German NT - Euro 2016 - Pre -Tournament and Squad Selection

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Apr 7, 2016.

?

Who should be captain of NT if Schweinsteiger wont be fit?

1. Khedira

2. Hummels

3. Muller

4. Neuer

5. Boateng

6. Oezil

7. Other

8. Podolski

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He can't play two positions at the same time though.

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we play like vs Italy 5-3-2 hes the right wingback, if we play 4-2-3-1 or like hes the center DM replacement for Schweini. If Schweini's fit he'll be the RB. thats easy.

3. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    Can is the future but not RB. The few times he played there for the NT he looked terrible.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hate the idea of Can at RB; he's terrible there, I agree with @Jordan Khamra. Maybe in midfield, but given that Khedira is a proven performer for the NT, I wouldn't put Can there either as a starter.

P to the Wee repped this.
  5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we all agree Can's performances at RB have been shitty. It is just that I think that wingback would be a totally different setup and he has improved so much under Klopp that he could play a Höwedes at RB anytime now.

6. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    Can really cannot play right back. He just doesn't have the instincts or the positioning discipline to thrive in that role. And if you compare with what we are used to (Lahm) the drop seems even steeper. Can is a good young player with a bright future but his upbringing his almost English -- very box to box, kick and rush, with hustle and a bit of culture. His role is in midfield as understudy to Khedira and if he continues his development I can see him as a starter within the next two years.

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about Ginter?

8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    what do u guys think about this roster??

GK) Neuer, Leno, Trapp

RV) Lars Bender, Ginter, (Bellerabi)
    CB) Boateng, Hummels, Mustafi, Rudiger
    LV) Hector, Schmelzer

ZM) Kroos, Emre Can, Khedira, (Lars Bender)
    RM) Mueller, Bellerabi, Leroy Sane
    OM) Oezil, Goetze
    LM) Reus, Draxler

CF) Mario Gomez, Andre Hahn

-------------------Neuer
    --Bender--Boateng--Hummels--Hector
    -------------Emre Can--Kroos
    ----Mueller------Oezil-----------Reus
    -------------------Gomez

9. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    Can really cannot play right back. He just doesn't have the instincts or the positioning discipline to thrive in that role. And if you compare with what we are used to (Lahm) the drop seems even steeper. Can is a good young player with a bright future but his upbringing his almost English -- very box to box, kick and rush, with hustle and a bit of culture. His role is in midfield as understudy to Khedira and if he continues his development I can see him as a starter within the next two years.
    Ginter offers much of the same problems as Can. Especially if he played in a system where you have Hector on the other side. Neither player really offers a significant attacking option from those positions. Ginter is a good player, quite technical and with good passing but he really is made for the center and that is where is future lies. Hector is a fairly one-dimensional left-back who can attack well on the counter but struggle to make any headway when the opposition is defending deep. He just doesn't possess the technical skill for it.

Honestly Germany's options at full-back are very limited. The best full back is probably Marcel Schmelzer and he is really nothing more than a good top-division left back whose physical gifts (running, stamina) make up for his lack of game intelligence. And I doubt Loew will pick him.

Instead, he will probably go for the 'shittier Schmelzer' Erik Durm.

10. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ohhh man not sure anymore..... really big pity about Gundogan.....
    Wonder if Howedes will get called up. Hope Draxler/Boateng will be fit in time and in form. Just not as confident anymore about our chances..... to many injuries, to many people with out playing time lately.... Lahm/Klose have not been replaced properly.... Schweinie/Khedira not either.....

If you look at the team above it was just not what it was in 2014.....and the depth of a team is what counts not the first 11 , we need a strong 15-16 players.

We did with out Reus in 2014, so we could do with out Gundogan....
    It will all depend on our defence if they can come together , and then some individuals like Draxler, Reus, Muller maybe Goetze will they find good form .....
    I recon we are not favorites anymore ... France, Belgium and Spain should be stronger!

11. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When i work , through the Euro Predictions , it seems we could meet Belgium in the 1/4 France in the 1/2 and if so then Spain/Italy/England in the final....
    So I recon if we lucky we will make the semis at most!

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gundo was a major loss. But with that being said, we do have some options at CM. A Kroos-Khedira double-pivot IMO doesn't work that well, but its serviceable. We could see whether Schweini has one last tournament in him and resurrect the fairly effective Kroos-Schweinsteiger-Khedira three man midfield that did good work in 2014. Or we could try actually putting Can in his actual damn position for once and have two athletic runners ahead of Kroos. As a last resort, calling up Dahoud and thrusting him into duty may not be a terrible idea.

13. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    I like the idea of Dahoud more than Weigl, because I think he brings a skill-set that is similar to Gundogan and that Germany sometimes miss from midfield i.e a player who is good at dribbling in small spaces and can move the play vertically. Dahoud is a better dribbler than all Basti, Kroos and Khedira and his energy will definitely add a lot to the team.

14. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    I like the idea of Dahoud more than Weigl, because I think he brings a skill-set that is similar to Gundogan and that Germany sometimes miss from midfield i.e a player who is good at dribbling in small spaces and can move the play vertically. Dahoud is a better dribbler than all of Basti, Kroos and Khedira and his energy will definitely add a lot to the team.

I am still quite concerned about midfield depth: Schweinsteiger is injured, Khedira tore a calf muscle and like the World Cup we basically have one fit starting CM and with no Lahm to provide backup. Kramer is a good utility player but wont cut it and Lars is just returning from injury while Sven has played CB the whole season. Despite having so much quality in midfield, Germany can struggle.

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The trouble with Dahoud is he's super young and inexperienced. Its easy to forget that he has just one whole season of first-division football under his belt with zero callups. Making him a starter would be putting a lot on his shoulders.

16. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    He would definitely not be a starter, more like a joker off the bench in games we might need him. Another player who could have been an alternative is Goretzka. I really like his languid, head up style, but too many injuries have also affected his growth.

It is really astonishing how badly injuries affect Germany. I think injury afflictions in Germany are significantly above the mean for most teams of their size and this definitely has something to do with training methods, recovery etc. I am actually trying to do a basic desk survey on this to build this hypothesis, but it is insanely frustrating.

17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This tournament has kind of caught us flat-footed in a transition state, unfortunately. Schweinsteiger still isn't phased out entirely while the future of our midfield like Weigl, Dahoud, Can, and Kimmich have yet to be integrated into the setup. Gundo was supposed to be the point man for a transition away from Schweinsteiger, and lessening our dependence on a potential Kroos and Khedira midfield pairing, but that didn't happen.

18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interesting why there are so many injuries in german camp... mostly Bundesliga Players....

19. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First time we all realize that maybe we just not good enough for this tournament.

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you say that?

21. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess with all the injuries and we havent yet transitioned over into the next generation. You yourself said so.
    Anyway do you think we are favorites to win it? I had more confidence in 2010-2014 , in those 4 years ,then I do now.

22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we have the requisite talent to win it. I just think we lack a bit of chemistry and balance with our midfield in transition. It'll depend on the setup for me whether we're still favorites. If Loew sets up with a double pivot of Kroos-Khedira, I have little faith in that setup. If Loew sets up with a three-man midfield pairing Kroos-Khedira with either Can or Schweinsteiger, I have a bit more faith in that setup.

BorisG repped this.
  23. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed......
    Upfront we ok!
    Defense Loew will hopefully find a solution like he did in 2014
    And DM roles ... yeah we do have some options, so yes maybe not all that bleak!

24. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    A fully fit/in form Schweinsteiger would worry your (strongest) opponents a lot more than facing a midfield consisting of Can, Kroos and Khedira.

Can isn't the greatest reader of the game (it isn't awful but could definitely improve when he gains more experience) ... too often his relatively weaker positioning sense leaves the back 4 unguarded ... he struggles when defensive discipline is required (seems as if he gets bored when he can't drive forward/has a nonchalant attitude/switches off when he isn't directly involved) ... despite exhibiting plenty of grinta, he lacks fingerspitzengefühl (not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but a knife nonetheless) ... he doesn't have the wide orientation of a 6 or a 10 (vision) ... he isn't a remarkable passer of the ball nor does he have a reputation for setting the tempo of a match ... etc.

Can is more box-to-box in nature and would work best alongside a defensive minded midfielder ... if you prefer a double pivot, you still need a fully fit/in form Schweinsteiger (in big games). Instead of Can, is there another youngster that you would trust? E.g. Weigl-Gundogan could have worked well and you have options to replace the latter.

25. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany