Germany coach Tina Theune-Meyer and Norway's Aage Steen are retiring.

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by defensewins, Jun 6, 2005.

1. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
  2. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I hate to respond to my own post, but I was wondering how people felt about these coaching changes given that the world cup is not far away. If this has been discussed elsewhere, I would appreciate a link. Seems like the US fans were concerned about US soccer taking its time on naming a new coach, do Norway and Germany's fans feel the same? Any chance Pia will toss in her hat or have a shot at either job? Personally as a US fan I am happy to see Theune-Meyer depart.

3. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    CAn't say that I'm too happy seeing TTM depart but maybe some fresh impact is also a good thing.
    ABout the timing, I would believe that it's the best time at least for a european team. After the WC there were the Olympics, now the EUROS, so afterwards you have 2 years to form a new team.
    Both Germany and Norway have a new coach already (or a contract signed), so I can't see Sundhage playing a role.

4. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Thanks!
    I am only happy to see her go from a USA perspective. Thought she was a fine coach. I am so out of it on this norway germany coach thing... Who are the new head coaches if you don't mind educating me, and what's the buzz on them? (again, if there's a thread somewhere else on this, I'd be obliged if you'd direct to it, obviously I need to check this place out more often).

5. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Norways new Coach is in place and coaching the Euro team

6. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Norway's new coach Bjarne Berntsen took over from Åge Steen on January first of this year and kept Trond Nordsteien as assistant coach.
    I guess some norwegian fans can give a better answer about his resume, but I believe he has some caps for Norway, worked as a assistant coach and as coach for a men's league team. As his time with the team was yet limited before the Euros, I guess we'll see his full approach with the team for the next World Cup.
    For Germany, coach Tina Theune-Meyer will get another, yet unnamed position in the German Football Federation and assistant Coach Silvia Neid (former national team captain) will take over as head coach, with Maren Meinert becoming assistant coach.

7. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    thanks woody-you rock.