German Youth Soccer Question

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Dead Run, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Dead Run

Dead Run New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Portland
    How is German youth soccer organized? Are there regional leagues? When do the best players move from their local club to a top tier club?

Who are the "gurus" of german soccer? Any books you'd recommend?

Any comments about the German soccer system as a whole would be welcome.

Can anyone help me with links to some German youth clubs online line? I have loved German soccer since my youth when I watched "Soccer made in Germany" and want to go to the WC and to visit some clubs to see how they do things.

Thanks!

2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sorry, I won't be eble to help you, but I have a question as well:
    There were a few young soccerplayers on here going for trial to Germany, but I haven't heart anything on the outcome. why so? does anyone know more?

3. pepper96

pepper96 New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    many, many question.

mmmmhhh...

regional leagues, more or less, there are several leagues, you know every village town has it own soccer club and a youth, I think, you can play where you want, but sometimes young players are also picked up. example: I live in a small village near Hannover, so they play regional, because they are not so good, and if there is a good players he is going to enlist from a club playing in a high league, for example the Lower Saxony league, you could also go directly to Hannover 96 youth (they are really good) and play there.

the youth system is good, but i think it is sometimes difficult to get a chance to play in the Bundesliga, (especially the big clubs), because there are many real good players comming from foreign countries, wich are also very expensive.

http://www.hannover96-nlz.de/
    http://www.hannover96.de/CDA/nachwuchsarbeit,767,0,,de.html

Lower Saxony:
    http://www.nfv.de/
    (you can also find there many information, but its all german)

4. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Well there are youth championships, I don't really know how they are organized though. I think there is no nationwide league or anything like that and I'm also pretty sure that the champion is determined by playoffs. When I played soccer in my youth (on a very, very low level admittedly) we only had local tournaments and stuff like that, but no real league.

Of course it's the dream of any young player to go to a youth division of a big club, where they can develop to their max. There are youth days regularly where young talants can try out and of course every Bundesliga site has scouts who carefully watch a lot of youth games. I think pretty much every Bundesliga club has it's own football residential school/football college (I don't know how to translate "Fußballinternat"), so that their talents have all the necessary conditions in order to develop.

I don't know any books about German youth football (especially not in English), but I've heard a lot of good things about this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/095401345X/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-7261072-1906852

This book is about the history of German football and gives you many insights.

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Pyramid system, pretty similar to the adult leagues.

The highest division in the A-Youth (U 19 or U 18, I think) pyramid is the
    Bundesliga (3 groups, North/North-East, West and South), in the B- and C-Youth pyramids it's the Regionalliga (plays in 5 groups I think). After the regular season there is a play-off for the German championship for A- and B-youth.

There aren't many specific youth clubs in Germany. Almost every soccer club has a youth section. Just go to the website of any pro club and look for a link to "Jugend" or "Nachwuchs".

If you are interested in the history of German soccer (and if you can read German) Hardy Grüne is da man. He has written a ton of books, just type in his name at amazon.de.

6. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    If by that you mean how football is organized in Germany (adults), I can help you :)

• 1. Bundesliga (three relegations)
    • 2. Bundesliga (three promotions, four relegations)
    • Regional Liga (split in two leagues, north and south)
    • Oberliga (split in nine leagues, five in the north and four in the south)
    • Verbandsliga (Each Oberliga has two to five Verbandsligas below)

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    And for the completists among us:

- Landesliga
    - Bezirksliga
    - Bezirksklasse
    - Kreisliga
    - Kreisklasse

There are some regional variations. If there are more than 10 levels in a region, you usually have something like this:
    - Kreisliga A
    - Kreisliga B
    - Kreisliga C
    - etc.

8. Dead Run

Dead Run New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Portland
    Pepper96, Alex K, Benztown, Thanks for your thoughtful replies and your consideration. They are very helpful and much appreciated!

If anyone else has anything they'd like to share or add, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case).

9. Osnator

Osnator Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Osnabrück, Germany
    I sometimes do watch youth football since the youth of VFL Osnabruck managed to reach the A-Junior-Bundesliga North and I have to say it`s quite impressive. The game usually is fast, fair, on an advanced technical level and fun to watch. And you can see the kids developing from match to match, that`s great.

By the way, "our" youth just got screwed (0:5) by Hannover 96 youth :rolleyes: .

10. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've been in touch with the young Cdn (European16) who was asking about the Regional League. His trial with Fortuna Dusseldorf is coming up shortly.

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wellcome to Bigsoccer
    and of course Hannover won, what did you expect? ;-)

12. European16

European16 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Koln

hey.

ya i just had 3 traing sessions with A jugen team. I did ok, but iam not happy with how i did. i think that i could do a lot better. the coach from the first team told me to come back on mondays practice. he invited me back so i guess its a good thing.

the game is really fast compared o north american soccer, its a good experience, but i would like to get one more trial in for a team before i leave back to canada