Review: German Players Performance Thread 2014/15

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Jul 19, 2014.

1. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #26 "Eisenfuß" Eilts, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    @Kirsten19:
    Di Santo is currently injured and Nils Petersen is in chance-wasting mode. So it is time for Kobylanski or Selke to step up. Personally I prefer Kobylanski because he has a better ball control, but Selkes way to play reminds me of Mario Gomez (and I can't stand how Gomez plays, but that is not important).

2. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Selke will be further integrated and have a larger role in the rotation. So far his development has been handled accordingly. He's just completed one season in the Regional Liga, and promoted promptly each step of the way. This will be a big season for him competing more regularly against professional opponents. But expectations need to be made relative to what stage he is at, considering the jump towards the Bundesliga level. Remember, Lasogga is several years ahead of Selke in age and development. Having depth at each position is important. Especially with injuries with form. Hamburg made the mistake last season of having only one (injury prone) striker and almost got relegated.

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Andre Schürrle's goal today

[​IMG]

chewz repped this.
  4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's a great run from Schürrle and a fantastic pass by Fabregas. Andre has improved since his move to Chelsea IMO; its subtle, but he seems to read the game better.

5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Indeed, nice instinct on a well executed team play. Schürrle's specialty are those smart forward runs and smooth one-touch finishes. Like the goal he scored against Algeria. Having a play maker like Fabregas this season will be a boost in creating more scoring chances.

6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Toni Kroos' performance in first leg of the Spanish Super Cup:

60/66 Passes
    91% Pass Accuracy
    95 Touches
    4 Shots

7. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I try to watch Chelsea games, just to see how Schürrle performs. I understand that Andre is receiving more praise nowadays, but his ability and value continues to be downplayed in comparison to the likes of Hazard. Looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Borussia Mönchengladbach win first leg of the Europa League playoff qualification 3-2 vs FK Sarajevo. Strong showing by Andre Hahn with a goal and assist.

9. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've been excited to watch this game for days now. I waited for the game to start at 3:30am, and then my stream failed on me. Disappointing, unlike Hahn's performance.

10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    I find Wiziwig.tv & firstrows.eu to be reliable whenever I'm streaming matches online.

red & wite army repped this.
  11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Julian Schieber scored 2 goals for Hertha Berlin in their season opener. Promising beginning after a positive summer preparation and preseason from him. Several things he can still work on, but I think Hertha is a good system where he can reinvent himself and be productive.

12. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Terrible match today by Durm. People here like to claim that he's superior to Schmelzer and love to ignore his mistakes. His missing left foot is a very obvious problem too. Today we've seen again why Schmelzer is first choice at left back when he isn't injured. Sadly, he's been injured again and again all of last season and never really reached his best form, which is not world class, of course, but still better than Durm.

Kirsten19 repped this.
  13. Baumeister

Baumeister Member

Aug 23, 2014
    That's some very positive news to read. I'm glad things are working out for Julian now. It's excellent for him to have found a club that he contribute to, and Berlin is certainly a lovely city for any player to live in...or so I have heard.

Epitome990 repped this.
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Karim Bellarabi scores the fastest goal in Bundesliga history at just 9 seconds into the game. Also assisted on Kiessling's goal at the end. Bellarabi looked good throughout the preseason and is a player that is really thriving in new coach Roger Schmidt's style of play

15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    A refreshing change of scenery was what he really needed to rejuvenate his career. His confidence is regained and looks a lot more comfortable playing. Hertha have reinvested the money they received in the Lasogga and Ramos sales quite well. They now have good depth in creative attacking players to work with Schieber.

16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Watching the replay, just noticed Durm can cross with his left foot, nice cross from him on the left but Leverkusen played good defense and cleared it

17. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, I've noticed it as well. But in that situation he was cornered and crossing with his left foot was the only remaining option. Otherwise the ball would have gone out of play for a goal kick. Generally, he doesn't cross with his left foot and always tries to move the ball onto his right foot. I'm really against wrong footed full backs because I don't believe they can ever achieve their full potential both defensively and offensively. Durm would play better on the right side. The same was true for Lahm who completely refuses to play left back these days.

18. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Geis made some mistakes, but still too good for Mainz.

A perfect holding midfielder

19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Christoph Kramer was the difference maker for Gladbach today. Delivered several incisive passes to create chances for his teammates after he entered the game. Then scored the equalizing goal in the final frame.

20. Baumeister

Baumeister Member

Aug 23, 2014
    I've never been able to see much of Kramer play. I've only read about his hype leading up to the WC. Then I saw him play at the WC, and he looked like an overwhelmed little lamb. Of course, I completely understand that this can happen to a very talented player, so I look forward to actually watching more of him and his club team this season.

21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I get the sense that you and I will not see eye-to-eye on this issue, but I have seen the first twenty minutes of the match (will watch the rest maybe later), and I see Durm is doing very poorly; he gets caught in positional purgatory too often. But I will still take Durm over Schmelzer no questions asked on the basis of consistently averaged performance. Schmelzer at his best is a very good energy and glue guy, I see much more potential in Durm. He has better technique, a better eye for when to make runs and when to play conservative, and overall just a few more tools in his arsenal offensively. His left foot is problematic, but I think he does a good job in compensating overall.

22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    (Unrelated Leverkusen related rant coming on)
    MOAR BRANDT! Schmidt got on my nerves when he started some no-namer (Jadjev?) over Brandt. Julian was one of Leverkusen's few bright spots closing the season out, and I was looking forward to seeing him take steps forward, really cement himself and maybe make a couple of senior NT cameos if we really wanted to be ambitious; he looks like a real dribbler, willing to take risks with the ball from the wings, which is one thing I think the NT lacks in its offensive play, someone willing and able to try to dribble an opposing player.

23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Jedvaj plays as a defender but I agree with the rest. With the depth brought in at Leverkusen, we'll likely be seeing Brandt on a more rotation basis in a higher competitive setting. But I think he can also grow and learn a lot from Schmidt, a coach who developed talented wing attackers like Kevin Kampl and Sadio Mane at Salzburg.

24. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You should watch the last 5 minutes for the real shocker. Can't remember anything like it from Schmelzer.

25. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Good moves on transfer deadline day. Philipp Wollscheid to Mainz on a season loan. Receives more regular match practice. A new challenge as he will be asked to take on a leadership role with his experience, as Mainz need a strong defensive anchor.

Lewis Holtby to Hamburg on a season loan with purchase option. Great opportunity for Holtby to revamp his game. His creative ability also a huge boost to their midfield. Also see him working well with Lasogga.

MatthausSammer repped this.