Germany: Special World Cup Memories

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by White/Blue_since1860, May 29, 2014.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My first Germany WC memory:

Some afternoon in summer 1998. World Cup, Round of 16:
    There are a lot WC memories but I probably start with my first ever WC experience. I dont know why but somehow I had missed all of the group stage. But I did know the WC was going on since every boy in the neighborhood had this little France 98 ball that was part of McDonalds happy meals. Anyway, I remember myself coming home from school when my oncle told me Germany would play Mexico later and if I did my homework up until then I could watch it too. It was a hot day and my oncle already had his 4th Augustiner when the game started.

Nationalmannschaft had not their best game and they seemed a bit unlucky with the few chances they got. Every kid knew players like Klinsmann, Köpke, Matthäus or Bierhoff from his goals two years before. My favorite player at that time was Häßler. I say that cause in the 2nd half the game turned into Mexico's favor after they had scored on the counter. Not undeserved I think. They even had the chance to make it 2:0 but only hit the post. I remember my oncle yelling at the tv when Ziege or Klinsmann had lost the ball. Time was running out and all we saw was desperate stuff from Germany. With 70 minutes played my oncle begged for Vogts to sub Kirsten in for the "useless Klinsmann" and suddenly it seemed as Vogts was about to sub that same Ulf Kirsten in. But he subbed him in... for Hässler - my favorite player! Kirsten immedeately ran into Mexico's box obviously causing some distraction. One minute later Klinsmann stumbled in the 1:1 equaliser. Needless to say we were jumping for joy. As I said it was a hot day and the balcony door was open and I think at an instant all the people in street knew Germany must have scored. Equaliser! Everything was okay and it would have been only fair to both teams if this game had seen extra time or penalties. But ten minutes later of all Kirsten played a superb cross into to box for Bierhoff to make it even 2-1. While we were celebrating the goal you could hear our neighbours outside cheering as loud as we did. My oncle: "I told you so about Kirsten!" After the game he said "in a few days we probably play against Croatia - a game that you cant really lose." The rest is history.

Share with us your special WC memory!

Epitome990, dips82, Dage and 1 other person repped this.
  2. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
  3. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
  4. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The first tournament I remember watching was the 2002 World Cup. I remember waking up super early in the morning to catch the games. I remember the opening game against Saudi Arabia, we won 8-0 I think? It was a blowout. That was also the game I became a big Klose fan. I remember the next game against Ireland too. I was making my dad wait a few more extra minutes before taking me to school because I wanted to see the game go full time. I remember going to school pissed as hell because of Robbie Keane scoring in stoppage time. Of course I also remember the final against Brazil. I cried at the end of the game, I couldn't believe it.

2006 I was in Germany. Didn't get tickets to any games, but I watched all of the Germany games at the 'halle' with a bunch of others. I went with my cousins and uncle. That was the tournament I became a big Podolski fan. I remember going to the public viewing for the Argentina game. I bit the crap out of my nails for that one. Felt so relieved when Klose put in that header. I got worried because it felt like we had scored one or two goals in the first 10-15 minutes of every game that tournament, but it wasn't going in in that game. Then the PK shootout. Remember Kahn going over to Lehmann to wish him luck. I also remember being the first one to scream when Lehmann saved the final PK, because I knew the shot was saved the second it was kicked. And then the Grosso goal against us... I remember my mom screaming at the TV announcer to stfu about penalty kicks because the game wasn't over and then we got scored on. I never watched the replay of that goal again and never will. I turned off the TV and just stared at the blank screen for a good 10 minutes. Those were probably my most memorable memories.

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One of my favorite memories as well. Argentina 2006.

It was the time before public viewing got popular(or even a term). A local multiplex had all their halls opened for free and all of them were full when we arrived. Full of Argentinians, Germans and fans from basically everywhere. When the game against just had started, the projector in our hall got broke and the whole crowd ran to the next hall that was now totally overcrowded. We had to stand watching the game. It seemed like the other fans were pro Argentina the more the game progressed. Argentina scores and they were celebrating like they already had the cup. But things turned around and I think the whole multiplex was cheering up the moment Kahn talked to Lehmann. Yeah, Lehman saved twice. When he saved the second I think I could have kept on yelling my head off for hours. After the game we went to a Biergarten and celebrated the win with beer after beer. The hangover next morning was even worse when I heard about Frings....

goindownsouth repped this.
  6. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Opening goal... 2006 World cup

Also gotta add the 4-0 against maradona. They were talking trash and all that before the game then we destroyed them :D

7. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How did we get to the semis with that team?? :p

Now compare that talent to the talent in Germany now and you wonder how the F can't we get to a final with this team?!

8. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For me it is simple... Waking up at zero-dark-thirty to watch Miro Klose burst onto the world scene in the 2002 WM. Up until that time, I really had not paid much attention (either on the German or Slovak sides of the family) to our national teams. Now? A vastly different story.

9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Today's victory is now up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  10. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One of my sweetest WC memories is the Germany (West) vs Yugoslavia game from Italia 90.

I was around 10 at the time and residing in Germany then, and the general mood wasn't quite optimistic. At Euro88, Germany had to face the ignominy of a home loss to Holland of all teams. The qualifying campaign wasn't that stellar either. Yugoslavia on the other hand had won the U 18 ( or was it 21?) WC and had done well in the 88 Olympics. It was their golden generation.

Mathaus scored 2 goals, including what I consider one of the best goals I've seen in a WC in a 4-1 rout. And from that point there was no looking back for the German team.

11. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kind of a bittersweet world cup memory was our semi-final loss to $**taly

Was my first world cup supporting Germany. We were on our home soil, out of nowhere became a strong team and we were soooo hyped to make it the final. I remember that game so damn well, I thought we were going to win it! Best 0-0 game I've ever seen. We came close to scoring so many times but then.... a daggers into my pulmonary valve and then the aaortic valve... ugh

And then we all cried together... but I guess responded with some cracking goals against portugal in the *make up* place game.

Looking back, that team was pretty damn exciting and did really well for the lineup we had

12. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Italy was slop all the way to the semis too that WC..

Goes to show the "best" overall team doesn't always win the WC. Teams like Italy and Greece can win with things going their way

Minttunator repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    May I ask you how come? I mean 2006 our squad were, as you said, basically nobodys. Let this, lets say "breaking the mold" new style of playing, change your view of Germany? Cause that's what they say ever since.

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to do it...

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007