Review: German player 2013-2014 season performance thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #101 Epitome990, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    André Schürrle's 2 goals today against Stoke. Numbers on the day: completed 94% of his passes, 5 shots, 3 tackles won, & 47 touches. Overall, today earns his a huge boost on Mourinho's depth charts as a starter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1879863-analysing-andre-schurrles-performance-vs-stoke-city

Lewis Holtby had another strong game starting for the Spurs today. Great source of stability and creativity in the central midfield with series of nice passes.

2. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why does Holtby never get a call up from Loew??????????????

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because firstly, he's hardly set the EPL on fire since arriving at Tottenham and will probably be benched once Eriksen finds his footing, secondly, we're stacked in both positions he plays (AM and CM) and don't need him, thirdly, he's simply not good enough to merit any sleep lost by Löw in failing to call him up, and fourthly, he doesn't bring anything new to the table that the others don't. Should've picked England if he planned on a healthy and long international career.

red & wite army and BorisG repped this.
  4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He shouldn't be competing directly with Eriksen. Holtby is very creative, yes but he could play a Kroos-like role if AVB actually realizes that.

Epitome990 repped this.
  5. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Because he's a midfielder and we have plenty.

6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    André Schürrle VS Marco Reus at LW.........really tough choice imo. I think Loew leans towards Schürrle for now

I really hope Podolski wont make the roster or else Draxler wont secure a place for the WC 23-men squad.

21 out of 23 players are guarantee going to Brazil:

GK) Neuer, Adler, Weidenfeller

DF) Lahm, Mertesacker, Howedes, Hummels, Jerome Boateng, Schmelzer

MF) Thomas Mueller, Goetze, Kroos, Oezil, Schürrle, Reus, Schweinsteiger, Gundogan, Lars Bender

FW) Klose, Gomez, Kruse

So 2 spots left for:

A fullback (Jansen, Jantschke, Grosskreutz)
    Khedira
    Sven Bender
    Draxler
    Podolski
    Sidney Sam
    A surprise callup (Volland, Timo Werner, Lasogga)

Looking at the list, pretty sure Loew will only bring either Draxler, Podolski or Sam to Brazil

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schürrle vs Reus is no contest in favor of Reus. I trust Löw to acknowledge as much at the end of the day.

P to the Wee repped this.
  8. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know about Kruse coming. I think Löw may ultimately opt for a Götze false 9 in the starting 11, so Gomez and Klose behind him will do. So of your list take out Kruse, add Podolski and Draxler and Jansen and I think we have our team. Could also see maybe Khedira instead of Jansen. Didn't we bring Bender in at the Euros as a fullback?

9. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Why would Loew bring 4 LW in Reus, Draxler, Podolski n Schurrle in his system??

We need a LB as Schmelzer's backup. Jansen is an option, actually Durm who is also Schmelzer's backup in Dortmund has some potential too. Jantschke from Gladbach is someone who can really backup Lahm n will provide the team with solid defense

Under such form, Its impossible that Kruse wont be included. Klsoe isnt reliable n gomez is a bad fit. 3 strikers in the roster is a safer bet

10. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Draxler and Reus can both play on the right and if he does opt for Götze false 9, Müller will need a backup on that side.

11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Schurrle can play on the right too, not sure about Draxler. I don think we need to bring in 8 AMs (Goetze, Reus, Mueller, Kroos, Schuerrle, Draxler, Podolski, Oezil)......If u want a legity backup for Mueller, we'll be taking 7

If we take 8 AMs, that means we will be particularly thin at FB n at DM/CM.

At this form, Kruse cant be dropped

12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #112 Epitome990, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Stunning goal by Lewis Holtby today in the Spurs EL match against Anzhi. Controls the cross with his first touch, then flicks the ball while still in the air straight into the top corner. Quite impressive form he's in right now.

13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  14. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Sam will secure the trip, he is a great supersub for Müller and we are thin in RW. Draxler is not ready for WC as a team member. I'd say Sam and Grosskreutz will make it out of your list (to fill those two open spots) and Volland will be picked because one of Klose/Gomez will not travel.

15. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Here's my wish list for right now and some thoughts:

GK: Neuer (Adler, Weidenfeller)

Defenders: Lahm (Großkreutz), Boateng (Höwedes), (Hummels/Mertesacker), (Schmelzer/Jansen)

DM: (Schweinsteiger/Gündogan/Kroos/Sven Bender)

OF: (Müller/Götze/Özil/Reus/Draxler/Schürrle)

S: (Lasogga/Kruse) (these two for up front are obviously wishful thinking, there's no way in hell this is happening)

There are a number of players who are currently unfit or recuperating and in top form I think they would go, but I cannot see any of them reaching that form in time, even if matchfit. This includes Khedira (IMO MVP for the German team in 2012 and my choice for captain), Badstuber, Klose, Gomez. At the same time, I cannot imagine Löw not taking Gomez, Klose and Podolski, although they are currently outclassed by others in their position.

Goalkeepers: I think Löw pretty much has his mind made up, but Adler will have to work on his performance, otherwise Löw may change his mind and go for Leno or ter Stegen in a surprise move (Adler did not feature among the first 11 of Bundesliga goalkeepers in the midseason-rankings of Kicker magazine, they're anti-HSV, but that was actually quite a statement).

Defenders: I think Großkreutz should definitely go as backup for Lahm, he did very well for Piczcek in Dortmund and he is very versatile and brings a huge fighting spirit to the table (his goal against Marseille may take him a long way). I think the central backs are settled, but the left side is still undecided and Schmelzer never was that convincing and always considered the weak spot in the entire team. Most people had to (grudgingly) admit, that Jansen did a very decent job over the last six months. If he can keep his form I am thinking and hoping that Jansen may even start (wishful thinking from a HSV fan). If Schmelzer and Jansen don't manage to convince, Durm may indeed be an option.

Defensive Midfield: The defensive midfield is also pretty much spoken for, if anyhwere near full form, Schweinsteiger and Gündogan are clearly up for the task, with Kroos as a more offensive option as box-to-box player (even though this never worked out so well in the past, I think he's much better used as a backup for Özil, but please never again together with Özil). If any of these guys are unfit or get injured, Lars Bender should be the first option.

Offensive Midfield: Nothing to add, but as stated above I don't see Löw leaving Poldi at home and fear that Draxler may not make it this time. It's also quite possible that one of these guys will be injured when the World Cup rolls around, which may solve the problem in a different way.

Strikers: Again, I don't see Klose and Gomez staying home (and a big part of me wants to see Klose score those two more goals and take the all-time world cup scoring record from Ronaldo), but it would be fair to leave both of them home unless they manage to work miracles over the next five months. If Löw were fair (and depending on the development) he will take Lassoga, Volland, Sam, Kruse and Kießling (HaHa, like that's gonna happen) to the first training camp and there decide on the best two of these to take along.

It should be noted that Löw has always taken along an "Odonkor" (surprise nominee) for every tournament, just to show everybody else that the door is always open. I see the Odonkor for 2014 being two out of the five strikers I just mentioned. Who knows. I think Durm and Lars Bender will definitely go along to the first training camp, as well as perhaps Knoche and Werner.

16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #116 Kirsten19, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Durm? He is a project in my opinion, can hardly imagine he plays for the NT yet. Upside is there for sure, but Schmelzer is going to start at LB for another 3-4 years so I don't see Durm's chance yet. Jansen did pretty well as a backup LB, offers some experience as well. So I don't see Durm's chance unless he moves to another club and secure a regular starting spot

I like what Lasogga can offer too, he offers something different to our current attackers. He is someone who can really finish inside the box and offers physicality n back-to-the-goal while not hurting our overall system as Lasogga has good build-up game, mobility n good fundamental techniques for a striker of his size. Lasogga is the only one in the national pool who can score in verious ways: a real predator inside the six yard box, great long shots, volleys n headers. We simply do not have the same type in the roster, not even Klose(nowadays..) n Gomez(no build-up game/long shots)

Kruse, on the other hand, offers something exactly the same as Mueller/Reus...I know he plays well so far. But I don't think he is really needed as his attributes is too similar to our other attacking midfielders.

My team:

GK) Neuer, Weidenfeller, ter Stegen(more upside as a 3rd keeper, very impressive young keeper anyway)

DF) Lahm(still need him at defense, he at MF will screw up the balance of this team), Schmelzer, Jansen, Mertesacker, Hummels, Howedes, Boateng

MF) Lars Bender, Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Gundogan, Khedira, Oezil, Thomas Mueller, Goetze, Reus, Schuerrle, Draxler

FW) Lasogga, Klose

Backup:

GK) Adler

DF) Grosskreutz, Westermann, Wollscheid

MF) Sven Bender, Sam, Podolski, Neustadter

FW) Kruse, Volland, Gomez

17. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    There is still Götze for the right side - because of this I do not see Sam travelling if everybody stays healthy. I am not sure he can replicate his Hinrunde again - he has not been consistent in the recent years.

And Sam is more a left foot on the right drawing to the inside. I do not think that Löw wants to have both sides like this.

Müller stays outside or plays the second striker when somebody else takes his side. That is different to the left side.

18. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    But Sam offers something neither Gotze or Muller does, the direct route to goal. He is a good dribbler with a low center of gravity and plays direct. Additionally he has a very good shot, especially from just outside the box, something that neither Gotze nor Muller can bring to the table.

19. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes, but you already have this on the left side. The speed dribbler that draws to the inside. I do not think that Löw wants the right side to mirror the left - that is why he never really brought another option for Müller or took him as the a nine in the matches.

On the left side you have the right footed winger with the left footed full back combo - on the right side you have the second striker that can play a normal winger and switches between holding his right side and going to the inside.

And I am a little sceptical about Sam. The first nine matches of the Bundesliga in a more counter system that Leverkusen plays he was very well and heavily scored - the next matches there was only one assist, then he was injured. In the Champions League he had one goal in a 4:0 - that is all.

He has to show that he can be consistent - and that he can do it on the big floor, too.

20. Neutral2

Neutral2 Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The 13/14 season stats of the offensive players(sorry if i mistake some players for offensive players) in our roster. All competitions included. (Source transfermarkt.de)

Reus(Germany, Bundesliga) - 23goals/23assists - 3480minutes played - 76minutes/scorer
    Müller(Germany, Bundesliga) - 26goals/15assists - 3570minutes played - 87minutes/scorer
    Podolski(Germany, Premiere League) 12goals/5assists - 1587minutes played - 93minutes/scorer
    Götze(Germany, Bundesliga) - 15goals/13assists -2806minutes played - 100minutes/scorer
    Volland(Germany, Bundesliga) - 12goals/9assists - 3233minutes played - 154minutes/scorer
    Özil(Germany, Premier League) - 7goals/14assists - 3355minutes played - 160minutes/scorer
    Klose(Germany, Serie A) - 8goals/5assists - 2136minutes played - 164minutes/scorer
    Schürrle(Germany, Premiere League) - 9goals/3assists - 2067minutes played - 172minutes/scorer
    Draxler(Germany, Bundesliga) - 6goals/10assists - 3090minutes played - 193minutes/scorer

MatthausSammer repped this.
  21. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada