Review: German Legacy of the Past

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Feb 2, 2020.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Because he never won a major international trophy he was forever marked as a nearly man.

Ger90 and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  2. PierreLittbarski

1. FC Köln
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Was unlucky finishing runner-up in the most attempts. In 2002, Bayer Leverkusen finished 2nd in the Bundesliga, runner-ups in both the DFB and UCL (eliminated by THAT Zidane goal). That summer, we lost the World Cup to Brazil. To be fair the Nt sqaud in 2002 squad was mediocre except for Kahn, Ballack, Klose and maybe Schneider,Lehmann.

BorisG and Ger90 repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2002 WC was just hilarious after being trashed 5-1 by England in WCQ and needing to beat Ukraine in playoff.......EVERYONE wrote off Germany.

end result a mediocre Germany reaches 2002 WC final while England Golden Gen go out in QF.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mediocre Germany>>>>>>>>>England Golden Gen.:cool:

curious does Germany beat Brazil if Ballack wasn't suspended for final? Thoughts? Ballack was a huge and key figure for dfb.

fun fact Ballack is reason why FIFA made it so that afterwards no one could miss WC final due to yellow accumulation.

BorisG and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  4. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I frankly don't know why the English media loves to brag about that 5-1 win, after all it was a FRIENDLY match, meaning it was totally inconsequential. The 1966 World Cup Final remains England's only meaningful victory over Germany.

I would also like to expand on the subject and ask why the English media is so obsessed with building up the rivalry between the English and German NTs, because AFAIK said rivalry exists solely in the minds of the English media, and apart from the aforementioned World Cup Final, Germany has a pretty solid competitive record Vs England. If the Germans are losing sleep over anyone it's the Italians.

Fortunately this is solely an English media phenomenon, because English fans themselves have expressed a rather positive view of the German NT.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I stand corrected. Still, a qualifying match has nowhere near the weight of a tournament knockout match.

7. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Speaking of which, I know the Netherlands are Germany's archrivals, but I would really like them to win a World Cup at least once, because their measly 1988 Euro compared to Germany's four World Cups and three Euros makes the rivalry look much too lopsided. A World Cup title for the Dutch would give the rivalry some much needed credibility, and after two near misses (1974, 1978) and the biggest robbery in World Cup history (seriously, fvck Spain) I hope the achieve it sooner rather than later.

Ger90 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wish they had won 78 and 10 WC though.

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The France Football Ballon d'Or jury will vote for an all-time best XI this year.

Maier and Neuer for GKs.
    [​IMG]

Kaltz, Lahm and Vogts for RB.
    [​IMG]

Beckenbauer and Sammer for CBs.
    [​IMG]

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Once again, a jury composed of well-known German sports journalists sat down to expand the Hall of Fame of German football. Five new members have now made it into the 2020 class.

The Hall of Fame is linked to the German Football Museum and was created in 2018 with a founding eleven for men. After its first expansion in 2019, a decision was made this year about further new additions.

In the end, the legends Berti Vogts, Andy Möller, Michael Ballack, Rudi Völler and Klaus Fischer prevailed in the debate. "With Berti Vogts, we are paying tribute to a great personality who shaped German football in the 1970s. Andreas Möller and Michael Ballack embody recent German football history. And Klaus Fischer and Rudi Völler are among the outstanding center strikers that German football produced has ”, commented museum director Manuel Neukirchner on the new additions.

The journalists were able to nominate athletes for an appointment to the Hall of Fame in advance. Footballers since 1900 may be taken into account. The only requirement: the players' careers must have ended for over five years. Neukirchner praised the discussions about this year's decision: "The controversial discussion in the jury about the chosen and not elected players has again impressively demonstrated the relevance of the HALL OF FAME".

Völler: Proud to belong to the inner circle of players
    Even the new members of the Hall of Fame did not leave their appointment uncommented. "To be one of the top players of all time in a football country like Germany is a great story. You know what wonderful players have played for Germany in the past decades - now that I belong to the closer circle, it makes me a little proud and is also not a matter of course ", Rudi Völler is quoted as saying.

Defensive legend Vogts is "proud to be able to join". He did not expect that, nor did Andy Möller, who was surprised. The world and European champion continues: "I'm already looking forward to receiving the award in person at the German Football Museum and meeting some old companions again."

12. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ballack had a few superb years - and probably in those years one of the best world wide . Just a pity the NT did not have enough quality players in that time to make it a great generation . Ballack took Germany further at the WC 2002 then they should have ever gotten ... kudos to him !

ShadowX, Ger90 and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    A common narrative from football pundits as far back as I can remember is that the German NT plays gritty pragmatic football which eschews finesse and technique, but I've spent quite a lot of time viewing videos of German squads in tournaments dating back to the 1954 World Cup and I can say that their claims are false for the most part.

The only squads that played the gritty football everyone is talking about were in 1982 and 2002, because I found Germany to be amongst the most technically proficient teams.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah I remember even as a kid in 90s, English or American media always said that Germans are just big physical and never give up.........and that's it.

so much ********ing anti-German propaganda, LMAO.

not only that but a lot of the media narrative seems like Germany rarely produces any world class players.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Blueberry_night and BVBFNM repped this.
  15. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I also don't get where this stereotype of German footballers being big and strong comes from.

- Toni Turek was the tallest player out of the 1954 World Cup winning squad at 1.83 m, the rest were no taller than 1.75 m.
    - The 1974 squad was also made up scrawny guys of average height.

It's not until the 1990 squad that tall players become a regular feature, and the 2014 squad is the tallest one per average height, and yet they have slim athletic, rather than muscular, builds. The only footballer who embodies the archetype of the big strong German is Horst Hrubesch, who is 1.88 m and was fairly muscular for footballer.

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  16. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think this is more due to 94-98 generation. With Bierhoff, Jancker, Zickler, Kohler, even our wingback in Christian Ziege is quite tall.

Nevertheless, no need to mind this. Especially I think people now realized since 2006, our players is focusing more on technique.

Ger90 repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  19. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If you're the superstitious type, it seems like scoring the winning goal in the World Cup final is the worst thing that can happen to a German footballer.

- Helmut Rahn: Had financial struggles and battled alcoholism after his playing career ended.
    - Gerd Müller: Fell into a deep depression and alcoholism post-football career, but was fortunately rescued by his friends who helped him find a job as Bayern youth coach.
    - Andreas Brehme: Financial struggles.

In the case of Götze and Schürrle, the victory comedown seems to have hit Schürrle hardest, as he retired from football altogether, whilst Götze seems happy at PSV.

It's worth noting that Matthäus came off as a real dickhead for criticizing Mertesacker after he opened up on the mental toll the sport was taking on him.

20. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    What's that with Matthaeus criticize Merte about what?

Ger90 repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The nation's bomber turns 75
    Flick: "Gerd Müller was my greatest idol!"

It's currently the time of the big birthdays: Pelé turned 80 last week, Diego Maradona 60 on Friday. And next week Gerd Müller will celebrate his 75th birthday.

For Hansi Flick (55) it is clear who is the greatest: Gerd Müller!
    Flick enthuses: "My great role model at the beginning was Paul Breitner. But right at the beginning Gerd Müller was my absolute idol! He was the footballer I was just looking for. He was simply the coolest kicker for me in my childhood because he scored the goals at the front with such a matter of course that it doesn't exist anymore - well, it's still there with Lewy. But for me he was my idol in my youth.

When Flick himself became a player at Bayern, he got to know the "bomber of the nation" personally. Flick: "I was very happy that I got to know him when I played for Bayern. Of course, alongside Hermann Gerland in many regional league games against Bayern when I was coach in Hoffenheim. I also played tennis with him once . "

Flick is informed about Müller's history of illness: "I currently know what his situation is like through Hermann Gerland, who has always been in contact with him. I wish him all the best on his birthday and good health."
    https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/...er-war-mein-groesstes-idol-73681114.bild.html

Alex C repped this.
  22. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Mertesacker said that the stress of being a footballer in the final years of his career was wearing him down or something like that, later on Matthäus berated him for his statements.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  23. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Really? What an 4ss thing to say from Matthaeus. He himself played in time / era footballer was merely an athlete rather than celebrity.

Now the pressure of professional footballer is like hell with those social media and whatnot. Completely different context. That's not really nice from Matthaeus to say that but we always know that he is a d1ckhead.

Ger90 repped this.
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Uschi Müller (wife of Bayern legend Gerd Müller): "He eats next to nothing, can hardly swallow, lies in bed for almost 24 hours, & has only a few waking moments. It is so nice when he opens his eyes for a moment. He can sometimes signal yes and no with the blink of an eye" [Bild]

Uschi Müller: "He has always been a fighter, has always been brave, all his life. He is now too. Gerd sleeps towards its end. He has closed his eyes, is dozing, only rarely opens his mouth, and is given pureed food."

Uschi Müller: "He's calm, peaceful, I don't think he's suffering and is slowly passing to the afterlife in his sleep"

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Uli Hoeness said that he feels Lewandowski doesn’t quite score goals in the same ways that Müller did during his playing days.

Of course, the game has changed significantly since Müller hung up his boots for good, so the general composition of a striker in today’s, modern game is different than what it was decades ago. Still, Hoeness feels that there was a different type of grit to Müller’s instinct in front of goal than Lewandowski’s, not to discredit the Polish talisman in any way. As Hoeness attested to, Lewandowski could be the one to break Müller’s single Bundesliga season scoring record of 40 goals, but just not in the same way: “Robert Lewandowski is definitely a great striker, and it could even be that he breaks Gerd’s Bundesliga record of 40 goals this season. But he doesn’t score goals like Gerd with his shin, chest or with his knee.”

Perhaps a testament to Lewandowski’s finely tuned finishing abilities, Hoeness went on to say that Müller’s style often times consisted of scoring goals that barely crossed the goal line, no matter what part of his body it came off of or how scrappy of a goal it was: “Gerd didn’t care how he got the ball in. He just had to somehow get it across the line. Robert shoots the thing into the net, with Gerd the ball often stayed just inches over the goal line.”

Hoeness also recalled the first time he met Müller during his playing days along with Sepp Maier and Franz Beckenbauer. He humorously recounted Müller’s welcoming attitude when Hoeness didn’t know how formally he should be addressing the trio of German legends: “When Gerd Müller, Franz Beckenbauer and Sepp Maier showed up, I was very excited and thought to myself: ‘Here come the big stars that you saw on TV at the World Cup before,’” he said. “And I asked myself: ‘Do you say Mr. Müller now? Mr. Beckenbauer? Mr. Maier?’ But Gerd immediately said: ‘Are you crazy, stop it, I’m Gerd.’”