German National Team News & Discussion Thread - Post WC 2010

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ★ ☆ ★, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Merte is the best in the air however, but he can't defend high because of his pace.

2. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mertesacker in good condition is definitely better than Friedrich and Huth. He is by far the best in the air and has good positioning. Additionally he is above average in 1on1 situations and rarely fouls.

Friedrich has been even worse than Mertesacker this season, which actually was quite hard to "achieve". Haven´t seen much of Huth lately, but what he showed for the German NT was shocking.

For the future Höwedes and Hummels have to start! I guess this is clear to all of us. But Mertesacker has to be taken into consideration for the 3rd CB spot along with Boateng.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Huth has had an outstanding season.

4. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe true. He hasn´t been good for Germany. And he is slow and at times lethargic. But, if he had a good season then he should be the one battling out the 3rd spot as a CB with Mertesacker, as Boatengs season wasn´t overwhelming and he was used as a left or right defender in the majority of cases.

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He had a few mediocre matches with Germany in 2005. He has developed a lot since then. He is a key reason why Stoke has had the season they have had today.

He'd be a solid back up for the NT.

6. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I don't think so. Huth is more or less an English footballer, not a German player. He looks solid in the EPL (that's what people told me, I have to admit I haven't seen a single Stoke game), but that's what he was educated for: To be a huge rock standing at their own box, defend it against crosses, and boot the ball away. I don't want any quasi-English player in our team, their game isn't cultured enough to fit in. If he were that good that we should adjust our defensive game to his style... but we don't need a back up who doesn't really fit in.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He is a lot more than that...not to mention his ability to move forward and score goals as well - something that is not the easiest when you play for Stoke City.

As far as the cultured part...Prem defenders are defending against some of the best forwards and wingers in the world.

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    That's right... but do you remember the English defense in South Africa? I don't want any player who was educated like these guys in my team. Give me Hummels, Höwedes, Boateng, whoever.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That whole NT was in shambles that summer. England, as far as I am concerned, is the most overrated NT in the world.

The question is, Can Huth defend? Yes, and he's been pretty damn good at it.

10. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I don't agree. My question is, does Huth fit into the German defense/team? I don't think so.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think he does...why not?

Well, seeing as how you stated that you have not watched a single Stoke City match, we'll just agree to disagree. ;)

12. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even though I think you're a bit harsh on Huth (considering his progress in the last 5 years) there is a bit of truth to that. Then again, neither Mertesacker or Westermann are "cultured" defenders either and Löw seems to love them.

13. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany