Germany has already lost

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LebenslangGruenWeiss, Mar 22, 2006.

1. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    the match vs. the USA tonight.

Why? In Germany everything is about the media. If the BILD Zeitung wants Sammer as the sporting director because he is under contract with the Springer Verlag instead of an "unknown" hockey coach, they manage to get through with that.

Now the media proclaims that Germany plays the USA reserves (it's also called B-team or C-team in some tabloids). Now if we beat them 2:1 tonight which is sort of likely given the players situations with their clubs and the amount of time the team is available for the nationalcoaching staff it will be like another loss for the media. If we tie them or even lose they will want Klinsmanns head.

Even if we beat them let's say 3-0 all those "experts" will say of course it went that way since they played some "college-kids-from-a-third-world-soccer-country"! But actually a result like this would be just as unlikely if we played VfR Neumünster tonight.

(posted that thread on the germany board also)

2. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Considering that the US will only field 3 players who are likely starters on our full strength team, why is it wrong for the German media to publish what is factually accurate?

I was impressed when reading my local paper yesterday that they had the wherewithall to recognise that this is not our strongest team.

(although I do agree with your broader point about Bild being after Klinsmann's head)

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I doubt we'll beat them, let alone 3-0...

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For him, "we" is Germany.

My prediction before Landon was hurt was 3-0 or 4-1 Germany. Still sounds about right, but it'll be an ugly 3-0. We'll look amateurish and only ultra-defensive tactics will save us from a 6-1 type drubbing.

5. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Doh.

And I somewhat agree. They beat us 4-2 last time before the WC, when we had a full team, I wonder how they'll play against a less than stellar US team and after a loss to Italy....

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just impressed that a foreign publication realizes this isn't our full strength team.

Most of the time, they think anything we send is our best.

7. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    The Germans know us better than any other European country. Since Bruce took over, I think we've played them more than any other team that doesn't reside in CONCACAF...