Review: German National Team News & Discussion Thread - WC 2014 & Beyond

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jul 13, 2014.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ignoring the various times he and I actually disagreed on stuff and typed simultaneously.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And playing 3-4 centrebacks!

3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He's on twitter

Minttunator repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed.

Also one of the things that really changed between Germany of 2012 and Germany of 2014 was the team was much more powerful in midfield

The concern this time around has to be the defence which has been bad

Really gutted for Gundo - I think he would have been exactly the right guy to play CM

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hoewedes' defence at LB is thoroughly overrated after the fact IMO. He didn't do anything that Schmelzer or Hector couldn't do. Boateng's defence at RB was cancelled out by Loew having to play a limited defender in Mertesacker. I remember the hand-wringing at defence in qualifying and friendlies pre-WC. I led the charge on the idea that Germany's defence was awful and we were going to get knocked out because of that. And then the defence tightened dramatically during the actual tournament. I felt similarly about our friendlies pre-EURO-2012; the defence also tightened during the actual tournament then as well, despite our getting knocked out.

Honestly, I doubt Loew actually gives a crap about defence in friendlies and qualifiers; he seems to focused on offence and possession/ball-retention much more there. Defence is for the pre-tournament training drills, it'd seem. I'm done trying to glean insight about our defence through qualifiers and friendlies. It seems a hopeless endeavor.

Rosebud and BorisG repped this.
  6. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would say a back 4 of Hector, Hummels, Boateng, Weiser is actually pretty decent, no weaker then most other major contenders. Yes the fb's aren't world class, but they're solid enough and there are actually very few world class fb's around anywhere atm.

The key for me would be playing 2 proper fb's, who are used to playing there every week for their club.

7. wallstreet123456

Nov 2, 2005
    NYC

Thought this was great, sorry if it was posted already.

The Jitty Slitter and dips82 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To the average eye..Hahn might not seem much of an upgrade to the players we currently have in our squad on that drawing board.But ill go out on a limb here and say he has something extremely valuable that none of the players on the NE posses currently ( except kroos) ...well on a good day a healthy Bastian may still have it to.He has those old school qualities that can change games in an instant.He absolutely deserves to at least get battle tested during friendlies....too bad Jogi has no sense of smell for those qualities.Its painful:mad::mad::mad::mad::speechless:

10. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hilarious

11. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Itl be suicidal if loew pairs both kroos and khedira as the holding midfielders as neither are mobile at all