German NT - World Cup 2014 - Pre tournament and squad selection

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was waiting along with every other Bayern fan for Mueller to turn it around during the Real CL matches but it never happened. I expect as little from him in the WM.

That said, Volland will never be the Raumdeuter that Mueller is. He's too conventional for my tastes.

2. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Prefer Jansen than Schmelzer though. Schmelzer is just THAT bad

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Based on what?

You're showing irrational bias here. Volland is very good and doesn't deserve that tag at 21 yet. Not with how amazing he has performed over the last two seasons. He's undoubtedly been on of the best players in the league already. I would rate his ceiling the same as Draxler's or Meyer's or even Goretzka's. He certainly deserves the call up and has qualities Müller doesn't. Comparison shouldn't even be made in my opinion.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Schmelzer gets cut in favor of Durm. Jansen's more conservative with his positioning defensively so at least I can trust him to minimize how much of a liability he is. Schmelzer not so much. And Durm, while he has inconsistencies and negligible experience, shows flashes of being a very good, intelligent fullback.

5. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I think that's fair of any of the Bayern players. But you never know.

Disagree. I think Volland has many of the same skills that Mueller has, and several he doesn't. Not saying they are identical or one better than the other. I have seen Volland play for several years and he is entirely capable of impressing.

I do think he plays better possession than Mueller. He is physically stronger and more "solid" than Mueller, while Muelller is slightly taller.

Remember in 2010 very few expected much, if anything from Mueller...and look what happened. ;)

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

If I was him, I'd resign for this match or tell the Bundestrainer to be injured. After all he isn't a laughing stock, is he? Zieler getting nominated instead of him after this season ... lol that's the joke of the year. But well, Barcelona should be more exciting for him than a tournament where Germany won't be progressing far, anyway.

Same for Max Kruse. He's the 4th best player of the BL this season together with guys like Müller, Mandzukic and Ramos ...

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/scorer/1-bundesliga/2013-14/scorer-der-saison.html

... but well, guys like Meier, Goretzka and Volland obviously have more credit. Anyway, I'm not really sad to have a fit Kruse for the BMG training start.

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kruse and ter Stegen are disappointing omissions for sure.

I think they will get their time after Löw though.

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #133 Borussia, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Concerning which aspect(s)? But how I mentioned above, I think it's good for my club that Kruse won't travel to South America.

Have you followed Kruse during the last couple of weeks? Yes, he had a shape slump towards the end of the Vorrunde and start of the Rückrunde ... but has been one of the best BL players since many weeks.

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's what you sacrifice when you take scrubs like Podolski, unfortunately. Good talent like Kruse gets missed out on.

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Volland can play/start from right and left and he is more unpredictable which I think edged him out. He was also more consistent this season than Kruse but Kruse's best spells better than Volland.

I would have liked both and eliminate Podolski but I think it came down to either one and it's probably more ideal to bring a wildcard like Volland to a tournament that has a decent amount of experienced players.

11. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    He'll be a professional and play. Why shouldn't he. You aren't just given a role, you have to fight for it. Unless he wants to never play for Germany again he'll take the call up, play well and make the case to be in the Euros in 2016. Doing well at Barca will help that argument too.

goindownsouth repped this.
  12. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Can Loew still bring in strikers as replacement? Like Gomez or Lasogga?

13. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I think he can name players as reserves in case those he picks going to Brazil have an injury or something, but I think they have to come from this roster. I don't recall the exact rules around WM roster replacements this year, but if memory serves once a roster is named I don't think you can add to it unless something bizarre occurs.

14. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Wrong drink:
    [​IMG]

15. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Weak squad selection by Loew. He will once more fail at the WC with Germany. :(

16. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Ok...besides Boateng, Meatsacker, Jansen, etc., who are the weak spots you see?

17. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean apart from one or two players who would you have picked.. and seriously we need a mix of experience and current form and I think the team is ok if you look at that.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  18. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    We usually don't have trouble scoring so that probably won't be a problem in the WC. The weak spots are at LB, DM and probably CB. Other problems - poor set-piece defending , the high defensive line and individual mistakes because the backline is often left exposed.

19. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kruse only has more goals than Volland because of 4 penalties and those are not relevant to evaluate his qualities as a striker. Kruse has only 8 goals from the run of play. Volland played on the wing most of the season and he still scored 10 goals. Normally it would even be 12 but 2 goals were wrongfully disallowed (ball crossed the line against Nürnberg, Volland clearly wasn't offside in the infamous match against Leverkusen). Volland is only 21 but he is already a better striker than Kruse at 26.

timh19 repped this.
  20. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    ...and at Hoffenheim no less. :)

21. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hear you guys about LB, DM and CB..my question though is who has better overall options then us, and when I mean overall options I mean ... RB..CB..CB..LB.......DM.....DM
    I mean Merte, Boateng and Hummels are playing for top clubs and quite successfully...
    RB we have the world best.
    LB Sure a problem but even using Schmelzer, Bender, GK or Durm.. they not totally horrible are they.
    DM.. I mean Kroos, Schweinie, Bender, Khedira... many NT teams would love to have players like that on their team.
    So what I am asking if you look at these positions as a collective, what teams have better players in all those positions then us. I am sure its only a couple or few teams ????????

------------------------Neuer------------------------------------------------------
    Lahm----------Merte-----------Boa/Hummels--------Schmelzer/GK/Bender
    --------Schweinie/Khedira.....Bender/Kroos.......................................
    Please put up a team that has better players on all these positions
    Italy?Spain?Brasil?Argentina?England?Holland?

22. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kruse might get his chance when Podolski finally gets the boot...which admittedly should have been four years ago.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  23. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Well, that's a good question. It would appear beyond Lahm and Hummels there are too many questions marks. Frankly, I'd rather give the younger guys a chance at defense and build on that for 2016 than roll the dice with Boateng or Meatsacker. Simply not impressed by their lack of give-a-shit attitude. They always seem to be one shiny object away of a game-changing patzer.

24. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why is Hummels exempt, out of curiosity?

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Totally irrelevant if other teams don't have individual talent. Sometimes too much talent is also a problem because what matters if what the system/philosophy is and who can carry that out the best via placement alongside one another.

For example, Kroos and Schweinsteiger can be two best CM in world. Together they won't function. Lahm can be best RB in world but he could be better used in midfield, etc.