Gündogan has the experience, can score, communicate, vision. He needs to sort out some of the fitness issues but that is not impossible. I also think that Musiala and Wirtz are a bit overplayed which is not unusual for their age. Sané on the other hand is not fit and will definitely not start.

BorisG and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I tend to agree with all this. it's why I thought Germany looked better with Gross on the field, because then he was linking the play more between Kroos and the attack.

BVBFNM repped this.
  23. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    I agree with many posters saying that the Wirtz and Musiala combination isn't working. Only one of them should start. I also question Musiala's judgment; he dribbles when he should be passing and sometimes slows down the team's pace. The midfield is not well balanced. The team feels one-dimensional, relying heavily on combination play. We could also use a couple of players that can take shots from distance. There's little to no aerial attempts except during set pieces. Additionally, everyone's first touch seems heavy. To address all these issues, Nagelsmann would need to make 2 to 3 starting changes, which I think is unlikely with no test games left.

BorisG, BVBFNM and Germanyfan1993 repped this.
  24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It’s was good to hear that Voller reminded everyone that they lost the 1st game of the last three tournaments. Mexico - France and Japan

Voller is our talisman- he seems to say the right things to ensure Julian and his team get the right attitude.

we have to win our first game against Scotland!!!!

BVBFNM repped this.
  25. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    New thread please for the start of the tournament,

Dage or the Jitty Slitter please create new thread and pin it

thanks come on it’s our home EM or are we just going to have game threads ? I would say a tourney thread