German Youth

Discussion in 'Germany' started by soccertis, Oct 14, 2003.

1. soccertis

soccertis New Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Niagara Falls, Ont
    Hey,

My name is Dana Heimbecker, I am 18 years old I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I am going to Berlin, Germany in Febuary on a exchange program for 3 months.

I want to pursue a soccer career, I was wondering if you guys had any advice to try out for some professinal clubs, or any youth squads that I could get ahold of.

P.S I am learning some german now, but I have a german studen living with me if you want to speak german with me i can get him to translate it lol.

2. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    If you are 18 you should look for a senior team cause youth soccer is over in the age of 19.
    The best women soccer club in the area of berlin is Turbine Potsdam, the second best club in germany and has some german internationals like Ariane Hingst in their squad.
    They also have a second league team.
    Potsdam is just a few kilometers away from berlin and easy to reach.

Their e-mail ardess is info@ffc-turbine.de

In berlin are also some second league clubs.
    These are:
    Union Berlin
    Hertha Zehlendorf
    TennisBorussia Berlin (violavictrix@gmx.net)

3. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Soccerfreak already told a lot of what I know.

The Regionalliga clubs (2nd division) are fighting to qualify for 2.Bundesliga, which will be introduced next season. It's very well possible that some clubs are urgently looking for improvements at the time you're coming to Germany to reach this aim.

One correction to what Soccerfreak said: according to my knowledge, Hertha Zehlendorf is not playing in Regionalliga anymore.

Union Berlin is having a male pro team, which means that there is hardly any fan interest in their women's team - if that's an aspect you want to consider. This seems to look better with Tennis Borussia, but they want to become independent from the club and open a club especially for women - don't know how their situation will look like in February.

Turbine Potsdam for sure is most professional club of them all. From the sporting perspective they are the best choice, but it might be tough to make their roster because of that (they got a soccer school with plenty of young talents). I'd contact them and send them your cv to check if they are interested. Do you already know the part of the town you'll live in? Berlin got an excellent public transport system, but the city is large and it can take a while until you are in Potsdam... I'd consider that as well before recognising that it is too much stress to play for them.

Last aspect: don't know how it is in the Northeast, but here it is usual that there is no youth squad over the age of 16. In other words: with 18 you will have to play for a senior's team unless it's different in this region...

4. soccertis

soccertis New Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Niagara Falls, Ont
    Male

Sorry, I forgot to inform you

I am a male, I usually go by the name Dana John, due to people thinking Dana is just a girls name.

sorry for the mis inconvience, could you now inform me about the proper information lol, thanks for your time.

Dana John Heimbecker

5. soccertis

soccertis New Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Niagara Falls, Ont
    Mitte-Region

->Mitte, Prenzlauer Berg und Weissenseee are the regions that I will be living in.

->Coubertin-Gymnasium, is a sports school that i will be going too.

Also do you recommend anything, like how much I would have to pay? and what really are german youth strengths? anything that will be helpful for me?

My strengths are quickness, toughness on the ball and my first touch is what seperates me from other players.

6. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start watching German soccer now.!! FSW Canada should be showing it. Learn players, clubs, stadiums, etc... The more you know about German Football the more they will be impressed.
    Learn the big clubs first, then learn the different regional leagues. Background knowledge can take you a long way.

You should start by contacting an agent, convince him you are a prospect. Even if it doesn't work out, he could point you in the right direction. You will probably have to settle with the third or fourth division level which are all semi-pro and regional, but the scouting level in Germany is excellent and there will be the opportunity to move up if you deserve it.

Playing wise- Germans are very technical and tactical. Knoowing how to keep the ball moving without slowing the play is important. Possession skills are a must. The speed of play is not as high as people will tell you, it shouldn't be a problem since North american Football shows no patience so pace of the game shouldn't be a problem. Must be a good passer. Remember that German players are taught the fundamentals at an early age and will be ahead of you. Show confidence, don't be shy on the ball, but be a good sport and they will love you.

I've played professionally in Turkey doing these things when I was a couple of years out of highschool. It can be done, but you must be willing to blend in and be yourself at the same time.

7. soccertis

soccertis New Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Niagara Falls, Ont
    Wow thank you very much that helped me out alot

8. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Being male makes the matter more complicated ;)

I never know about the deadlines, but if you're 18 now you should be able to play youth soccer (A-Jugend) in Germany. Makes more sense to play there as not many 18 year olds get a chance on competitive senior level.

There are three clubs in Berlin playing A-Junioren-Bundesliga. This are Tennis-Borussia, Hertha BSC and Tasmania Berlin. First two are playing for the top, latter ones might play against relegation. There will be plenty of other clubs in lower division though.

That's basically all I can tell you as I'm not aware with men's youth level.