Germany - Sweden /-- 23 June -- 2nd Group Game

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by White/Blue_since1860, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And play Müller as a false 9?

I don't like that system too much tbh, Müller would be better playing as a support striker to Werner imo, not wide and not as a false 9.

nekkibasara repped this.
  2. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hard to believe that anyone still seriously cares about this nonsense. If they are still beating this dead horse after the bad first game instead of concentrating on the World Cup, they are freaking idiots. I'd bet they rather want to work on winning the trophy.

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They actually want to do that. They are angry possibly not because they dont think Özil or Gündogan did this and they dont doubt their will to perform for the team. But they really hate the circus that evolved and that is negatively effecting the team with constant distractions away from the sport. If Özil had put this discussion to rest like 3 weeks ago everything would be fine

[​IMG]
    https://www.focus.de/sport/fussball...er-nationalmannschaft-spalten_id_9130241.html

4. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We tried Müller as a false 9 in EC2016 and it was a big fail. Werner provides a real goal threat and he ahoulsnt be judged on one game where the whole offense was bad.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

our boy Draxler even when he doesn't do squat he still in projected XI.

6. Connor Hutyler

Connor Hutyler New Member

Werder Bremen
    Germany
    Jun 15, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wouldn't mind that lineup. Lights a fire under Ozil, and Khedira is a lost cause at this point. Bring Goretzka off the bench.

Ger90 repped this.
  7. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    That midfield doesn't make me confident at all. It might look good for offensive purposes but isn't this even more of an imbalance? I'd rather trust someone like Rudy to provide cover than Gündogan. I don't know how good Goretzka would be defensively, but he has at least the legs and seems faster. Özil insteaed of Draxler seems to make more sense as well if a third (central) midfielder isn't used.

Ger90 and nekkibasara repped this.
  8. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gundogan is the last player i would trust to add defensive stability.

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Khedira seems way past his prime and needs to retire from the NT post WC. I think the reason why Low might stick to only 2 midfielders is that we need to score and win vs Sweden. So he might yet again throw out stability to go goal crazy.

incoming, 2-0-5-3!!!!!!!!

now we have to add DM as a position where we need to find capable players on top of fullbacks and strikers post WC.

nekkibasara repped this.
  10. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Drop Draxler for Goretzka or Rudy

11. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I blame Mustafi, when that bumbling fool was present, there were no issues.
    Mustafi present: 2014 WC win, 2016 EC SF, 2017 CC win.

why Mustafi? why did you have to go from a blunder CBs to a blunder CB on overdrive this season?:p

he was our good luck charm.

BorisG repped this.
  13. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/nationalmannschaft/dreier-kette-im-geheimtest-56070580.bild.html

Google translate coming up .....

Does Jogi also trust Mexico's losers against Sweden on Saturday? BILD knows how the secret training was: Jogi tried out a lot of new things! In the practice match, both teams were a mix of Mexico regulars and reserve players.

Team 1: Ter Stegen in goal. Back with Ginter, Boateng, Rüdiger and Hector, before Kroos and Gündogan, offensive Goretzka, Müller, Brandt and Werner.

Team 2: New in goal. Rear Kimmich, Sule, Hummels and Plattenhardt, before Khedira, Rudy, offensive Reus, Ozil, Draxler, Gomez.

Brandt and Rudy wore blue camisole, played in part for both teams. Simulation of the preponderance situation to put pressure on the low-ranking Swedes. Later, Löw played in a team with Khedira, Kroos and Gündogan. Behind a three-way defense. A 3-4-3 against Sweden?

Lessons learned: Ginter in the back right would be the more defensive option to close the right defense.

A three-man midfielder with Gundogan plus Kroos and Khedira would bring more stability and compactness.

► Brandt and Goretzka could bring momentum with their dynamics.

► Reus together with Özil also seems to be a serious option. That means: Jogi is still testing a lot to find the right anti-Sweden blend.

Ger90 repped this.
  14. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Matheus SAYS;

For Germany, the Swedish game is about everything. It has to change a lot compared to the opening match against Mexico. I would make changes both due to weak individual performance and due to tactical considerations.

However, I would take over the basic formation from the first game. While I would have put up differently and put on a real six in the beginning, a line-up with two aft against the low Swedes is just right for me. Sweden plays regardless of the opponent in the 4-4-2 system, they have midfield rather defensive players who are not as aggressive and quickly switch over like the Mexicans.

A problem with the 0: 1 opening defeat was that Toni Kroos was delivered and so missed the impulses from the central office. That's why in my starting squad for the second group game Ilkay Gündogan the next man of Toni Kroos in the control center. Both stand for game flow and intelligence, Gündogan is a second source of ideas. With Gündogan instead of Khedira Loew would bet on the technically stronger variant.

Also in the attacking midfield row I would make changes. Marco Reus has confirmed that he has known for some time to be on the bench in the opening match against Mexico. Loew wanted to build him carefully for the important games. And I have to say: A kick-off game at a World Cup against the strong Mexicans - it is not really more important. It is clear that Reus now has to play. My triple row with him, Müller on half right and Draxler half left would be very variable. Reus and Müller in particular can permanently change positions, Reus from the headquarters can be a real free spirit.

Müller and Draxler do not play for me on the outer track, but in the half-field. There, they can simply bring out their strengths better. There would be no room for Mesut Özil. In the storm, I would also make a change: For the sprint strong Timo Werner there are hardly any rooms against the deeply staggered Swedes, he can not use his speed so well. That's why the physically stronger Mario Gomez, who is a true penalty-taker, would be my choice for the game in Sochi.

In defense, there is only one change: The recovered Hector replaced Plattenhardt.

One thing is certain: Personnel changes alone are not enough for a turnaround. All ten outfield players have not shown what they expect against Mexico. Everyone has to question themselves, so that the preliminary round K.o. can be prevented.

Ger90 repped this.
  15. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we will see this formation:

----------------------Neuer
    ---Kimmich----Boateng--Hummels---Hector
    ---------Khedira--Gundogan--Kroos
    ---------Mueller-----Gomez----Reus

but then i prefer seeing this

--------------------------Neuer
    ----Kimmich----Boateng----Hummels----Hector
    -----Brandt-----Gundogan---Kroos--------Reus
    -----------------------Goretkza
    ------------------------Gomez

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Here is my preferred 4-3-3

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 09.06.13.png

Ger90, Lewisfromuk and Karl-Heinz Riedle repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was expecting big fireworks when I clicked on that link - this story seems to have been exaggerated around the media today into the players called for Ozil to be dropped - but of course its more the ex-players who are doing a superb job of undermining the team.

Not sure what we were expecting after such a bad loss - this kind of meeting would be normal in other elite sides after a shock loss.

Having watched some highlights again what struck me most was how the team was utterly broken as a unit defensively.

Positioning a mess, no pressing, no coordination.

In offence things looked better apart from the lack of ball security - there was actually good occupation of the half spaces especially once Reus came on

The team does appear to have big limitations chasing the game

Loew must get his tactics right vs Sweden to rebuild confidence.

If we continue to see such sloppy coordination then Germany will not go far.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agree but I guess they are thinking the Swedish Midfield 2 won't push on

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What did Matheus see vs Mexico that indicated Drax will offer anything at all?

20. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where did u do this? Kicker?

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's what worries me as well.

A fundamental failing vs a hard running team was fielding Kroos (28), Ozil (29) Khedira (31), Mueller (28) as four out of the 5 midfielders

The only legs in the team are Drax and Kimmich

Now in come Reus (29) and Gundo (28)

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team: