Germany - South Korea I-- 27 June --I 3rd Group Game

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by White/Blue_since1860, Jun 24, 2018.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Put a facemask on it and let him play if he can. We need him.
    Goretzka's too raw. I'd rather see Gündoğan.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's interesting given what we heard about the "bling bling gang', if the vaunted 2014 multi-kulti has failed in squad

Case by case, decisions can all be justified on football grounds, but in helicopter view it looks concerning

Sane: Couldn't fit with squad culture despite break out season at elite side
    Can: played in CL final but left at home
    Ozil: questionable motivations, "uncomfortable in shirt"
    Gundo: questionable loyalty
    Boateng: Bling bling brand boy with 600 pairs of shoes
    Khedira - bling bling but Low loyalitst

Note I am not saying Low is being racist but that his squad seems to have become divided in an unhealthy way - and especially the bitter media attacks on the players seem to single out the bling bling group

At the time I did not question the Sane decision much as he had never looked good for germany - but in hindsight it is surely concerning that such a talent can't fit with the culture of the team. Is he a difficult person? or has the culture become hard to fit in with?

I wonder if the retirements of Lahm, Schweini, Poldi and Merte have been more significant than we think?

Minttunator and nekkibasara repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hongistein on the hot mess Kroos plucked from the fire

Kroos' comments seem particular barbed re Basler and co

A rift in the squad. Too many old players. Wrong tactics. Wrong attitude. The spartan team camp in Moscow. Everyone would have blamed everyone and everything for Germany's worst World Cup in 80 years but, worst of all, not everybody would have really cared all that much.

A strange sense of un-involvement and disengagement at home has accompanied the team to Russia, made up of many different factors such as unease about the political motives of the host nation, terribly overblown marketing speak by the German FA and many players coming across as one-man brand ambassadors, more interested to collect social media followers than to connect with their public.

On top of all that, the undead army of "proper football men" from the 1980s and 1990s -- the Stefan Effenbergs and Mario Baslers -- who have always distrusted Low's cultured ways and the current generation of quiet, technical professionals, felt encouraged by the bad start to snipe at the team from sidelines.

Some of the attacks on Mesut Ozil -- "he seems to feel unhappy in the German FA shirt," Lothar Matthäus told Bild -- carried dark political undertones, too. For all those reasons, the climate surrounding the national team has not been this cold since Jürgen Klinsmann and his assistant Low had rung in a revolution in playing style and built a multi-cultural blend of good old Germanic values and migratory-flavoured flair.

"I had the feeling that relatively many people in Germany would have been happy if he had got knocked out today," Kroos said after the match. "But we won't make it that easy for them."

He explained that those words were directed at a press "that doesn't help" and at the pundits back home, not the supporters in the streets and in front of the televisions.

But in truth, those delineations have long blurred. The country -- in football and beyond -- has been gripped by divisive forces, feeding on fear. It doesn't feel like a coincidence that Angela Merkel, whose chancellorship began one year before the 2006 World Cup romance, appears on the brink this summer -- just as football chancellor Low was on Saturday, with a few seconds to go.​

Rosebud and Minttunator repped this.
  4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If it's racial in nature, and racial minority players are having difficulty, how do you explain Rüdiger being put in place of Mats instead of Süle? No one would've even questioned it if Süle, the established Bayern man, was chosen over Antonio, surely?

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Please read my post more carefully.

I am not saying Low is picking the team based on racial factors.

I am saying the squad seems to be divided that way and he has to deal with it.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #31 The Jitty Slitter, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Of course this could all be wildly exaggerated by SportBild - but in which case the efforts to portray such a racial split with Sane's omission as a trigger point is pure evil.

Basically the scapegoating of all the brown players plus "wigger" Drax

so which is it?

Kroos means we don't get the goss for some more weeks :D

7. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. albert_mk87

albert_mk87 Member+

Aug 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    right now this should be the team with Brandt and Reus changing position IMO should be Reus left and Brandt right.

I hope for once we score first and an early goal it will be very different to lead 1-0 and play our game then chase a result while the other team plays with the whole squad in their box.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Speilverlangerung took a very positive view on the control Rudy brought to the game by having a dedicated 6

Rough translation

They took the view that Germany's tail off after a fast start was the problems we have seen before in terms of poor spacing and players crowding forward in a line.

https://spielverlagerung.de/2018/06/24/deutschland-schweden-wm/

Minttunator and nekkibasara repped this.
  10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, but I guess in that case does it make sense to speculate in that manner? Unless we were in that locker room we don't know. As you yourself state, there are football reasons for every decision made, and the media reporting can be agenda-driven. If you want to say that the presence of Podolski, Lahm, and Bastian in 2014 kept the locker room intact and stopped these flare-ups, fine, but I don't think a team that has been united in mulit-cultural ideals since 2010 would break that easily and it would've splintered the team before this point if that were the case. The likes of Boateng and Özil have been with the team for some time, and Ilklay too. Granted the Erdoğan thing created issues, but I tend to feel it's more smoke than fire.

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I did not anticipate ever saying this, but Rudy is key to this squad. Without him the calculus to achieving balance and consistent control in midfield becomes much more difficult.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - that all could be true

But then in which case, the media's efforts to create the perception are quite disgusting.

Especially the attacks on Boateng - focussing often on his personal lifestyle

Rosebud and Raumdeuter repped this.
  13. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A lot of these players have grown up together, won the u21 championship and then the World Cup. Many have friends of different ethnicities and nationalities in and outside of football. Do people really believe after all these years that suddenly racism has become a problem?

The team, including Gundogan, who has been at centre of the recent storm, fought hard together against Sweden and celebrated together at the end. That was an encouraging sign. Sure Ozil didn't look too happy but he always has strange body language. His post match photos and tweets were all very positive.

Bild, like most tabloids will try and make controversies out of anything they can to sell papers/subscriptions. People with certain agendas will in turn use this to help their causes and that's what then blows things out of all proportion.

The best thing the team can do is to continue to show heart and fight like they did on Saturday, as that will render all the other noise meaningless. Actions speak louder then words.

Rosebud, arthur d and Lewisfromuk repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #39 The Jitty Slitter, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    I don't think so within the team.

i think in the media it has become a problem - hence the interesting parallels between the decline of Merkel and Low and the nasty attacks on certain players

One interesting point, was that with Ozil out of the team, the focus of the English media coverage was to trash Boateng - including about his shoe collection.

And of course Sterling gets the same treatment over there, as does Pogba.

As for poor body language

Rosebud, Minttunator and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Marco Reus with a dead frog

Fussballer repped this.
  16. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That is highly unlikely. Only Olympic and Asian Games medals (Any, Gold -- respectively) grant exemption from military service. Only time an exemption was granted on basis of FIFA World Cup performance was in 2002 (and that was based on discretion, not some rules-based policy AFAIK).

Military service will not likely impact the motivation behind Korean players.

That is quite mind boggling. Many (including myself) were frustrated at the inability of the refs to control the game in the Korea-Sweden match. Swedish players not getting carded for blatant tactical fouls.

17. Lewisfromuk

Lewisfromuk Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    May 15, 2018
    I think your negative comment about Ozil does not contribute anything to the German national team other than hate

Rosebud, Hayaka, arthur d and 2 others repped this.
  18. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree totally, these personal attacks on ozil could possibly hinder future generations of german turks or other ethnic groups wanting to represent Germany

Rosebud repped this.
  19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As a non German you will surely be able to point out the article of the German criminal code that forbids expressing hate. Not that said post includes any form of hate in the first place.

Hint: Özil has been called dead frog all week.

20. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It’s really easy. If you report a twitter post in Germany, it runs you down a rabbit hole of code that applies to the infraction you’re reporting. It seems too legalese to me and I always end up cancelling as I’m still not sure about legal blowback for it.

21. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wonder if Özil was not of Turkish/foreign descent, if he would get so much criticism for his perceived poor attitude/laziness/body language?

It seems to me that the Erdogan incident has given some people the perfect excuse to bash certain players who they have never liked because of their ethnic background.

Ultimately Özil has been a major contributor to a fantastic era for the NT, inc winning the biggest trophy in football. He deserves more repect imo.

Rosebud, arthur d, Minttunator and 4 others repped this.
  22. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lets Get back to Football peoples.......
    So with Boatengs Suspension.....I am sure Sule Should get a chance...

-------------------------------------Neuer---------------------------------
    -Kimmich----------------Sule---------------Hummels------------Hector
    -------------------Rudy---------------------------------------kroos---------------
    -Brandt----------------------------Muller-----------------------------Reus---
    --------------------------------------Werner-------------------------------------
    Would Like Goretzka to get a chance as well.........

As an option, especially if Rudy is not fit.
    -----------------------------------Neuer---------------------------
    Kimmich------------Sule------------------Hummels--------hector
    ---------------Gundo--------------------------------------Kroos-------
    -----------------------------------Goretska-----------------------------
    --------------Muller---------------------------------------Reus----------
    -------------------------------------Werner-----------------------------

Subs Brandt, Gomez and Draxler

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The twitter community standards are not the German criminal code

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can't see Rudy playing again during the WC.

25. Lewisfromuk

Lewisfromuk Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    May 15, 2018
    I can't see why Rudige not start, he played quite ok apart from a few moments of bad passes